What have you done to your MS3 today?

Eric, after lowering my car I developed a nasty spot like that too. MSF thinks it's toe. I'll be inclined to agree until proven wrong. Nothing we can do to correct camber unless it's built into your coils.

Thank gosh it is. I thought i would not be able to use the pillowball uppers. But there some wiggle room. and i have the Whiteline strut brace which makes everything kind of a pain but worthwhile. i can move the top of strut inward for neg camber so far till slams the inside of where it pokes through fender well support or out as much. not very accurate or race ready but its there. i just loosen top and unload suspension, the force top of strut to equal distances. I am not at a long term answer i am still playing around. I am going to have to pay better attention to what i am doing though because even though i use cheap tires (i love them) i can eat them up quickly and well i got these two from discounttire direct for 238 shipped its still no small change y'know. Thanks D
Ps you are spot on about toe. my steering feel changed completely after installing and setting at new height.

If you wear the inside part of the tire, it's too much negative camber. Whoever said otherwise is just ignorant of the facts. Too much toe in one or the other direction wouldn't manifest as that. It would look like this:

images

Here is excessive positive camber wear:

camber-wear.JPG

Negative camber wear is on the inside of the tire.

Oh, there's also this:

tirecare-pic1.jpg

That said, if it's too much neg camber in the front, you can adjust for that to an extent, it's the rear we need aftermarket camber arms to adjust.

Oh and camber changes will make a difference in steering feel and input. More negative camber makes for quicker turn in.

Last edited:
I don't know that I've ever seen an example of a tire that looks like that one with toe. I've worked as a service adviser 2 separate times. That's a pretty extreme case. I've seen trucks come in with cupped treads. I've seen wear on the inside, outside, etc. And if it is negative camber, there's really nothing I can do about it. So I'm trying to be optimistic and believe it's something I can solve on the alignment rack.

Last edited:
Its a combo of the camber and toe. A professional alignment will help with your issue, but it wont completely go away. You will still have some inner tire wear, just not nearly as much.

I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no adjustment for camber in the front suspension. Because of the inherent weaknesses of the front suspension (what with having an engine in the way and all), there usually is *some* adjustment for camber/caster/toe in the front suspension.

If there is no adjustment for camber in the front, then I'm glad I bought coilovers with camber adjustment. Now if only I could get my lazy arse to get an alignment.

From what I understand you can loosen the bolts holding in the strut to yank it fwd. Unless you have coilovers, which I don't... I don't see what else I can do.

I have not had an alignment in waaay too long and am getting tired of chewing up tires finally. I usually go through fronts quickly, well you can guess why.
I have on my list adj rear camber arms. I bought the Mazdaspeed ones along time ago but the rear handled very well with just the Cobb springs installed. it picked up some natural negative camber with the lower height which worked well for me. the right rear had a little toe in i have been waiting to take care of but learned to live with on bumpy left handers.
Rotus, i have the excellent combination of being busy working on family cars every weekend in summer, being naturally lazy, and the worst part is never finishing a project!
Thanks for the help folks
today i listen for the UPS truck

There are some folks who have eccentric ball joints for the front control arms. But that is another big pain because of the tack welded factory ball joints. But those are a way to correct camber. There are also somewhere eccentric control arm bushings for the inner attachment. i just cant recall who right now. I have to replace my ball joints in future and did some research awhile ago. i was thinking i will get some junkyard control arms and modify them. But that is for another day.

ordered two more front tires. seems i had too much neg camber. saw cord inside yesterday. i will be forced to drive eclipse or civic. rats.
I never see whites up here dark cambria. that looks nice, wheels and tint work pretty good offset and smoked side tie it

Thanks man. I wish I could say I'm doing anything to mine other than parting it out and selling it right now (sad1)

You're selling? Why??

Its a long story but the short of it is the PA courts have royally worked me over for child support. They jacked it up $700 more a month even though I have my daughter more than half the time. Something has to go since it looks like I have to move out of my house as well. Unfortunately, its going to be the speed3 and I'll hang onto my 3 since I'm still driving 100+ miles a day for work. So sadly the speed is going and I'm hoping to find a nice home for her.

Wow sucks to hear that. Good luck with everything I hope it works out for you.

Its a long story but the short of it is the PA courts have royally worked me over for child support. They jacked it up $700 more a month even though I have my daughter more than half the time. Something has to go since it looks like I have to move out of my house as well. Unfortunately, its going to be the speed3 and I'll hang onto my 3 since I'm still driving 100+ miles a day for work. So sadly the speed is going and I'm hoping to find a nice home for her.

Wow, that is awful. I am so sorry to hear that. You should be able to have some sort of recourse on that considering you are the caretaker of your child more than 50% of the time.

I always heard about dads getting screwed over by the court system but I went in feeling pretty optimistic about how it was going to work out. Thankfully my lawyer is working to get it all sorted out and a reasonable amount set but I can't count on it. Sorry to be the downer of the thread. At least I had many a fun time with the speed and I'll have some fond memories.

Luckily I only pay for $50 a week. But it makes it tough enough. That extra $50 would go a long way. I only bring home after about $350 a week after. I feel your pain. My son is 8. Only 10 more years!

Back