What did you do to your Mazda2 today?

Installed my scan gauge II
c246be7a6bd530a15c01adfc7244a83f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the last decent-weather day I'll see for 2015, so ... got out my little blue Two for the trip across town to my brother's for the Family Thanksgiving Gathering.

Removed the AWR engine strut mount!

That thing created way way to much NVH. Couldn't deal with it. :(

Mike

Put 700# springs up front, with 450# in rear. Rides excellent for my commute now. The heavier fronts seemed to balance out the chassis at 60+.

Put 700# springs up front, with 450# in rear. Rides excellent for my commute now. The heavier fronts seemed to balance out the chassis at 60+.

Funny, that's nearly identical to what I run in the miata. I never would've guessed that would work well on a chassis so different.

Motion ratios are way different and Tony isn't going to autocross it like that. Should understeer pretty good. Also the sway bars are pretty much opposite. This winter I am thinking on going to 700 front with 600 rear. Keeps the same balance the same as what I have now on paper just stiffer. I will have more info coming on that soon in my build thread. Doing a good look at our suspension. Stay tuned for good info.

Oh and this morning it was all wet out and the 2 is dirty so it kinda looked like it was matt black. I liked the look, but my car is still actually quite clean when I wash it. Other than that it is just sitting there. The spring it will get some attention though. I have to remember to get a new battery for it as well. I recently took mine out to start one of our old racecars and the fluid level is about an inch below the low mark. Still starts ok for now though which is impressive.

Last edited:
Motion ratios are way different and Tony isn't going to autocross it like that. Should understeer pretty good. Also the sway bars are pretty much opposite. This winter I am thinking on going to 700 front with 600 rear. Keeps the same balance the same as what I have now on paper just stiffer. I will have more info coming on that soon in my build thread. Doing a good look at our suspension. Stay tuned for good info.

This.

A quick google search shows Miata motion ratios as .66 and .72...

So the equivalent Miata setup would be something around 1550lb front springs and 850lb rear spring if my quick math is close.

I will be swapping to 550lb rears for auto-x events most likely. Jeff and I will be doing some testing together this coming spring.

I have a theory in my head... Adding the rear sway bar I don't think necessarily increases oversteer due to being stiffer, because of our beam rear I think it distorts the contact patch by keeping the inside wheel lifted.

The 700# fronts keep camber loss under control, I think it added more traction up front more than anything.

We'll be testing 450-550-600 rear springs with and without rear bar hopefully.

Installed my DDM Works short shift kit and solid shift bushings. I'm sure everyone is familiar with short shift kits around here by now, so I'll just say it's great to finally feel like the shifter is connected to something. The notchy, Miata-esque snick when changing gear is nice, too. 10/10, would buy again if my other 2 was manual. (yes)

I am glad that you like it. It is really funny now when I get into a 2 that doesn't have one after having mine for so long now.

Installed bilstein coilovers and spent way too much time with initial ride height settings. If anyone is interested in CS adjustable dampers and RB springs, I have a used set available.

Yesterday since it was 73 degree out which is odd for even SC. I cleaned out the one garage and was able to get the 2 in there so it will be protected over the winter. Mainly this opens up the driveway so I can turn around one of the other cars. Either way it is happy.

Took it to my alignment guy since I finally got the ride height dialed on the bilsteins. Without notching them, -1.5 degrees was the best he could get which was the minimum I was hoping for (using h&r bolts up top). I was at 2 degrees with the old setup. Hopefully the springs will stop creaking soon.

Is the creaking in the front or rear? I never had any noise in the front. The rears can make some noise if the bottom of the spring is not seated correctly. You may have to turn them to get them in the right position. Did you install the break lines? Did you notice any difference?

I put the CS rear shocks back in today, and re-oriented the springs. The only creaking I noticed on the test drive was from the fronts now. I should have time to mess with those and to install the brake lines this weekend. It's amazing how much more comfy the ride is now with the extra rebound dampening.

I installed my DDM Works SRI today. Loving the intake note! Deep and growly! I was also going to install their rear torsion bar, but this requires drilling and I discovered that I couldn't get my car up high enough with my jack and stands to do the job. It will have to wait until I can get it on a lift.

Well since it has been really warm out. I gave the 2 a good washing. Outside, wheels, and the door areas including the hatch. the car should stay clean as well since I cleared out a spot in the one garage for it.

1915030_10102341329334168_4666757260383305919_n.jpg

Back