Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can, with certainty, say that the 2.5l mazda 3 will not be anywhere near as quick as a Fiesta ST. I've driven two Fiesta STs, and I'd say the performance specs of the ST on paper are understated, if anything. The thing is a very serious car. The new mazda 3 is a different class of car (C not B), it costs more, and you get much nicer car all around for paying that much more. It looks fantastic, and has an impressive suspension (I thought). It is however, certainly not a performance car like the ST.

A mazdaspeed 2 would be purchased immediately, if they made one.

Last edited:
The 2.5 liter Mazda 3 (2014) is just as fast as the Fiesta ST, gets better gas mileage, handles similarly, and is far more reliable. Its only downside is that it is more expensive. But dang, it is so much more car.

Is the manual 2.5 a late addition?

I do not see the word "manual" in the post on top ... maybe I am missing the point here.

Perhaps he was referring to the upcoming Mazda "2.5": http://wot.motortrend.com/1405_mazda_working_on_global_car_to_slot_between_mazda2_and_mazda3.html

Back on track and in response to the OP, a MazdaSpeed2 would be GREAT !!! (And I might even buy one, if it is produced, and sold in the U.S.A.)

Don

The upcoming manual 2.5 may be even faster than the auto. For the time being, the Fiesta's 0-60 times being obtained by magazine drivers are disappointing - no better than a Mazda 3 and far worse than MS3. Reliability of the Fiesta ST, so far, has been horrible.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

I do not see the word "manual" in the post on top ... maybe I am missing the point here.
The point is, an automatic Mazda3 is not a viable alternate to a Fiesta ST or MS2, both of which are/would be manual. Vehicles with automatic transmissions may as well not exist, as far as I'm concerned.

Why are we comparing the Fiesta St to the Mazda 3 and MS3? Isn't the MS3 supposed to be competing with the Focus ST?

WOW,

I am really confused now ... isn't this a Mazda2 sub-forum, with a poll concerning (specifically) a MazdaSpeed2 ?

Don

The point is that Ford can afford to make STs of 4 models; Mazda cannot, so while we can all wish for a MS 2, 3, and 6, Mazda cannot devote the resources to do more than 1 MS. Most likely, that'll be the 3. The 2's sales have been dismal, so don't expect any internal payback analysis to justify any more spending on that model than what they're doing, already for the Skyactive introduction.

True enough, concept. But this thread was started when the car was not even a month old in terms of on-sale-date here in the U.S. It's all about dreaming anyway. Our jonesing is also not helped much by the fact that Ford actually brought the Fiesta ST to the states. Mazda is always full of surprises though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mild "performance" trim for the next 2 (a slightly larger motor over the base version, or a beefier diesel option), but I can't imagine they'll make a speed version even despite the critical success of the Fiesta ST. That's if we even get the 2 again in it's next generation.

I hate to say it, but if Ford had confirmed the ST was coming to the states when I was shopping my 2, I would have waited a year and a half and bought an ST instead. I love my 2, but it's the truth.

inspect,
If you take a look at the Consumer Reports reliability rating of the Fiesta, you may change your mind about wishing you had one. Now, if you are the type who sells after the warranty expires, it wouldn't matter too much.
But yes, Mazdaspeed 2 at less than 2500 lbs would be great. There's a guy here in California who will be selling an electric supercharger for an MX5, next month. It will boost wheel HP by about 50. It'd be great to throw something like that on the 2 for at least 30 FWHP.

Yeah, I've definitely seen the iffy reliability ratings for the Fiesta. It's no so much that I wish I had one, but rather I would have waited for an ST had it been anounced before I bought my 2. Ultimately, I bought my 2 because it was the right mix of everything I want in a mostly city-driving car that I can really throw around. This is my third Mazda, and they are bulletproof. I don't desire to have the Ford reliability issues, that's for sure.

oh I don't have a subcompact but I am considering a cheapo one (probably a used mirage)

Why not a used Mazdaspeed Protege? (much better)

Why not a used Mazdaspeed Protege? (much better)

looking for a small hatchback
1504.jpg

Back