V6 for p5?!?!?!?

It was a for sale thread with no sign. So it was deleted. Weird how it was working today though; I think I deleted it two days ago!

In any case, Domspun can make a new thread when he has proper pics.

Maybe I won't repost the sale thread because it's almost sold, sorry for you guys!

I don't know if it's just because we are special in Quebec or what, but there is 6 street driven KL-ZE BJ Protege and 3 race cars in our province alone!(rockon)

-----back from the dead

I think I know the reason for the number in Canada. It is easier if you got a shop down the street to hop up your ride as opposed to 9+ hours. If you can get the parts on your own at a junkyard, it would be cheaper than what I would have to spend because of the distance. I think most people around here either A.) don't have 6K to spend in one shot or B.) can not be without their daily driver for long.

I personally would be interested in seeing some video or sound clips of these V6 proteges and how they are doing performance wise. I hopefully soon will be getting a better paying job, but other things I got to get in order first. Once that's done I have two choices 1.) get a better car or 2.) drop in a V6 and then turbo the protege . I figure it would be easier since I will have a backup car to drive. It would be cheaper to make the protege awesome versus getting a cooler car! I am pretty happy with the protege5 and was told by other AutoX people that the chassis is almost perfect. The only thing missing is power they tell me, what a shock I am sure:eek:.

I am personally thinking of trying to try this myself. I can solder wires without problems. It does appear to be a b**** of time with the wires. I have an Auto, but I am not sure if the wiring harness would be a problem because of this. I figure because of the gauges and temperature controls, I would need to keep the stock dash harness. Would this setup work with the 96 MX-6 ecu? Then use a OBD-I engine harness from a MX-6 for the engine. I just want everything to work right and passing emissions in Maryland. They just hook up to the computer to check and visually look under the car for the cat for emissions. So is all that is required to do is take the engine out, take apart the dash, separate the wiring harnesses (dash and engine), swap out the ecu, and hook up the engine harness?

The other question is what you are doing for your canada people regarding AC and powersteering? Are you able to use the MX-6's parts in place of the protege's?

I probably will find it hard to take off two weeks just for a engine swap (the wife wouldn't have it). That's why I am trying to figure what I could do to make this more an option vs getting another car. This topic is far from over.

Magus

I am personally thinking of trying to try this myself. I can solder wires without problems. It does appear to be a b**** of time with the wires. I have an Auto, but I am not sure if the wiring harness would be a problem because of this. I figure because of the gauges and temperature controls, I would need to keep the stock dash harness. Would this setup work with the 96 MX-6 ecu? Then use a OBD-I engine harness from a MX-6 for the engine. I just want everything to work right and passing emissions in Maryland. They just hook up to the computer to check and visually look under the car for the cat for emissions. So is all that is required to do is take the engine out, take apart the dash, separate the wiring harnesses (dash and engine), swap out the ecu, and hook up the engine harness?

The other question is what you are doing for your canada people regarding AC and powersteering? Are you able to use the MX-6's parts in place of the protege's?

I probably will find it hard to take off two weeks just for a engine swap (the wife wouldn't have it). That's why I am trying to figure what I could do to make this more an option vs getting another car. This topic is far from over.

Magus

Since you Protege is an Auto, I'll forget about it.
The cheapest way would be to buy 2 cars, one a manual BJ(any engine, 1.6 would do) and a MX6 manual V6 manual. You can easily buy both of them for under 5000$, because you can can buy the cheapest you find.

The BJ can be high mileage and have worn out mechanical parts, it doesn't matter.
The MX6 only need to have a good drivetrain. You can take the brake/spindle/axles from the MX6 for the 5-lug/rear disc swap.

You can even take the whole subframes and swap everything!

You can get back a little $$$ of you initial investment buy selling everything you don't need.

You don't need to remove the dash, everything is acessible fom under it. You'll just have to adapt PS and AC, since the firewall is different on the Protege, tubes and lines are not at the same place.

wow 2 years ago, thats crazy, ok so my MSP motor is blown, and i have the opportunity to pick up a 95 ford probe for CHEAP. do you think i should go for it, the only thing im worried about is wiring, i have the shop to do all the work in so that makes it easier but how am i gonna run the gauges and motor with both ecu's? please let me know if anyone has any knowledge of this i can get a hold of diagrams and everything just really want to know if the 95 probe GT will work for 03 MSP. thanks guys.

you can put any motor in any car if you got the money and time(2thumbs)
after all there is a crx w/v8, del sol w/v8, mini cruiser w/k20, etc. so go for it, who cares what everyone thinks. thats why its called a project car!

what about a VW VR6? in various trims it makes anywhere from 175hp (12v 2.8L) to 295hp (24v 3.6L) and it was designed with offset cylinder arrangement which makes it small enough to fit where before only a 4 cylinder could fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

here's one in a MK2 Golf which is smaller than our cars:
2775322746_673c3679e0.jpg

Back