Tricks for getting off stuck oil filter?

registering

Contributor
Okay, apparently I put my oil filter on too tightly last time and can't seem to get it off. I've got a "filter cap" tool and a "filter wrench" tool and the former just warps and doesn't grip, and the latter slides and doesn't grip, both because the thing's simply on too tightly. The only solutions I can think of are:
1) leave the filter on and just change the oil. It's only been on 5,000 miles. Next oil change let my mechanic deal with it
2) screwdriver the thing to death. Downside is what if it still doesn't come off (not a lot of room to maneuver down there!), then I can't even drive my car anywhere but will need to get it towed

I'm leaning towards #1, as well as:
1) switching to synthetic oil so I can change my oil every 10,000 miles and not every 5,000
2) get a fumoto drain valve
These two things should make my life much easier, and my oil changes less frequent.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried wrapping the filter in aluminum foil and "crush" the tools around THAT, but it didn't grip, tried sprinkling comet on the filter (that adds some friction) with no luck -- anyone have any tricks up there sleeve??

Sorry I can't help you here, but just had to comment -- On the main forum display, where the most recent topics are shown in the column on the right....this thread is called 'Tips for getting off' (butthump)

yeah i had this problem my first oil change....took us about 6 hours...3 trips to pepboys and alot of swearing and jabing the screwdriver in it...it eventually came out...

Go to napa and they sell oil filter pliers. Cost like $30 and you wont ever have to worry about your filter being stuck again. Make sure you get the small one so it can grip the filter.

HA! Tricks for getting off, that'll garner a lot of attention. :)
I'll definitely check out napa's tools. Oil filters are such a pain! I used a purolator filter which doesn't have the big friction material like the fram filters. Oh well.

i used a set of chanel lock wrenches. The ones I used were about 14in long. Long enough to get in and still move around...

THE ULTIMATE TIP. buy a K&N filter and a 1in socket(for future changes). no problems once you do that. also suggest using an extension or flex extension...which ever works best for you. try using a pants belt on it...worked for my first change....i did they whole ten million trips to the parts store searching for a remedy. good luck.

there are numerous oilfilter wrenches out there that will get the job done....but NONE of them are the type that work like a socket on the end of the filter. You need a took that will grip the OUTSIDE of the filter.

one thing that will prevent this in the future.....just remember always put a coat of oil on the o-ring before installing...and NEVER EVER use any kind of tool to put the new filter on other than your hand. run the new filter up till it just touches the sealing surface and then take it ONE MORE TURN.

I do NOT recommend your option ONE>...not changing the filter except ever 10,000 miles.....why start filtering your new oil with a dirty filter.....they are just too cheap to NOT change them every 3000-5000 miles.

white lithium grease, not oil, on the rubber... it lasts longer, makes it easy to remove. besides you dont need anything more than a light hand-tight.

of course none of this heps you now, but it can save your ass from ever having to do this again.

I bought a Craftsman oil filter wrench. It hooks onto a socket wrench. It self tightens as you turn the wrench. Looks like a claw. The only problem is that it's fairly hard to maneuver considering the small amount of space there is by the oil filter. But, once you get that wrench to hook on, it'll come off quite easily.

Well, I was ready to screwdriver the b**** to death but there wasn't a whole lot of room. I was also hoping that by this morning once everything cooled off, the static coefficient of friction between the oil filter and filter wrench would grow and whether that was the cause or not, it came off after about 5 minutes of wrangling this morning (and some bloody knuckles). I also rotated my wheels yippee! :) I WAS going to install my short shifter but had trouble with the snap ring and figured with the hurricane coming it's better to not press my luck.

Also, after reading up more on synthetic oil I doubt I'll wait 10K miles between changes but probably stick to 5K. I also always oil the O-ring, I don't know why this time was so difficult (and I only hand-tightened it this time).

Thanks again to everyone!

registering said:
I WAS going to install my short shifter but had trouble with the snap ring and figured with the hurricane coming it's better to not press my luck.!

get snap ring pliers....soooooooo much easier. i first tried to do it w/o the pliers but i couldnt put the ring back in so off to ABC parts i went and the rest is history.

right tool for the right job....
dont make it any harder on yourself... sr pliers are cheap

Have you got the filter off yet? If all else fails, just ram a screwdriver through it and twist it off. Once it's off, check for schrapnel in your intake pipe from the screwdriver. Next time, tighten it down hand tight. Twist until you feel resistance, then give it another 1/3 turn.

Yup, filter's off. Letting it cool seemed to help. And I went to buy the snap ring pliers. I'll prolly tackle it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back