Shift delay going from P to D on a 2016 GT

pdlpsher

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech & I-Active Sense
Hi All,

I did a search of this problem and the last comment posted was in 2012. There was no resolution nor diagnosis so I'm posting a new topic on this problem.

My tranny is fine except going from P to D on flat ground. The gear indicator says D but when I press the gas pedal nothing happens for two seconds. Then the gear changes and the car lunges forward. The delay seems to be variable and independent of temperature. Sometimes the delay is long and sometimes is short. I could always replicate the problem.

I've never driven a car with a delay this long.

Is this a design of the CX-5 or is there a defect in my car? I know I'm not the only one who's seeing the problem. But the last report of the same issue was in 2012! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's likely just a trans calibration issue that might be fixable just by taking it in to a dealer.

Thanks. It's weird it only happens from P or R to D. I will call the dealer to see what they say.

There was a TSB for shift shock on very early models, haven't seen much of a report since. It sounds like a one-off calibration issue. You might try the steps listed here (follow them exactly) that will re-train the tranmission: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-UEF3LTl6YmRuVDg/edit

I did that once on my '14 and it improved off the line starts. Something to try before a trip to the dealer.

There was a TSB for shift shock on very early models, haven't seen much of a report since. It sounds like a one-off calibration issue. You might try the steps listed here (follow them exactly) that will re-train the tranmission: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY4-KaDJV-UEF3LTl6YmRuVDg/edit

I did that once on my '14 and it improved off the line starts. Something to try before a trip to the dealer.

This is interesting. The learning procedure step 1 is to ensure the ATF fluid is at 60 degrees or above. Possibly a safety measure hence the delay. OP- do you warm up the car first? Try warming up the car until the blue light disappears OR wait at least say 45 seconds to a minute. Maybe a bit more if its really cold. Then try the other steps thereafter.

I have a 2016 AWD with 4000 miles on the odometer and the response is instantaneous, you need to take it in to the dealer. May be just an adjustment.

There is something definitely wrong. Take it back and get it checked out, I remember another member having the same issue and it causing some very violent lunges forward.

Let us know what happens.

This is interesting. The learning procedure step 1 is to ensure the ATF fluid is at 60 degrees or above. Possibly a safety measure hence the delay. OP- do you warm up the car first? Try warming up the car until the blue light disappears OR wait at least say 45 seconds to a minute. Maybe a bit more if its really cold. Then try the other steps thereafter.

I've seen the rare shift shock like he describes, less than a handful of times, always when transmission is cold and going from R to D - like after backing down my drive. But it sounds like he experiences it frequently.

Hi All,

The issue happens whether the car is cold or warm. Also, the amount of delay varies each time. Sometimes the delay could be as long as 3-4 seconds. Never has the tranny shifted instantly from R to D. I think the issue is one of electronics. This is because the tranny shifts fine on all other gear changes.

I will look at the tranny training procedure. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,

The issue happens whether the car is cold or warm. Also, the amount of delay varies each time. Sometimes the delay could be as long as 3-4 seconds. Never has the tranny shifted instantly from R to D. I think the issue is one of electronics. This is because the tranny shifts fine on all other gear changes.

I will look at the tranny training procedure. Thanks for sharing.

Highly unusual, you should take this to the dealer.

Here's an update. I took the car to the dealer today. The service adviser said the master tech couldn't duplicate my complaint however he did notice the shift from R to D was slow. He found a TSB and it suggested checking a sensor. The tech found the sensor to be ok. The TSB then says if the sensor is good then update the tranny software. He did that. There were also no trouble codes found by the tech (it doesn't surprise me).

I picked up the car after the service dept. had closed for the day. I backed up my car out of the parking stall and shifted to D. Then gas it and the car did nothing for 2 seconds.

So much for my time stopping by the dealer today. I don't really know what to do as the next step.

Last edited:
Here's an update. I took the car to the dealer today. The service adviser said the master tech couldn't duplicate my complaint however he did notice the shift from R to D was slow. He found a TSB and it suggested checking a sensor. The tech found the sensor to be ok. The TSB then says if the sensor is good then update the tranny software. He did that. There were also no trouble codes found by the tech (it doesn't surprise me).

I picked up the car after the service dept. had closed for the day. I backed up my car out of the parking stall and shifted to D. Then gas it and the car did nothing for 2 seconds.

So much for my time stopping by the dealer today. I don't really know what to do as the next step.
I wonder if the tech did the appropriate LEARN procedure after resetting the transmission software? You would think so?

I would return the car and give the service department another chance to fix it. Let them know that it has not been fixed, perhaps even demonstrating the fault to the service manager/technician.

I recommend treating every warranty visit as if it was going to turn into a lemon law claim. That way, if the dealer can't repair it permanently in a reasonable amount of time, you drive home in a brand new vehicle. This means insisting that every repair visit is written up with enough detail to identify the reason for the visit. Here's the relevant part of the CO lemon law:

(a) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the warranty if:
(i) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer within the warranty term or during a period of one year following the date of the original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer, whichever is the earlier date, but such nonconformity continues to exist; or
(ii) The motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more business days of the repairer during the term specified in subparagraph (I) of this paragraph (a) or during the period specified in said subparagraph (I), whichever is the earlier date.

Of course this assumes you are correctly diagnosing the behavior as a fault. For example, I have no idea how the transmission's computer responds to irregular driver inputs because I always shift and drive in a orderly and regular manner. So I don't know how the vehicle would respond if I had my foot lightly depressing the accelerator while shifting from P to D. Or what it would do if I didn't briefly pause after dropping it into D before I pressed the accelerator. I've never tried these things. But, if you are operating the controls in a regular manner you should not experience a 2 second delay.

When you say "the car did nothing for 2 seconds" are you saying the accelerator was depressed but the engine's RPM's remained at idle? Or did the RPM's rise for 2 seconds as if it was in Neutral before it finally slammed into gear and accelerated violently?

Have the service writer sit in the car with you and demonstrate it. Some dealerships are decent and some are staffed by idiots.

When you say "the car did nothing for 2 seconds" are you saying the accelerator was depressed but the engine's RPM's remained at idle? Or did the RPM's rise for 2 seconds as if it was in Neutral before it finally slammed into gear and accelerated violently?

The RPM would rise but the car doesn't move. Once the gear shift is done then the car lunges forward. The degree of the lunge depends on how hard I press on the accelerator.

I have no clue why the service adviser said the tech couldn't duplicate the problem but he thought the shift WAS slow. My complaint was that sometimes it would take up to three seconds for the shift to occur. However I did state that the delay is highly variable however I could always detect a delay of some degree.

Thanks for the heads up on the lemon law.

In hindsight I should have asked the service adviser or the technician to ride in the car with me. By the time I picked up the car the service department had already closed.

Below is some info. I found in the Mazda3Revolution forum. This was back in 2014. The thread ended with no update nor a resolution.

Quoted from Mazda3Revolution
I brought my car in yesterday for the intermittent hesitation when pulling away from a stop or after a slow turn or after slowing down and needing to speed up on the freeway. It also sometimes is slow to shift from reverse to drive and doesn't slow down at times when I take my foot off the gas pedal.
It didn't act up during their test drive (of course) and they wanted me to ride with the mechanic. It still didn't do it for him but while we were talking he said he had someone with this issue and they replaced the valve body. He said he would try to get this done.
1/2 hour later Mazda refused to authorize the service. He said they were really tough to deal with and always tried to get out of warranty repairs.
He said they told him to re-set the tranny software and see what happens.
If it happens again (and it will) I will contact Mazda directly because one of these days my car will be plowed into by the car behind me.
GM has social media at least which reaches out on forums like this to get help direct from corporate, I guess Mazda thinks their s*** don't stink and they don't want to bother with good customer service.
I'll see where it goes from here but not very happy right now

My car has taken a turn for the worst. Now the delay could last up to 7-8 seconds. And now I'm seeing other shift related problems which didn't happen before. I was at a stop light with the foot on the brake pedal. The light turned green and I pressed on the accelerator. The car jerked forward violently. Also the 4th to 3rd downshift is very rough. I took the car to the dealer and the service advisor agreed with me that I should better leave the car with them and not drive it anymore. They gave me a curtesy rental car as they won't have a chance to look at it until Monday. My car only has 2,800 miles on the odometer.

Last edited:
My car has taken a turn for the worst. Now the delay could last up to 7-8 seconds. And now I'm seeing other shift related problems which didn't happen before. I was at a stop light with the foot on the pedal. The light turned green and I pressed on the accelerator. The car jerked forward violently. Also the 4th to 3rd downshift is very rough. I took the car to the dealer and the service advisor agreed with me that I should better leave the car with them and not drive it anymore. They gave me a curtesy rental car as they won't have a chance to look at it until Monday. My car only has 2,800 miles on the odometer.

This is good news, I think. Now they have to get to the bottom of it!

What did they give you to drive while you wait to get your car back? I haven't needed a loaner with the CX-5 but whenever I rent another car when traveling, I'm disappointed. The CX-5 with it's crisp, balanced steering, proportional braking, bump absorption without drama and nice, crisp shifting has me spoiled! Anyway, good luck with your CX-5.It's a shame it has such a serious sounding issue when new. I know it's no consolation for you but this is very rare. Hopefully it will just be a bad ground, relay or connector!

This is good news, I think. Now they have to get to the bottom of it!

What did they give you to drive while you wait to get your car back? I haven't needed a loaner with the CX-5 but whenever I rent another car when traveling, I'm disappointed. The CX-5 with it's crisp, balanced steering, proportional braking, bump absorption without drama and nice, crisp shifting has me spoiled! Anyway, good luck with your CX-5.It's a shame it has such a serious sounding issue when new. I know it's no consolation for you but this is very rare. Hopefully it will just be a bad ground, relay or connector!

Yeah. I was thinking of the same thing. It's better to have it fixed now than have a serious problem come up while I'm on a road trip.

Understood that my problem is rare. I did a pretty extensive search on the internet and I only found a handful of cases similar to mine.

They gave me a Ford Escape with the 2.5L engine. Oh gosh this car is day and night from the CX-5. The throttle has that on-off feeling you get from a Toyota. It's difficult to drive smoothly in the city because the tiniest throttle movement makes the car accelerate more than what I wanted. I guess the on-off tuning of throttle is preferred by the average American driver? I'm not surprised! The CX-5 is far superior in every way. I'm glad I got the CX-5.

Back