2019 CX-5 2.0L Petrol: Auto Transmission jerky…Help

After driving my new-used 2019 automatic petrol cx-5 (26000miles) for few month, I have noticed something really bothering me! When the car shifts from 4-5 gear there is a slight jolt/hiccup. It does not slip or hesitating but I can feel the gear shifting and I feel the jerkiness(all the other gears are fine and can’t feel the shifting)

It happens all the time(cold and warm). When it happens, the rpm does not jump and occurs with any rpm(slightly less jerkiness when the rpm is lower than 2000). I tried to floor it but it’s more noticeable with higher rpm.

I am not sure if it’s how the Mazda’s 6 speed automatic transmission is designed or I should get this looked at. Does anyone have similar issue as this? I have tried transmission re-learn but it doesn’t seem to help. Thank you!

All of my experiences with 5 different Mazda skyactiv automatics have been flawlessly smooth. Your description doesn't sound normal to me.

My 2020 had some instances of rough shifting like this. There was also a frequent chirp noise when the transmission shifted. Dealer looked into it, confirmed problem, and replaced the transmission under warranty.

My 2020 had some instances of rough shifting like this. There was also a frequent chirp noise when the transmission shifted. Dealer looked into it, confirmed problem, and replaced the transmission under warranty.
Thank you! Mine does not make chirp noise but hopefully it will be sorted did yours rough shift during heavy acceleration?

Thank you! Mine does not make chirp noise but hopefully it will be sorted did yours rough shift during heavy acceleration?
Rough shifts were not limited to heavy acceleration and were intermittent. I didn't really realize how poorly the transmission was performing until after it was replaced with a new one. The primary symptom I noticed was the chirp sound.

Thank you, I booked dealer so hopefully it will get looked at!
Don't waste your time with the dealer, they will attempt to scam you into replacing your entire transmission for thousands of dollars.

What is your mileage?

Take the car to a transmission shop. They will take care of it.

I suggest consulting with a reputable trans shop first.

Change the transmission fluid and filter. It's just a solenoid causing the jerky shift. Maybe the solenoid will have to be replaced as well. It's not an expensive fix, and it will entirely fix your issue.

In the meantime, drive gently, particularly when going through the 4-5 shift.

Don't waste your time with the dealer, they will attempt to scam you into replacing your entire transmission for thousands of dollars.

What is your mileage?

Take the car to a transmission shop. They will take care of it.

I suggest consulting with a reputable trans shop first.

Change the transmission fluid and filter. It's just a solenoid causing the jerky shift. Maybe the solenoid will have to be replaced as well. It's not an expensive fix, and it will entirely fix your issue.

In the meantime, drive gently, particularly when going through the 4-5 shift.
Thank you! Mine is still under used car warranty so I am hoping they will do something at the dealership… I will take it to trans shop if it won’t get fixed!

Thank you! Mine is still under used car warranty so I am hoping they will do something at the dealership… I will take it to trans shop if it won’t get fixed!
Maybe they will try a drain and fill.. Wouldn't hurt. The proper way to address the issue is to have the pan dropped, solenoids, valve body inspected, strainer/filter replaced, magnet cleaned, bottom of the pan cleaned out, all that good stuff. They won't do any of that. Rather just wait for our transmissions to break, pull it out, refurbish, put another refurbed trans in, thousands of dollars out of your pocket into theirs.

Go ahead and see what the dealer has to say and let us know. Just remember that an AT replacement totally not necessary.

Maybe they will try a drain and fill.. Wouldn't hurt. The proper way to address the issue is to have the pan dropped, solenoids, valve body inspected, strainer/filter replaced, magnet cleaned, bottom of the pan cleaned out, all that good stuff. They won't do any of that. Rather just wait for our transmissions to break, pull it out, refurbish, put another refurbed trans in, thousands of dollars out of your pocket into theirs.

Go ahead and see what the dealer has to say and let us know. Just remember that an AT replacement totally not necessary.
The latest fix from Mazda is to replace the torque converter rather than the entire transmission. Seems the root cause is vibration introduced by cylinder deactivation, torque converter was redesigned in attempt to compensate. An indy transmission shop may or may not be up to speed on this level of detail.

If under powertrain warranty (seems so), let dealer handles it.
If not, if I were you, I would do ATF drain-n-refill a couple times to see if the problem persists.
Low cost measures first.
Transmission reset also. No cost at all. Try that also.

Back