Thinking of getting a CX-5, how's the reliability?

Explain why it's dumb

My last hemi-powered Jeep exceeded EPA ratings, FYI.

Can you explain why it isn't dumb? It doesn't have anywhere near the towing capacity, ground clearance, GVW, or utility of a pick up with the same "luxury" for the cost. All of your suggestions so far satisfy no need, or interest at this address. From my perspective they simply and temporarily bolster a flagging low T ego.

IIRC you shoot black guns with high end big variable power scopes. I like Masuer actions (and Winchester or Ruger interpretations) and high end fixed power scopes. Both work, both get to the same place. Just different journeys to the same destination. Your fantasy's make no sense to me and I'm sure mine don't to you. I plain and simply don't get it and don't feel the need you have to be seen. You are welcome to quit badgering me to fit your lifestyle, a pretentious existence I have no interest in.

Last edited:
Can you explain why it isn't dumb? It doesn't have anywhere near the towing capacity, ground clearance, GVW, or utility of a pick up with the same "luxury" for the cost. All of your suggestions so far satisfy no need, or interest at this address. From my perspective they simply and temporarily bolster a flagging low T ego.

Well, the mrc is awesome, the awd is nice, and 475hp in an suv makes it about as fast as my 370z was. Nothing crazy, but still peppy. Road trips would be nice, the luxury far exceeds anything Mazda offers, and it would have plenty of ground clearance and towing capacity for any boat I'd ever buy or dirt road I'd live on. I could haul ammo guns and gear and friends to training, I could take plenty of camping gear with me. I could do all sorts stuff with it. And it does 0-60 in the mid 4s, and handles well. So...why doesn't it make sense if one can afford it and enjoys that capability?

Well, the mrc is awesome, the awd is nice, and 475hp in an suv makes it about as fast as my 370z was. Nothing crazy, but still peppy. Road trips would be nice, the luxury far exceeds anything Mazda offers, and it would have plenty of ground clearance and towing capacity for any boat I'd ever buy or dirt road I'd live on. I could haul ammo guns and gear and friends to training, I could take plenty of camping gear with me. I could do all sorts stuff with it. And it does 0-60 in the mid 4s, and handles well. So...why doesn't it make sense if one can afford it and enjoys that capability?

Sounds like it's perfect for you.

IIRC you shoot black guns with high end big variable power scopes. I like Masuer actions (and Winchester or Ruger interpretations) and high end fixed power scopes. Both work, both get to the same place. Just different journeys to the same destination. Your fantasy's make no sense to me and I'm sure mine don't to you. I plain and simply don't get it and don't feel the need you have to be seen. You are welcome to quit badgering me to fit your lifestyle, a pretentious existence I have no interest in.

Great job explaining this ego-driven know-it-all's MO!

Pretentious...because it's not YOUR path.
Dumb...because it's not YOUR path.

But I must be the one who is an ego-driven know-it-all, right DrAwkward?

Because that makes sense...oh...I like SUV's that have power and luxury. Look at me! I'm pretentious! ROFL!

Also, I would ask...need to be seen? Where do you get that? How on earth is a midpriced entry level luxury suv a "need to be seen" purchase? Could it be that I simply value what it does when I drive it? It would be like me accusing you of hating yourself because you refuse to spend the money to have things I think are nice. Equally stupid and baseless.

Fyi, if I were going to spend 50k on being seen, it would be an older Aston Martin or something like that. I think that would be much more eye catching than a jeep that looks super similar to the base model. Don't you?

Last edited:
I am coming from driving Hondas and Toyotas for the past 15 years... (loved my honda btw).

I need something with ample cargo space, but also need a manual transmission... which leads me to the CX-5.

I've never owned a Mazda, but have read some things about the reliability... some bad, some good...

Any insight?

I've had a CX-5 for over a year now. Had one of the horns clunk out on me. Also have an issue with the adaptive cruise control picking up vehicles in other lanes (speeds of other vehicles range to slightly slower to a complete stop) and try adjusting the speed accordingly. The one dealership tried telling me there's nothing wrong.

Other then that I've really enjoyed the CX-5, great in the winter!

I've had a CX-5 for over a year now. Had one of the horns clunk out on me. Also have an issue with the adaptive cruise control picking up vehicles in other lanes (speeds of other vehicles range to slightly slower to a complete stop) and try adjusting the speed accordingly. The one dealership tried telling me there's nothing wrong.

Other then that I've really enjoyed the CX-5, great in the winter!

Yep, other than some radical failures of the driveline that can happen with ANY vehicle , it seems all I've had or read about are little niggles like this. There are no huge over-reaching issues with this platform that have yet come to light, IMO

Because that makes sense...oh...I like SUV's that have power and luxury. Look at me! I'm pretentious! ROFL!

Also, I would ask...need to be seen? Where do you get that? How on earth is a midpriced entry level luxury suv a "need to be seen" purchase? Could it be that I simply value what it does when I drive it? It would be like me accusing you of hating yourself because you refuse to spend the money to have things I think are nice. Equally stupid and baseless.

Fyi, if I were going to spend 50k on being seen, it would be an older Aston Martin or something like that. I think that would be much more eye catching than a jeep that looks super similar to the base model. Don't you?

Sounds like it's perfect for you.

And still you persist! I've told you my impressions and your above rant only bolsters my point. I'm not able to help you justify or rationalize your continuing unsolicited and ill-advice. Time for you to find another target.

Last edited:

That's a relief. It looks like there will be no more lectures telling us that the CX-5 isn't a great handling fun to drive vehicle. It is for us. It is "OUR PATH"

Dr. Awkward:

Covair and Split Window Camper in a previous life! Nice...

The Corvair had four one-barrel carbs and a very long throw on the four speed.
VW was a hard top camper.
My first wife and I took our cat with us on our honeymoon to the OBX in it.

Anyone who thinks Jeeps are so great should note that only Fiat (30th and LAST place) ranks lower in over all brand quality, LOL!

Anyone who thinks Jeeps are so great should note that only Fiat (30th and LAST place) ranks lower in over all brand quality, LOL!
They aren't "that great", but the SRT8 Jeep is a boatload of fun, and I have noted that SRT vehicles seem a bit better built than the regular junk they put out.

You bring back memories of driving a friends Corvair Fitch Sprint. NICE. My notables were a BMW 1600 and a number of SAAB 96 and a 95

About average so far (2016 CX-5 2.5L Touring - 17250 miles) - better than my last vehicle (2014 Cherokee TH) but not as good as others.
- Entertainment System loses settings (presets / time) intermittantly - hopefully solved by firmware update/flash
- stock tires very puncture prone (3) - I've replaced them with Michelins - so far, so good
- very intermittent (twice) transmission slip - when shifting from reverse to drive - I cannot reproduce this at will, but logged it on my last dealer visit just in case for warranty purposes.
- broken center console latch - dealer refused to fix under warranty - I'll be checking other dealers or doing the repair myself.

About average so far (2016 CX-5 2.5L Touring - 17250 miles) - better than my last vehicle (2014 Cherokee TH) but not as good as others.
- Entertainment System loses settings (presets / time) intermittantly - hopefully solved by firmware update/flash
- stock tires very puncture prone (3) - I've replaced them with Michelins - so far, so good
- very intermittent (twice) transmission slip - when shifting from reverse to drive - I cannot reproduce this at will, but logged it on my last dealer visit just in case for warranty purposes.
- broken center console latch - dealer refused to fix under warranty - I'll be checking other dealers or doing the repair myself.

Interesting. We have >19k on our 2015 and (knocks wood) have had no tire issues whatsoever. Tread life looks to be holding up nicely as well and we seek out twisty roads.
Keep us posted on the Michelins. Which ones did you get?

Interesting... my last vehicle was a 2016 Honda HR-V, which comes with Michelin tires. There's some folks on that forum who complain the tires are prone to puncture.

Interesting... my last vehicle was a 2016 Honda HR-V, which comes with Michelin tires. There's some folks on that forum who complain the tires are prone to puncture.

I actually had a customer trade in a 2005 Dodge 1500 for a Ford F150 (in 2005) because his Dodge's rims would not fit his favorite tires. He owned an oil company, and he said he kept killing the tires on the Dodge. Yes, he kinda did stroke a check for that difference in trade and the new F250 he also bought...

Interesting. We have >19k on our 2015 and (knocks wood) have had no tire issues whatsoever. Tread life looks to be holding up nicely as well and we seek out twisty roads.
Keep us posted on the Michelins. Which ones did you get?
Michelin Latitude - ~ 1200 miles with no issues so far.

I am coming from driving Hondas and Toyotas for the past 15 years... (loved my honda btw).

I need something with ample cargo space, but also need a manual transmission... which leads me to the CX-5.

I've never owned a Mazda, but have read some things about the reliability... some bad, some good...

Any insight?

If wanting to know about CX-5 reliability the first thing to do is eliminate non-skyactiv models from your research. Skyactiv models such as the CX-5 have only been recently built from the ground up in their Hiroshima plant in Japan using I'd say about 99% Mazda parts. You may find Fomoco (Ford/Mazda) parts for non-essential items such as the plastic intake boxes to keep costs down.

The skyactiv engine comprises of robust internal parts easily capable of Mazda's HP/TQ ratings. I do like Honda's engines better though considering they are an Engine company with a giant R&D budget. In terms of reliability the Skyactiv engines operate efficiently, cool, and with little mechanical problems. Its designed really well in terms of practical daily driving applications.

Its just my personal opinion- that one can forecast the long term reliability of an auto tranny by how smooth it operates and how little noise it generates. Clunky trannies that make lots of noise just don't feel reassuring to me that it will hold up 100k, 200k miles or so without spending money for repairs. Even if does last that long without having to repair it I'd be constantly annoyed. In terms od responsiveness and smoothness man the skyactiv auto tranny ftw (eco prrogramming aside). That said OP wants a manual and Honda builds the best manuals out there. I can't speak for CX-5 manuals but Miata manuals are the shiznit. All the Honda shifters (except for the CRX) I've driven had shorter throws than Mazda shifters except the Miata. If OP is shopping SUVs does the CRV and RAV4 even have manuals?

Back