Possible PCV fix from PTP

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=4&cID=4&pID=260

I just purchased one of these, it's been in testing and 'appears' to help solve part of the problem regarding smoking while idle. Basically, while at idle/cruise, the oil going to the turbo is under positive pressure, and the return line generates a positive pressure in the opposite direction (these may not be equal, not sure). When this happens, the oil has nowhere to go but out the seals, causing the infamous smoke.

With this installed, it causes the return line to the pan to create a vacuum, which a PCV system is designed to do, helping facilitate the oil back to the pan and keep the system flowing, providing proper lubrication to the turbo. In short, you go from this:

feed -----> ((0))<----- return

to this:

feed ----->((0))----> return

I will post more results when I have it installed and let everyone know how this works out. Rumor has it that it will help alleviate knock as well, which is actually the main reason I'm buying it. For $25, it may be the solution we've been looking for to the problem.

Also, I'm still waiting more info on the Mazda PCV fix. I may run both of them simultaneously to see what kind of improvements it makes, but that's down the road. I still need more information on the OEM fix before I can comment on it.

Also, the first post is merely my interpretation of various sources and the reasons behind the smoking. It may not be 100% accurate, but if someone knows more about it than me, I'll be more than happy to add info to the first post.

i've also bought one. i more curious to where it is installed but apparently its an easy 5min install wherever it goes. my car doesn't smoke but i bought it for the same reason as tunersteve, to alleviate PT knock retard.

i hope this alleviates the PT KR. It seems that now that its been in the 90s this week i get KR at 2.5-2.7k rpm every time in first gear, and in some of the other gears.

the item ptp is selling is a restrictor. it is not known where it goes yet because he is getting it patented and we won't find out til either he tells us or we get them and read the instructions. it basically allows more vacuum to the crankcase though so oil is drawn from turbo.

I've also been free and clear since the new turbo was put in, but I want to be on the safe side. Hopefully my source at Mazda will get back to me and I can get a part # for the OEM fix and provide more info on that as well. I may run both at the same time if I don't see a reason that it may hurt the car.

the part will be installed off the valve cover where the breather hose attaches per the thread over on msf.

Sounds like we'll have them before the end of the week, so we'll have some results soon. Install is going to be a breeze, so that's a good sign as well.

Back