ZPS Build Thread

It was a great day indeed. I had a video of me following Zach for 1.5 laps but can't seem to find it now!

Dan! Sorry I didn't get to meet you out there. Also, I didn't see your post here before the event so I didn't know you were attending. I did take a peek at your car though. You pulled a bunch out of the interior! Mine was the green/black NB on black konig dial-ins. I was driving in the blue group, and my wife was yellow. Greg seemed pretty impressed with you as an instructor. I jumped in with him once when he couldn't find you, he was doing great. Did you go out for the open session at the end? I didn't see you out there.

I'll have to come down in a future event and autox with yall. Will attempt to do next michelin black lake, or darlington. lots of my local NCR friends go to those

Hey guys it has been a while since I posted anything about the car so I figure I would post up some pictures from the track day. I have a new fastest of 1:42.1. I know that there was one spot where I was leaving time out there as well. Also the brakes were not at their best so they will be getting redone and cooling ducts will be going in. Oh well there will always be next time. New tires are nice and beefy looking. I am going to post pictures from the Flickr account of one of the photographers.

Beefy
https://flic.kr/p/qKYxcv

DanR out there.
https://flic.kr/p/rEZdSc

So Happy
https://flic.kr/p/qJ4MTs

Another DDMWorks Customer
https://flic.kr/p/rGEZDT

Best side shot I could find.
https://flic.kr/p/rGKKQV

I know I have not changed anything in the rear so whatever it is at the ride height I am at, which I don't remember the exact heights either. I know in the front I have -2.5 degrees of camber and 0 toe. I also have the offset lower bushing for more caster.

Zach

dang! that looks so good. the 15x8 6uls are perfect fitment... makes me sad about my 7.5s offset

So put longer studs in and add a 5mm spacer! I have 5mm up front and 7mm in the rear on ET42 7.5s, fit nicely... I'll let you know how it turns on course..

ok, so just to update everyone the 2 is in the garage for some work. Firstly I got a new set of tires for my old 15X7 team dynamics wheels which will now be going on the 2. I got 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza DZ102. I had them on the car for about 2 weeks already and I have been really impressed with them actually. For only $71 a tire they are grippy, quiet, and have good sidewall strength. I even had an autocross on them last weekend. Side note on that, while at the autocross I also got to do a fun run in a R32 Skyline.

Moving on I also got a set of hawk ceramic pads. The HP+ pads are great, but they dust a lot when cold so my wheels get covered quicklyand washing them is getting old, so for the daily grind to work I am going to use the ceramics. Also at DDMWorks we have tested the ceramic pads in the Slingshot and we have been impressed with them.

The next big thing is I am finally making housings to put my koni yellow inserts in the car. I will have pictures of the progress later this week. They should be done and ready for a test drive by the end of the week. Then they will be taken off again to be powder coated. I am also going to be removing the front sway bar as well and bumping up to a 525lbs/in spring to start out.

ok so I have some picture for you all now. Here are the wheels with the tires.

10434367_10101944539075028_3851327187226539885_n.jpg

Here is where I have been working on the 2 at the house.

10984234_10101944539319538_1060091606363103298_n.jpg

Here is a special shot of the hole family of cars in one picture. All 5 of them.

10402478_10101944538670838_7352750762472216766_n.jpg

And lastly the top view of the koni's mounted.

11130193_10101938607112728_6466594855852675881_n.jpg

OK so there is a slight push to get the suspension done quick. The current plan is to get it all finished so I can drive the car up to DDMWorks on Saturday where I will powder coat them and do the alignment. Hopefully I will be able to have the time to get them finished that quick. I think I can do it. I only have to make one more of the brackets which mount the strut to the hub, and make the two brackets to mount the brake line which are simple. From there I just need to tack weld everything together and then put a wheel on it without a spring to make sure it looks like everything will fit ok without anything hitting something, then I can fully weld it and put it together.

On and on the 19th there is a local autocross which I am planning on running the car with the R888's and the new suspension. I am very much looking forward to it.

Oh and for the color of the housings I am thinking Kawasaki green. Why other thoughts?

If I did yellow I would want to match the yellow from the koni's and I probably wouldn't be able to. I do have yellows in the rear though so that color is accounted for.

Very nice, I too love the DZ102s. They hold up just fine between the cones and are great in the wet.

I'm digging your stable a lot (I want an FB and NA).

I did think about a light blue kinda color. That was 2nd choice.

Well I have been sick for about 3 days now and it really stinks. I am still going to try to get the shocks done as soon as I can. I was able to weld up most of one of the housings though. First time really doing some MIG welding, but not too bad.

11069637_10101951609041758_2181583858514854984_n.jpg

Impressive for a first time weld! I have that same craftsman socket set with the drawers...love that thing. Have you ever driven on sport comp 2s? I so, how (in your memory) do the dz102's compare? I'm going to need new tires for my 2 this year, and want something a little stickier since my warranty is about up and James is thinking of doing a "hot hatch" day at AMP. Don't really feel the need for 200 treadwear for daily driving. May need to try the re71r for the miata though when the rivals are worn out (probably after road atlanta).

I'm going to miss the falken 912's though. Took the 2 when I went kayaking yesterday at Tallulah Gorge, handled the gravel shuttle road amazingly well.

Going through college I had a bunch of tools in a tool bag and it was getting annoying trying to find everything. Once I graduated getting that craftsman box was one of the first things I did. I have most of the tools already, but having a nice box to put everything where it is organized and labeled is really nice.

The dz102 are actually replacing BFG sport 2's on those wheels. I like the dz102 a lot more. They are a little cheaper, come in a 205, have no low speed noise, and have a stiffer sidewall. The sport 2's have too soft of a sidewall, and there is a lot more tread squirm on them which make them feel a unstable to me. The Falken 912's were my favorite tire and I wasn't happy to see they stopped making them, but these dz102's cost a little more, but the extra grip is well worth it.

Back