Thinking of getting a CX-5, how's the reliability?

... If OP is shopping SUVs does the CRV and RAV4 even have manuals?
No, they don't! That's why I said earlier that Mazda CX-5 is a good choice, and it's his only choice for OP with decent quality and reliability.

If wanting to know about CX-5 reliability the first thing to do is eliminate non-skyactiv models from your research. Skyactiv models such as the CX-5 have only been recently built from the ground up in their Hiroshima plant in Japan using I'd say about 99% Mazda parts. You may find Fomoco (Ford/Mazda) parts for non-essential items such as the plastic intake boxes to keep costs down.

The skyactiv engine comprises of robust internal parts easily capable of Mazda's HP/TQ ratings. I do like Honda's engines better though considering they are an Engine company with a giant R&D budget. In terms of reliability the Skyactiv engines operate efficiently, cool, and with little mechanical problems. Its designed really well in terms of practical daily driving applications.

Its just my personal opinion- that one can forecast the long term reliability of an auto tranny by how smooth it operates and how little noise it generates. Clunky trannies that make lots of noise just don't feel reassuring to me that it will hold up 100k, 200k miles or so without spending money for repairs. Even if does last that long without having to repair it I'd be constantly annoyed. In terms od responsiveness and smoothness man the skyactiv auto tranny ftw (eco prrogramming aside). That said OP wants a manual and Honda builds the best manuals out there. I can't speak for CX-5 manuals but Miata manuals are the shiznit. All the Honda shifters (except for the CRX) I've driven had shorter throws than Mazda shifters except the Miata. If OP is shopping SUVs does the CRV and RAV4 even have manuals?

Good to know all that, thanks! So, yeah I drove a 5-speed manual honda accord for the last 10 years, just awesome.

No, they don't! That's why I said earlier that Mazda CX-5 is a good choice, and it's his only choice for OP with decent quality and reliability.
I know it sucks - Rav 4 would probably top my list if it came in a manual!

Back