rare violent and rough engine starts....

CodyZoom

:
2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Package (Sky Blue)
I've owned the vehicle for about a month now. It has only happened maybe 3 times, but upon startup, the engine seems to be starving for gas and almost cuts out as it desperately tries to run. This is only for about 2-3 seconds. It isn't the high rpm running for about 30 seconds, I understand that part is normal. This is much different and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Could it be a problem with the fuel injection? It hasn't been a problem, but I want to make sure it isn't destroying anything. I struggle to describe it well, but it seems to struggle badly upon startup, then after a few seconds it's fine. Any help is appreciated.

Rumble! That's the word I'm looking for. It's an abnormal rumbling that I've only heard when an engine isn't running properly.

I have noticed the same on my CX-5. It seems like a knocking to me and like you, CodyZoom, it only lasts a couple seconds. I have noticed it more when it's cold out. I plan to call the dealership on Monday to see what they say.

I've owned the vehicle for about a month now. It has only happened maybe 3 times, but upon startup, the engine seems to be starving for gas and almost cuts out as it desperately tries to run. This is only for about 2-3 seconds. It isn't the high rpm running for about 30 seconds, I understand that part is normal. This is much different and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Could it be a problem with the fuel injection? It hasn't been a problem, but I want to make sure it isn't destroying anything. I struggle to describe it well, but it seems to struggle badly upon startup, then after a few seconds it's fine. Any help is appreciated.

Just experienced the exact same thing this morning. Sounds like I'm starting a 88 civic for 4seconds.
Please keep us informed on what the dealer has to say about this.

Wow. Does this happen after the 30 seconds of noise at cold start? While the blue light is still on?

Wow. Does this happen after the 30 seconds of noise at cold start? While the blue light is still on?

For me, it happened immediately after I pushed the ignition button. Lasted for about 4 seconds, then the usual noise we hear happened. Didn't happen when starting the car at the end of my work day.

This Happens to me too , I've owned the vehicle for about 45 days now and I have 4000k on it happend 2-3 times and it is quite a rough start each time it looks like the engine receive bad fire sequence therfore generationg about 3 big knocking sound with about 400 to 500 rpm drops form each knoking ( 3 knocks within 10 seconds ) and a big vibration from the engine witch we clearly feel in the cabin ( I beleive each time the temp was a little over freezing point ) , and like you mention the engine desperately tries to run and back to normal no lights that would tell engine problem . I called service and describe the phenomenon and they told me if it does it again to bring it to Mazda for service but it happened 3 times with in 45 days and about 300 starts , so chances are it will start ok once in for service .

Interesting, wonder if some software/program update results later. Maybe the effort to warm up converter and minimize cold start emissions is a bit too aggressive, especially in colder climates...

Hasn't happened to me yet, but she mostly spends the night in our underground parking. I hope this isn't something too serious or widespread.

CodyZoom - Any news from your dealer service department on this cold start issue?

Mine does it too I think. For the first 5 seconds it sounds like it misfires and the engine stumbles a little and then catches itself. It does it almost every start now after the engine is completely cold. No MIL lamp though yet.

Haven't experienced this yet, but so far haven't had mornings colder than upper 40's F's around here.

Below was posted by Nizzy at the other thread. Maybe the engine starts that is being experienced by the OP and others here is because of this;

Mazda sent a news letter about the car to owners with some information about this and explained the process of the startup. They also specifically said that while the startup process takes 30 seconds to happen that there is no harm in driving right after turning the car on.

Here it is from the email.

Skyactiv Technology Tips

Have you noticed that your engine sounds different on some cold mornings? If so, you're hearing a unique piece of SKYACTIV combustion technology at work. The Accelerated Warm up System (AWS) uses higher engine RPM (about 1500 rpm) and a different combustion process to quickly warm up the catalyst for cleaner exhaust emissions. Listen closely and you can hear the engine sound get quieter and the RPM drop when the catalyst is up to temperature (this takes less than 30 seconds after a cold start).

NOTE: You don't need to wait for this warm up process before driving.

^ That's old news here and has been posted before.

Below was posted by Nizzy at the other thread. Maybe the engine starts that is being experienced by the OP and others here is because of this;

Mazda sent a news letter about the car to owners with some information about this and explained the process of the startup. They also specifically said that while the startup process takes 30 seconds to happen that there is no harm in driving right after turning the car on.

Here it is from the email.

Skyactiv Technology Tips

Have you noticed that your engine sounds different on some cold mornings? If so, you're hearing a unique piece of SKYACTIV combustion technology at work. The Accelerated Warm up System (AWS) uses higher engine RPM (about 1500 rpm) and a different combustion process to quickly warm up the catalyst for cleaner exhaust emissions. Listen closely and you can hear the engine sound get quieter and the RPM drop when the catalyst is up to temperature (this takes less than 30 seconds after a cold start).

NOTE: You don't need to wait for this warm up process before driving.

The information you posted is correct about the start up process, but the issue some of us have been seeing is slightly different. We are seeing symptoms in the first 5 seconds where the engine seems like it will shut off. Similar to what bad gas or bad plugs would do. The car runs fine afterwards, but I have only noticed this when the temp in the morning is fairly chilly.

For me, it happened immediately after I pushed the ignition button. Lasted for about 4 seconds, then the usual noise we hear happened. Didn't happen when starting the car at the end of my work day.

I spoke too soon (when I said I never experienced this in my first 7 weeks of ownership). This morning I think I experienced a bit of this when starting up at temperature of low 50's F outside. Just a slight stumble, almost like a misfire first thing, only lasted about 2 seconds max.

Back