ZPS Build Thread

Yea, I hardly saw anyone in the last open session. Pretty much had the track to myself. I need to pm you a link to some photos...there are some awesome shots of your car. Brake dust bronze looks so much better than gold!

OK couple of side notes.

1. Brakes started to feel a little off on the 2 at the track day. Not exactly sure why. They still feel off even when things are cold. Basically it feels like there is a lot of travel in the pedal. I am guessing air in the lines, but I did a full bleed before the event. I am going to bleed again to see if they come back.
2. If was fluid it was because of heat, so cooling ducts will be in line, and I will be looking into getting bigger brakes for the 2. Thinking on doing the gold coast kit if it fits over 15" wheels, but still not sure. I might have other plans.

Lastly I got the title today for my new DD. Since it is basically mine now I will try to put up a picture tonight of it.

Zach, that is a pretty good time for the 2. Turn 10 is pretty tough on brakes if you go deep. Perhaps a more aggressive/dedicated brake compound will help. I found Carbotech xp8 as a minimum for RA. I found RA to be harder on brakes versus a tracks like Barber's and AMP. You still need to get to Barber's in B-ham. Best, Dan

I was kinda surprised. The speed difference was about thew same as going into Turn 1 at AMP. Then again with the new tires I am braking harder. I was hitting them at 105 at the 100 marker going into 10A. Either way I will try some better pads or bigger stuff as well. Mainly because the next event is a CMP which is quite hard on brakes.

As promised here is the new DD.
10409045_10102069514178918_1414970257639451844_n.jpg

2004 IS300, with 5-speed and the optional LSD which is hard to find. The car was a friends, but now is mine. Has sway bars, coilovers, and braided lines. Even though it has coilovers it rides really well. Such a fun car in the rain. Slides nicely. Only real downside is that the inline 6 drinks fuel.

One good thing. As I mentioned I am working the brakes hard especially with the new tires and the new suspension has taken it like a champ. No bending or cracks so I am happy about that.

So I have been making progress on fixing some things with the 2. The latest was to redo the seal on the oil pan. I found a great way to clean off the old material. I used a razor blade to get most of the thick material off, don't spend too much time on this. I then used a wire wheel for a Dremel at a somewhat low speed. The small Dremel ones have very fine wire and by not going at full speed you can remove the old material quick without hurting the pan. While I was doing it, it wouldn't even go through the paint/powdercoat on the pan. Took me about 10 minutes to do the entire pan, and that includes changing the wire wheel half way though to a second one, and getting all of the old sealant out of the bead on the pan. This should work well for any steel pan. Not sure if I would do it on a aluminum one or not.

I normally use a brass bristled brush. It eats up rtv without touching the pan.

On the rear shocks(again.. lol)... You feel they're about right near full soft for 400# springs... I think the Mazda2 Konis are probably going to be maxed around 500-550... Think your shocks would handle that better? I'm hoping to buy a bunch of springs to really pay with rates, along with some unconventional stuff like 550-650 front with big sway bar and something like 700 rear no sway bars. I've been reading up on old VW mk1 rabbit setups and they do some weird stuff but it works.

Once I'm on the east coast we'll have to meet up for an auto-x to test and compare setups/shocks/etc.

BTW what is the part number for your rear Konis for reference?

I would think the normal Mazda 2 yellows would be fine. The big thing is to put those higher rates in and see if the rear feels under damped. I will be going with stiffer springs eventually, but I am happy with the car for now. Need to get the RX-7 running, but there is one thing I might be prepping the car for. Special event early 2016. I won't win, but it would be fun to do.

Also with the focus rears if you crank them up they are way too stiff for the tire so it isn't really getting you anything. If anything having the rears be a little sofer isn't a bad thing for stability. The issue is we don't have enough power to really get the car to straighten out if it is loose. I have run into that twice at autocrosses before. Now that I am mainly doing track events I really don't want the car to be loose and not be able to use power to get out of it. Right now the car has been great about that.

Zach, I had a 2001 new with auto. Good chassis decent handling, but was a pig on fuel economy. The manual was not avialable the first year, but was a big improvement. I would have thought the LSD was standard, but apparently not. Good find. You could always stick a turbo on it.

You could always stick a turbo on it.

Or put in an LS. Nick with the mint green na has a pretty nice one. There's a thread on it somewhere (I think) on the atlanta forum.

And now that the IS is the daily...what is to become of the miata?

Last edited:
Well I started to lay out the brake cooling ducts. I am going to go with 2.5" ducting. I will have more pictures once I get the parts in.

11403354_10102114834516598_3285754473887401024_n.jpg

Really fun idea, can't wait to see how it turns out. I was considering doing a similar duct to bring air to my cold air intake but seemed like it'd just be a funnel for water on rainy days.

Yea I wouldn't worry about it. The engine bay doesn't see vacuum, and the intake air temps we have seen are 1-2 degrees F above ambient which is as good as you are ever going to get.

For the brake ducts I should get the rest of the stuff today. Then Friday the wife is going to help me look at where to put the inlet. I am planning the fog lights, but I am going to see how much higher pressure I see if I can get them where the radiator is. Not sure if there is any place to get the hose their though. Then this weekend I will start working on them. Mounting them to the hub is going to be the tricky part I know, but I look forward to it.

Well even though I am busy, the brake cooling ducts are coming along well. I have figured out what geometry should work well and welded up the first one. I am mounting it to the lower control arm with 2 bolts. It clears the wheels for the most part and the caliper which is the hard part. If I have my 15X8 wheels on I can only turn about 2 turn lock to lock, but that is fine with me. Otherwise there is no space near the brakes.

11834765_10102143442620728_1981296847536687263_o.jpg

Awesome build thread man, you mentioned that you took the front anti-sway bar off, have you put it back on or are you compensating with the bump in the front spring rate?

Back