For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

jeisensc

:
2013 CX-5 AWD GT w/ Tech Package
The CX-5 has its first NHTSA complaints:

Click this link http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm and search for 10474373

I WAS DRIVING AT THE LISTED SPEED ON THE NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE. WITHOUT WARNING, THE VEHICLE WENT FROM SIXTH GEAR TO FOURTH, RAPIDLY LOSING SPEED IN THE FAR LEFT LANE. THE TIRE PRESSURE INDICATOR LIGHT CAME ON FLASHING, AND THE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT CAME ON SOLID YELLOW. I PULLED THE VEHICLE ONTO THE SHOULDER TO CHECK THE TIRES, PER THE INDICATOR, AND NOTICED NONE OF THE TIRES WAS DEFLATED. WHEN I RESTARTED THE VEHICLE, THE TIRE PRESSURE AND TRACTION LIGHTS WERE SOLID YELLOW, ALONG WITH THE ENGINE AND "AT" TRANSMISSION LIGHT. WHILE THERE WAS NO NOTICEABLE EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION ONCE RESTARTED, I COULD NOT USE THE SELECT-A-GEAR FEATURE OF MY TRANSMISSION. I WAS TOLD AT THE DEALERSHIP WHERE I BROUGHT THE VEHICLE THAT THERE WERE ISSUES WITH THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE, AND THAT SOFTWARE UPDATES WERE REQUIRED. THE VEHICLE WAS RETURNED SEVERAL DAYS LATER, WITH THE WARNING LIGHTS RESOLVED, BUT TOLD THAT THEY WERE UNCERTAIN AS TO WHETHER IT WAS A DEFINITIVE FIX. THERE HAVE BEEN NO RECURRENCES SINCE THE ORIGINAL INCIDENT.

Has anyone else heard from Mazda that there is an update to the transmission control unit, or is this BS?

WOW same thing happened to me about two months ago while driving on local roads. After a stop light I was accelerating and suddenly my TPM came on with traction control light... pulled over and check tires but everything was good. turned off car and restarted without any lights coming back on... hasn't happened again but seems like I'm not the only one with this issue.

Speed limit on the left lane of turnpike is 80 :D, I drive that and parts of Garden State Parkway everyday and going 75 on both I am passed by many. I'm a speed demon myself so I love it but I don't push the limits of these troopers.

Never heard of this before, might be bs.

It's a shame you can't get the 6 speed manual on anything except the base trim. The ONLY reason it's there is to advertise 35 mpg on the highway (compared to 32 with the automatic).

while not the same expereince, i have noticed that if i driving in 5th or 6th gear, i flip the shifter from auto to semi auto, that it drops a gear as i do so. is this normal or something wrong?

My mazda 3 would downshift if i moved it from A to M with my foot off the accelerator, but keep the current gear if my foot was on the accelerator when switching from A to M. The idea is it assumes that if you are not accelerating that you probably want to engine brake when shifting to M. I havent tried this on my cx5 tho but i assume its the same.

My Lexus IS goes from 6 to 4 at normal freeway speeds when going to Manual mode, for both engine braking and/or quick acceleration.

Mine just went back to dealer Monday due to the same type of issue. Told it needed a transmission valve body. Will be at least a month before I get my car back! Very disappointed.

Mine just went back to dealer Monday due to the same type of issue. Told it needed a transmission valve body. Will be at least a month before I get my car back! Very disappointed.

Did they give you a decent SUV loaner?

I been lurking on these forums ever since i bought my CX-5, but now i have something to say. This happened to me the other night comming home from work. I was using manual mode to shift gears, and it seem to drop a couple of gears and engine revving as i was losing speed. I could not use the manual mode anymore as i noticed the numbers wouldn't show up on the dash. So i put the thing back in automatic and gave it gas and the tach starting revving but i wasn't gaining speed right away. Then it kicked in and worked in automatic mode for the last mile home. As this was happening the tire monitoring system was flashing and the traction light came on and stayed on. I pulled the car into driveway,turned off and turned back on and everything was normal. I even went around the block again to see if the lights would come back on and the manual mode would act up but it didn't. I called my dealer and talked to someone in the shop and he said that the lights would come on if the pressure in the tires was like 3 pounds different from 1 tire to another. He tells me to check the tires and that should correct the problem, and if it doesn't then call back. I know right there thats not the problem as i check tires every month and just filled them last week to 36psi. Something wacky with transmission. If the lights stayed on,i would bring to dealer to have them look at it. Does anyone know if the car save those codes when the lights come on and flash like the SES light? I have a code reader i could hook up and get info if they save it. I should of waited for year 2 model until they get the kinks out. Very bummed:'(

I'm pretty sure the car saves the codes but don't quote me on it. As for the tranny problem, I've already heard of a similar issue on this forum, just can't recall the location. It sounds like a re-flash or new software update is needed, but I guess the dealer will only do it if they see the problem.

Good luck with the issue. Oh and welcome to the forum!

Never heard of this before, might be bs.

It's a shame you can't get the 6 speed manual on anything except the base trim. The ONLY reason it's there is to advertise 35 mpg on the highway (compared to 32 with the automatic).

And for people who prefer to row they're own. Better mpg's, better performance, better control. I wish more people would opt for the manual. We'd have less people pissing with they're cell phones if they actually had to pay attention to they're driving.

Back