Upcoming Recall - Mazda5 Sliding Door Latches

Semi-Automatic Doors

afticarab said:
The GT models are most certainly affected in Canada a number of members have posted on various forums. I had mine replaced yesterday and the dealer told me that the TSB/Recall was pending but supposedly only for the GS "non easy close doors". I'm not really sure what they did but apparently mine was one of the first GT models they did in Canada. When they disassembled the door they found a large amount of water inside the wrapped bundle which is supposed to protect the mechanism. Obviously when this freezes it creates the problem. If you have a GT and are experiencing this problem you should tell your dealer that they have been fixing GTs.
So far it works, fingers crossed. They also did the recall on the suspension and replaced the suspension pieces per the TSB.
Thanks for this update. I'll let my delaer know what you've said since I had this problem once in November when it was -35C.

I got my notice today. Im wondering whether they will take my 5 now or whether they will order the part and then tell me to come back.

Got my letter today also, call dealer and they don't know anything(confused), will try another dealer, because i think i'm dealing with some loser service personnel? who knows. zoomzoom

Got the recall letter in the Northeast US...

...yet I'll take the risk and will wait until the 10K mile service comes through (it is getting very close anyway). I hope by setting the appointment(s) the dealer gets the parts beforehand (just in case they are not there)

Very good info, thanks all for your postings. I have the Sport model!

Same problem, in Ottawa, Canada...

Hi,
I had the same problem this morning on my Mazda 5 GS. Had to use lock ease and a heat gun to finally get it to close. Called the dealer and surprise they don't know anything about it. Still made a service appointment for next week. Anyone in Canada got this fixed already? This is extremely annoying issue on a brand new car, hopefully it's fixed right.

Thanks,

Matt

FYI the 'fix' is two drain holes on the bottom side of the plastic shroud that surrounds the latch. I have pics on my PC at home if anyone is interested. I can post them later.

We had the latch fix done on our Mz5. Ours has had one of the door handles freezing up, not the latch. It still does it after the latch fix so back to Mazda it goes.

Jon

Ill get mine switched next time I need a service. not too big of a deal. its only jammed up twice and I was able to get it to shut by manually moving the latch back and forth with my finger. however, if it happened to my wife when I was at work, it would be bad....very bad.... fyi, learn from me, dont marry anything that bleads for 5 days and doesnt die.

Same Problem in Ottawa

Matt5 said:
Hi,
I had the same problem this morning on my Mazda 5 GS. Had to use lock ease and a heat gun to finally get it to close. Called the dealer and surprise they don't know anything about it. Still made a service appointment for next week. Anyone in Canada got this fixed already? This is extremely annoying issue on a brand new car, hopefully it's fixed right.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt5

I have the same problem. It happened to me 3 times already. Which dealer did you call?

Hey GreenRidge,
I called PF in Orleans. However, I got a call back yesterday saying they will replace both latches on Friday as they are aware of the issue now. Should be all good by Friday.

Thanks,

Matt

Had my door latches done today. I dropped off my vehicle 8:45am and ask them to change my oil also. I finally get a call at around 2:30pm saying that they are done, but there was a problem. The door-lock knob from the driver side sliding door was broke in the process. Part is on back order and now I have to bring it back when the part arrives. There is a possibility that door may not lock using key fob. I have to now manually check that lock is engaged. I was offered a rental car, but I said forget it. Sounds like my car may have been the test bed for this recall in my area. I hope that the next 5 owner that brings in their vehicle, benefits from what the techs experienced working on my 5. The service advisor reponse was, "we had instructions, but they weren't too clear". (huh)

I've read the instructions myself, they're perfectly clear
whoever broke your s*** was just a tool

TheMAN said:
I've read the instructions myself, they're perfectly clear
whoever broke your s*** was just a tool
That's kinda what I was thinking.

I've always been under the impression that the dealer service people have access to information that would allow a dyslexic infant to do a complete teardown and rebuild of the entire vehicle.

got ours done on Friday. We were in to get the ignition switch replaced and asked them to do the door latches too.

Back