Thoughts on recirculation or VTA

A little background. I've been running with an Injen intake with an ATP WGA connected to the manifold for the past six years. The car had a ferocious turkey that I actually loved. The looks on people's faces were priceless.

The turkey was fun, but mashing the throttle and abruptly lifting was a recipe for the car to jerk. It was especially bad in second gear coming in for a tight turn on the track. My theory was that since the WGA was being controlled by the pressure at the manifold, as soon as I lifted my foot from the throttle, the waste gate closed. Since our BPV is incredibly inadequate, this created pressure back on the turbo and our wonderful turkey noise. However, with the wastegate closed, the exhaust pulses still left in the engine now had to force their way past a turbo that is pushing air into a wall, and the car would jerk.

I figured if I moved the boost source to the WGA to somewhere in front of the throttle plate, the waste gate would stay open until the pressure between the turbo and throttle had been released and the jerkiness during abrupt throttle lifts would be reduced. It required going to a hard hot pipe, but my theory was spot on. The car no longer jerks and even the turkey is greatly reduced.

However, while I loved the angry turkey, the passified turkey is pretty lame, and I think I should put him out of his misery. There are a million threads on killing him and I have read most of them, but now that people have been living with various setups for a few years, I figured I would get some of your thoughts.

My SLS hot pipe is currently connected to my Injen via the stock BPV. I have a HKS BOV and a custom hard cold pipe on their way, and my megasquirt is built and ready to start tuning.

Option #1
Leave the BPV connected, and install the HKS on the cold pipe as VTA. Since I will be tuning via MAP with the megasquirt, the VTA is not a problem for tuning.

Option #2
Buy a recirculation fitting for the HKS and run a hose to the Injen and just plug my hot pipe and remove the BPV.

Option #3
Buy some kind of Y pipe and run both the HKS and stock BPV into the Injen. Although it might be kind of difficult to find a y adapter hose with all the right dimensions.

Option #4
Have the HKS flange welded onto my hot pipe and recirculate it back to the Injen in place of the BPV. But that requires buying a steel flange, and I will have to have my SLS powder coated again to look right.

I'd like to avoid any obvious BOV "pssshh" so the HKS VTA by itself is probably not for me. With the BPV running in parallel, I am not sure how loud the HKS will be if I go with VTA. I also don't know if the return pipe on the Injen is big enough to completely eliminate back pressure on the turbo with the valves recirculated.

Ignoring the tuning portion, what are your opinions on the audio and visual quality of the various bypass and blow-off combinations?

Back