First CX-5 Transmission Has Been Replaced

fusion360

:
CX-5 Touring AWD Moonroof & Bose package
Hi all! New CX-5 and new to the forum. Wanted to share my experience with everyone.

At 550 miles (3 days of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Immediately, I contacted my dealer and dropped off the car to have them inspect it. They provided me with a rental for the duration of the repair. After a day, they contacted me saying Mazda USA wanted to replace the transmission; it was the first one to be replaced in the country.

It took 1 week to have the tranny shipped, replaced and road tested. Since then, I have put 1000 miles on her with no tranny issues.

Although the dealership and Mazda USA has been good about keeping me updated throughout the process, my confidence in their product has taken a serious hit. This is my first Mazda and after doing a lot of research and talking to many people praising their reliability, Im left wondering what, if anything, will happen next.

The folks at headquarters have offered to pay 1 monthly payment. But I kindly turned them down and asked them to give me an extended warranty through Mazda USA for my peace of mind. Plus, I want Mazda to stand by their product and make me believe I made the right choice in purchasing the CX-5.

They said, I'm terribly sorry to keep you waiting. I unfortunately have some mixed news for you. Mazda would like to provide you with our upcoming extended warranty. The bad news is that I have not been able to produce an ETA as to when this program will be announced/assigned to your Mazda CX-5. At this point I know it will be during the summer. Please accept my apology for the current lack of information. I assure you we are close to knowing when the program will be issued.

Anyone know if they are blowing smoke and does anyone think I made the right choice in asking for an extended warranty? Thanks!

My experience buying a Masda 3 Skyactive with an extended warranty would support the story you have related. The local Mazda dealer was part of the Penski dealerships and wanted to sell me their warranty (their are a lot of 3rd part offerings) but I insisted on one that had the Mazda name on it. In late November 2011 they showed me an email from Mazda that indicated Mazda was going to stop the current relationship with the warranty company they were using and were developing a new offering... My belief is Mazda puts their name on it but the actual warranty (really an insurance policy) is administered by a warranty company under contract but requires a Mazda dealership do the work. At the end of the year the exteded warranty offering was taken off the US website and has yet to return which also supports this story...

Mazda have an excellent track record. The Japanese are particularly tough on themselves to make sure a product is at the highest, most consistent quality standard.

But every manufacturer and model will have a couple of exceptions to the rule.

Being a brand new model, with very few components sourced from previous models means that the CX-5 is a testing ground. The transmission is new and untested in any other model.

Reminds me of something that occurred in the aviation world.
The brand new A380 has 4 x Rolls Royce engines that are untested on any other aircraft model. They were tested to aviation standards (which are extremely high - much higher than automotive standards).

Rolls Royce found a fault with an oil pipe in the engine that was no large than the size of ones palm. They started to replace the part on all aircraft with their engines.

Qantas had all of their aircraft retrofitted, except for one. This "one" aircraft was due for the fix, but the part failed a week prior.
See videos (4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGiITFlaafI

The incident was found to be Rolls Royce's fault. The repair was about $200 million - the most expensive in aviation history.
It occurred on 4th November 2010, but the aircraft had its first flight since then only last week.

So even with the very strictest of standards.... sh*t happens.

That said, I hope that your old transmission proves to be fault free.

Sorry to hear about the tranny and glad you are back in your car. I gotta say I'm really impressed with Mazda's response. If this were VW, you would still be waiting for a guy with a German accent to call you and tell you when the part will be shipped.

I had a 1990 Nissan pickup that had an valve train failure at 4000 miles, and they had the car for a month. Meanwhile, they loaned me a Pontiac Grand Am (the driver side window fell down inside the door a few hours after taking possession). When I finally got my truck back, like you, I was very concerned about the build quality.

I think Mazda did great so far. Let's see how the new tranny works out. The CX-5 is a very important turning point for Mazda. This new tech has to be successful to get them back in the game, especially with the increased competition from the South Korean auto industry. They cannot afford to drop the ball. Please keep us posted.

PS. It turned out that my Nissan truck engine had a curly piece of aluminum that had been left over during the machining process. It had swam around in the oil and finally been sucked up into the hydraulic valve adjusting system oil passage. This had caused the valve rocker arms to get very slack and beat the hell out of themselves. Nissan replaced the entire valve train only to start the engine up and have the arms destroy themselves again. That's when they tore the engine down and discovered the cork screw shaped piece of aluminum blocking the oil passage. The happy ending, if I may use that phrase in mixed company, was that the engine ran fantastically for another 40k miles before I sold the truck. The engine had received a free retorquing of every bolt after 4000 miles of shakedown, a true blessing in disguise.

Inodes, If you check the specfications I think you will find that the Skyactive G and transmissions have been on the Mazda 3 since November 2011 as my daughter has been driving one that works very well after six months. I think all the ratios for the gears are the same for the auto but they revised the manual to give it a wider gear ratio for the CX-5 which is probabably why the mileage flipped from being better on the 3 auto rather than the 3 manual and to better on the CX-5 manual than the auto...

Seems like a class act to me. Something broke, they fixed it - quickly, while providing a rental. That's what the warranty is for, right?

Funny thing is that we traded in a 2007 VW Jetta that had been in the shop 3 times within a 2 month period to have the ECU, temp sensor and ambient temp sensor replaced on separate occasions.

First that we know of, not that I expect it to be common.

Sound like the warranty service is top notch, I hope all goes well for OP.

Hi all! New CX-5 and new to the forum. Wanted to share my experience with everyone.

At 550 miles (3 days of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that – the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Immediately, I contacted my dealer and dropped off the car to have them inspect it. They provided me with a rental for the duration of the repair. After a day, they contacted me saying Mazda USA wanted to replace the transmission; it was the first one to be replaced in the country.

It took 1 week to have the tranny shipped, replaced and road tested. Since then, I have put 1000 miles on her with no tranny issues.

Although the dealership and Mazda USA has been good about keeping me updated throughout the process, my confidence in their product has taken a serious hit. This is my first Mazda and after doing a lot of research and talking to many people praising their reliability, I’m left wondering what, if anything, will happen next.

The folks at headquarters have offered to pay 1 monthly payment. But I kindly turned them down and asked them to give me an extended warranty through Mazda USA for my peace of mind. Plus, I want Mazda to stand by their product and make me believe I made the right choice in purchasing the CX-5.

They said, “I'm terribly sorry to keep you waiting. I unfortunately have some mixed news for you. Mazda would like to provide you with our upcoming extended warranty. The bad news is that I have not been able to produce an ETA as to when this program will be announced/assigned to your Mazda CX-5. At this point I know it will be during the summer. Please accept my apology for the current lack of information. I assure you we are close to knowing when the program will be issued.”

Anyone know if they are blowing smoke and does anyone think I made the right choice in asking for an extended warranty? Thanks!

With all due respect to say your "confidence in the product has taken a serious hit" is a bit much. Every product has an issue here or there what matters is the way they handled it which was first class. To expect further failure is just a bit too much doom and gloom. Like other people said this is what the warranty is for. Ive owned about 8 Mazdas and each one of them was good to great. If I were you I'd just sit back, relax and enjoy your car. Mazda has a lot riding on skyactiv so they're do their best to not drop the ball. Relax have a beer :)

Funny thing is that we traded in a 2007 VW Jetta that had been in the shop 3 times within a 2 month period to have the ECU, temp sensor and ambient temp sensor replaced on separate occasions.

Ahh now I see why your a bit worried. don't worry Mazda is not VW.

With all due respect, if the OP formed the opinion of "confidence in the product has taken a serious hit" after the tranny failed, I can understand that. The specific vehicle that they happen to own has failed and is disabled.

The rest of us with perfectly running Mazda's will certainly have a different opinion, that's understandable too.

I do appreciate the report, certainly one of a kind so far and gives us good feedback on the warranty follow through. I hope the rental/loaner is decent.

It’s to be expected when buying a brand new technology. There’s always more risk when buying the first year of a model, and now since this model has an engine and transmission that haven’t been out for more than a year, guaranteed there’s a few bound to go wrong.

I’m happy to see that Mazda is taking it very seriously. It’s the first to go in North America. That’s almost great compared to any other auto manufacturer with new tech.

It's better to have the problem early than late.

Automatic transmissions have always been more liable to issues, and even companies like Honda are not immune. Manual transmissions are simpler and easier to maintain ans service. Hopefully Mazda can offer the manual on more trims.

Plus, I want Mazda to stand by their product and make me believe I made the right choice in purchasing the CX-5.

I truly sympathize with your situation, and understand where you're coming from. I had an oil seep issue with my only brand new car, a Honda, a few years ago. From where I'm sitting it sounds like Mazda took very good care of you.

Like others have mentioned, there are other car companies (especially non-luxury brands) that wouldn't have treated you as well or been as forthcoming with information.

I hope your Mazda CX-5 is flawless from here on out!

Quick Update - I have driven an additional 2500 miles on the new tranny and no issues thus far! I'll report back on their extended warranty coverage when I get more info.

Quick Update - I have driven an additional 2500 miles on the new tranny and no issues thus far! I'll report back on their extended warranty coverage when I get more info.
It has been a few months. Is your new tranny still working well?

At 550 miles (3 days of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Although the dealership and Mazda USA has been good about keeping me updated throughout the process, my confidence in their product has taken a serious hit. This is my first Mazda and after doing a lot of research and talking to many people praising their reliability, Im left wondering what, if anything, will happen next.

They said, I'm terribly sorry to keep you waiting. I unfortunately have some mixed news for you. Mazda would like to provide you with our upcoming extended warranty. The bad news is that I have not been able to produce an ETA as to when this program will be announced/assigned to your Mazda CX-5. At this point I know it will be during the summer. Please accept my apology for the current lack of information. I assure you we are close to knowing when the program will be issued.

Trust they aren't blowing smoke. They REPLACED the tranny. Mazda wants your's out of that car. They're crazy. Your CX-5 is going to be reliable.

I've had my 2013 Mazda CX-5 for 10 months, it has 17,000 miles on it and I felt the same slipping in the past few weeks. Yesterday my TSP, AT, DSC and Check Engine light came on and I could feel the gears slipping as I accelerated. I immediately stopped driving and called Mazda Roadside. They sent a tow truck quickly. I called the dealer to let them know I was on my way and that I was concerned that it was the transmission and if it was, I wanted to confirm that since it was still under warranty and under a year old, would they provide me with a courtesy car. The service man said they would take care of me and providing that no rodents chewed up wires of the transmission that it will be covered under warranty.

When I arrived at the dealership, the service adviser they assigned to me was was a nice lady, but she also mentioned that it should be covered under warranty unless they found chewed wires by a mouse or something. I find this odd that two service advisers mentioned the same reason that the warranty might not possibility be honored. They gave me a rental car until they can find the issue and fix my car.

I know it's a new model and there are usually bugs that need to be ironed out, the transmission is a huge deal in my opinion. I think I rather have the car replaced than have to deal with transmission issues after the warranty expires, especially since the car is so new. Am I crazy?

Has your CX-5 been running okay since your last post?

Back