Winter rust growing prevention!

delguini

Contributor
:
Protege 5
Hey guys, i have some rust starting on the wheel well (surface) near the rear doors. I dont exactly have the $$ to have it painted before the winter starts. I'm getting the car rust proofed again this winter (it's been done every year of her life). Now salt is thrown on the streets here in Montreal like it's going out of style. I'd like to keep the rust from growing until the spring when i can get it painted properly. What can i do? I remember someone telling me to put ball bearing grease on the wheel wells where there's rust. Sound right? Anyone else have some suggestions please?

Thank you!

I bought some Rust Zero for ~$30 shipped and just sanded, preped, and painted it with that. It looks like crap since it's primer gray but the rust hasn't come back. I will have it painted eventually.

This is the best stuff every made to kill rust and prevent it from coming back. I used it when I cut out my rusting factory installed sunroof and welded in a new piece of steel. Treated the steel on both sides as well as the rest of the roof. Problem solved!

Ospho - ACE Hardware will have it.
images

Last edited:
Hey guys, i have some rust starting on the wheel well (surface) near the rear doors. I dont exactly have the $$ to have it painted before the winter starts. I'm getting the car rust proofed again this winter (it's been done every year of her life). Now salt is thrown on the streets here in Montreal like it's going out of style. I'd like to keep the rust from growing until the spring when i can get it painted properly. What can i do? I remember someone telling me to put ball bearing grease on the wheel wells where there's rust. Sound right? Anyone else have some suggestions please?

Thank you!

Hey what's it cost to get it rust proofed? Do you head to the dealer for that or somewhere else? Thanks!

Didn't your rust proofing come with some kind of warranty? Otherwise what the hell are you paying for every year?

it doesn't come with any guarantee unfortunately.
i mean i've seen P5's in much much worse condition than mine, so i am thankful.

Cause the stupid city of Montreal is too cheap to lay down anything else!!

Yeah, I was just being stupid because im in FL:) What other options do they have? I've heard of gravel but im sure they have other things similar to salt that wont ruin your car as much.

Ya... sand, gravel to name a few.

And besides, salt is useless when temps are below -30 celcius. It just agravates me that they don't use something else that doesnt destroy your car.

*end rant*

Matt

and EVEN though the cars been rust proofed every year, it's still starting. Oh how i envy you guys on the west coast and in the south!

whats rust?

i hate you people...

michigan sucks!! the rust is totally tearing up my p5, despite everything i have done to prevent it. its totally going in to get some body work come spring time, but for the time being, i'll have to deal with a car that has a nice zit on its side.

you know, i really should just move to cali...endless summer ftw!!

Getting the car rust proofed today!! Woo woo!!

I have two little spots of bubbling paint. 1 on the hatch and 1 on the edge of the hood. I also have a little on the bottom edge of my driver and passenger side doors. Nothing really noticeable but still there.

Come spring time I'm getting everything fixed. The trick is to wash your car at least once a week and I'm guessing the previous owner of my car didn't... and that's why I have this problem.

Matt

Yah my P5 has only been in las vegas( where i bought it) and good ol southern cali...Im driving it up to seattle in 2 weeks, lets see what kind of damage 2 weeks in washington can do to it lol

Back