What did you pay for your CX-5?

In Texas if you trade a 10000 dollar car and buy a 25000 dollar car - you pay tax on the difference i.e. 15000.
So if the trade in goes up or the selling price goes down - the difference reduces, so your taxes are reduced in both cases.

I'll be participating in the VW "diesel buyback".
One problem with the generous offer (all my money returned) is that it is a cash deal and you will pay full tax on the replacement car as it is not a trade in (consequently, no trade in tax advantage). This is expressed within the buyback agreement so I'm pretty sure it's a statewide situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys, Like you I am looking for a New 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring. Im interested in knowing what a good asking price would be out the door. Im in California. I think sales tax would be 10 percent. I was at a dealer today but after I left, listening to others that have bought a car in the last few years, I realized I saved myself from a bad deal. My last car was 02.

Hi guys, Like you I am looking for a New 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring. Im interested in knowing what a good asking price would be out the door. Im in California. I think sales tax would be 10 percent. I was at a dealer today but after I left, listening to others that have bought a car in the last few years, I realized I saved myself from a bad deal. My last car was 02.
IMO, 'invoice' would be a good starting point. I learned, after not too long, that Mazda's pricing structure isn't what I was used to. I.e. if you're not getting 10%+ off of MSRP, you're not trying. It appears Mazda prices much more aggressively and 3-5% off of MSRP is a good deal.

I was getting invoice quotes when I inquired with several dealers over email and ending up just below (a couple hundred, not much) when I was in the dealer. I felt fine with it, and signed.

Edit: also, don't get hung up on "out the door" prices. Negotiate the price of the car, not a payment or OTD price. You know the taxes and fees...those aren't variables.

Edit 2: in response to Edit 1, I privately sold my previous car so didn't have to do the +/- on trade. But, certainly negotiate that across dealers as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IMO, 'invoice' would be a good starting point. I learned, after not too long, that Mazda's pricing structure isn't what I was used to. I.e. if you're not getting 10%+ off of MSRP, you're not trying. It appears Mazda prices much more aggressively and 3-5% off of MSRP is a good deal.

I was getting invoice quotes when I inquired with several dealers over email and ending up just below (a couple hundred, not much) when I was in the dealer. I felt fine with it, and signed.

Edit: also, don't get hung up on "out the door" prices. Negotiate the price of the car, not a payment or OTD price. You know the taxes and fees...those aren't variables.

Edit 2: in response to Edit 1, I privately sold my previous car so didn't have to do the +/- on trade. But, certainly negotiate that across dealers as well.

Good Info. Thanks.
they quoted me 29265 for a 2017 GT after much haggling and a 2.4 interest rate at 60 mos . even though as they saw my credit was excellent, not including taxes and fees

Good Info. Thanks.
they quoted me 29265 for a 2017 GT after much haggling and a 2.4 interest rate at 60 mos . even though as they saw my credit was excellent
Isn't the current rate 1.9 through Mazda? If you have excellent credit, that will be your rate.

Good Info. Thanks.
they quoted me 29265 for a 2017 GT after much haggling and a 2.4 interest rate at 60 mos . even though as they saw my credit was excellent, not including taxes and fees
1.9% is being offered, and you should get it if your credit is excellent. Don't settle
For the 2.4, it too is negotiable...

What's the MSRP for the 29265 deal?

Not entirely true. If they lower the price of the car, then taxes you pay will be lower as well. That is not the case if the sales price stays the same and they up the trade-in.

Good point. However in my case I didn't talk any number with them other than the OTD price. They did the usual 'we'll give you an extra $1000 on the car..' routine but from my perspective it was I'll give you my current car plus $x. It wasn't my concern how they came to a number I agree with, the only concern was would my OTD offer be high enough for them to give me a CX5.

1.9% is being offered, and you should get it if your credit is excellent. Don't settle
For the 2.4, it too is negotiable...

What's the MSRP for the 29265 deal?

MSRP is 30,635 for Machine Gray in that model 2017 GT FWD. And I was putting 13.5 grand down. And I asked about the 1.9 and why I wasnt offered that. They said thats for non discounted cars. Either or, discount or 1.9%. And I was like, and my credit score was in the mid 800s which was higher than I last remembered. But I knew it was good. So basically I have some more stubborness to work on. I at least walked away today. Im not in a rush. Hey I appreciate the thoughts. My brother and friend who just bout a 16.5 GT were both critical of the deal too.

MSRP is 30,635 for Machine Gray in that model 2017 GT FWD. And I was putting 13.5 grand down. And I asked about the 1.9 and why I wasnt offered that. They said thats for non discounted cars. Either or, discount or 1.9%. And I was like, and my credit score was in the mid 800s which was higher than I last remembered. But I knew it was good. So basically I have some more stubborness to work on. I at least walked away today. Im not in a rush. Hey I appreciate the thoughts. My brother and friend who just bout a 16.5 GT were both critical of the deal too.
Find another dealer. There is no discount on the 2017s and an OR offer with financing. You're getting peddled.

If I were in your position, I'd email surrounding dealers with the quote you received (which seems great) and ask if they can exceed it. Tell them you're a ready and willing buyer. The 1.9 is what it is. You qualify.

We were quoted $32,833 for a 2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium in Long Island, NY. About 2.6% or $882 off MSRP. We're planning on putting half down and doing the 1.9% over 60 mo. for the rest.

They said maybe wait for Memorial Day to see if there are any deals -- so we'll wait a few weeks.

Yes, wait for Memorial Day. Someone has already mentioned a $500 rebate may be coming (not confirmed). Even without, that's a holiday and end of the month week, so you should be able to snag the extra discount anyways. Good
Luck to all trying...

We were quoted $32,833 for a 2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium in Long Island, NY. About 2.6% or $882 off MSRP. We're planning on putting half down and doing the 1.9% over 60 mo. for the rest.

They said maybe wait for Memorial Day to see if there are any deals -- so we'll wait a few weeks.

just curious what dealership you went through - i've had nothing but headaches trying bright bay, wind up at wantagh mazda every time and the experience is fantastic

just curious what dealership you went through - i've had nothing but headaches trying bright bay, wind up at wantagh mazda every time and the experience is fantastic

We went to Wantagh Mazda. Although they did't roll out a red carpet, they were straightforward and friendly with us. We haven't made a decision yet but they're the best of the 4 places we've been dealing with (the others are Bay Ridge, Rt. 112, and Smith Haven).

We went to Wantagh Mazda. Although they did't roll out a red carpet, they were straightforward and friendly with us. We haven't made a decision yet but they're the best of the 4 places we've been dealing with (the others are Bay Ridge, Rt. 112, and Smith Haven).

couldn't agree more - in fact it's why i've bought 3 cars from them now, they don't go over the top kissing your ass but they're not pushy either, everything has always been fair & up front, no surprises & no bs

2017 GT, AWD, Premium Package, Soul Red (parchment interior). I paid 32,900 (3% off 34060 MSRP). Loyalty rebate made OTD 32,400 (on May 9th).

I wanted that exact CX-5. It was hard to find in my area; no local dealers had one on the lot. Ended up buying from a dealer 120 miles away. The car had just arrived at the port when I was negotiating price. Had to wait three days for it to get to the dealership before I could take delivery of it.

Last edited:
Just traded in my '08 Altima Coupe and picked up a Machine Gray Metallic CX-5 GT, FWD w/ Premium package. MSRP: $32,465 ($29,395 + $1,830 pkg + $940 delivery), Invoice: $31,394. Final price came to $31,143 before trade-in and TTL. There wasn't much flexibility in lowering cost, but I tried my best and I'm pretty satisfied with coming out just under invoice, and also getting more for my trade than Carmax. HUD is sweet, and so much more cargo room for activities!

garage_attachment.php

Last edited:
Just traded in my '08 Altima Coupe and picked up a Machine Gray Metallic CX-5 GT, FWD w/ Premium package. MSRP: $32,465 ($29,395 + $1,830 pkg + $940 delivery), Invoice: $31,394. Final price came to $31,143 before trade-in and TTL. There wasn't much flexibility in lowering cost, but I tried my best and I'm pretty satisfied with coming out just under invoice, and also getting more for my trade than Carmax. HUD is sweet, and so much more cargo room for activities!

garage_attachment.php
Gorgeous color! Congrats!

I Just bought my 2017 soul crystal red cx5 gt AWD with the Tech package, and also this winter package that includes Mud flaps, block heater, all weather floor mates for $39,500 cdn. I got this 3 year coverage for the windshield and wear and tear on the inside and the outside of the vehicle and i got 3M film protection on the hood, front bumper, side fenders, and side mirrors. Total price was $44k cdn

18358909_10158677988970581_1209025201399442017_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back