Rear Fender Rust / Sliding Door Replacement

Tadio

:
2006 Mazda5 Base
Good afternoon!

My brother own's a 2006 Mazda5 (I'm assuming it's the base model). Aside from the suspension issues and rust, it's a pretty decent vehicle.

I need your expertise with two issues!

First, his rear fenders have a lot of rust, both sides. Is there any way to remove the rear fenders themselves and replace them? I believe I once heard or read somewhere that it's part of the unibody, but I'm not sure how accurate this information is.

Second issue is with the passenger side sliding door. It was involved in an accident before he purchased it and that door has a dent with rust starting to form. I can't seem to find any information on a replacement door, cost, and how to remove/install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Should you require any further information let me know and I'll look for it.

Good afternoon!

My brother own's a 2006 Mazda5 (I'm assuming it's the base model). Aside from the suspension issues and rust, it's a pretty decent vehicle.

I need your expertise with two issues!

First, his rear fenders have a lot of rust, both sides. Is there any way to remove the rear fenders themselves and replace them? I believe I once heard or read somewhere that it's part of the unibody, but I'm not sure how accurate this information is.

Second issue is with the passenger side sliding door. It was involved in an accident before he purchased it and that door has a dent with rust starting to form. I can't seem to find any information on a replacement door, cost, and how to remove/install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Should you require any further information let me know and I'll look for it.

Rear fender is basically a quarter panel, consider it as a non-removable item. You can cut a piece out that is rusted and cut another one from an un-rusted car, weld it in and re-paint, or just remove the rust an fill in the spots with either a filler or metal and shape till it fits with the rest of the car. It would not be cost effective to take to a shop as the repair will be over the car's value.
The door you can either fix and repaint or swap with another door. I don't have removal instruction yet, it was on a to-do list but the list got too long and never got to it yet.

There is no r

+1 What Vasy said. Rear quater pAmel is the worst place to get rust...

If the rust hasn't eaten through, a cheap (not long term) solution is to apply rust converter and bondo bondo. The only solution is to cut it out and weld in another panel.

The sldining door should be easier solution. I've never done a sliding door but I bet it is similar to just about another other van's sliding door.

Try car-part.com (online network of salvage yards) for a door. Pay the price if someone has a color matching door. Otherwise, just get any color, do a quick fix on the quater panel and get the car wrapped :) it'll look like a new hot date but with cancer and baggage underneath.

Thank you both so much!

The rust is a shame because aside from both rear quarter panels and the dented passenger side sliding door, the car looks news! Even waxed the tires and polished the rims for him today, looks great! I had gotten a quote for the body work (supposedly includes the passenger sliding door and both rear quarter panels) for $1,900 CAD, however my brother states he received a quote from another guy for only $600 CAD (sounds too cheap, especially in comparison to the other quote - we don't wish to throw away money if it's not going to be done proper.)

I'll look into it further and see what'll work best.

Thanks again a bunch!

Back