The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

You guys need to understand Mazda's history, it took over 2+ years before the RX-8's won a race, it took 2+ years before the 2.0L MZR Turbo Motor for the Dyson Racing P2 Cars were even close. Mazda does all of their testing on track. Secondly, if you look at their times , they were a hell of a lot faster that a yea ago...basically you had a new head design that was untested and the data that they received, will be used to work on this years issue.

The #70 carsmechanical issue was totally unrelated to last years mechanical failure, so this is something that Marcus Shen will be looking into, as he is the lead engineer for the cars. Also, you remember that Mazda Races what it sells, that is their philosophy. They are not going to rush anything, nor I doubt that the really pushed both cars in the 24. You will see more improvement @ Sebring for sure.

You also have to remember that they have the smallest displacement in the class, as well as the other classes and that California with its higher emissions standards are holding up the D's from hitting our shores. As far as running the3 in ST, that will never happen, as they'll have the MX-5 and it's SkyActiv motor will be coming to ST Class and the GLobal MX-5 Cup in 2016

You guys need to understand Mazda's history, it took over 2+ years before the RX-8's won a race, it took 2+ years before the 2.0L MZR Turbo Motor for the Dyson Racing P2 Cars were even close. Mazda does all of their testing on track. Secondly, if you look at their times , they were a hell of a lot faster that a yea ago...basically you had a new head design that was untested and the data that they received, will be used to work on this years issue.

The #70 carsmechanical issue was totally unrelated to last years mechanical failure, so this is something that Marcus Shen will be looking into, as he is the lead engineer for the cars. Also, you remember that Mazda Races what it sells, that is their philosophy. They are not going to rush anything, nor I doubt that the really pushed both cars in the 24. You will see more improvement @ Sebring for sure.

You also have to remember that they have the smallest displacement in the class, as well as the other classes and that California with its higher emissions standards are holding up the D's from hitting our shores. As far as running the3 in ST, that will never happen, as they'll have the MX-5 and it's SkyActiv motor will be coming to ST Class and the GLobal MX-5 Cup in 2016
But patience is hard, I want to see them compete! lol, I understand, just trying to liven up the board a little bit and throw out random ideas I have. It's pretty boring with half the office out because of a snow flake. I understand only going forward with the MX-5 but they did have MS3's & Miatas in ST and it was nice to see a Mazda near the front at both the high hp tracks and the technical ones.

Speaking of testing on track...could they take one of the 6's they ran with the diesel to a random club track day? low cost engine testing solution!?!? I know they did the 25 hours of Thunderhill recently in a diesel 6.

I remember reading somewhere that the 70 is the test mule & whatever works well with the 70 they use on the 07. Unfortunately this time, the oil pump went on the 70 & the 07 was over heating. It's hell of a progress from last year & the year before that! The biggest complaint that I heard was high end speed & you know that Mazda had the Zoom Freakin' Zoom factor covered in the twistes. They'll figure it out at some point, but they aren't real competitive atm. They'll get it figured out & MAYBE have more than 2 damn cars going. I'd love to see different teams get their hand on a tiny Mazda Diesel engine. You have to admit, have a tiny 4 cycl diesel keeping up with (relatively) with the bigger v6's & v8's is pretty damn good!

Also the reason why they were in 1st for a short period of time was due to their Fuel Strategy. I remember MazdaSpeed's twitter account saying that they can go an extra 5 laps on the same fuel amount as their competitors. Their best lap times are about 5-6 seconds off from the gasers times. Not bad for a developing program!

I also enjoyed Lauri's relative out there tearing it up!

Last edited:
Well, if Mazda doesn't bring over or do something slightly performance related that isn't a miata, I won't be buying anymore mazdas. If the focus RS lives up to its hype and really does make it stateside, I'll likely be getting a lightly used one down the road.

Well, if Mazda doesn't bring over or do something slightly performance related that isn't a miata, I won't be buying anymore mazdas. If the focus RS lives up to its hype and really does make it stateside, I'll likely be getting a lightly used one down the road.

But the 2016/17/18 MS3 is coming!

It is coming stateside, confirmed.....curious to see what he pricing is going to be.

Mazda was consistently 3 seconds off the pace this year. Not nearly as bad as last year. But they have to quicken their development cycle if they ever hope to compete in the prototype class... New prototype regs are coming in 2016! Oh and the Lola chassis they are using is a bit dated...

They could take their sweet time with the Grand-Am GT because the landscape wasn't shifting as rapidly as it is now. The next 3-4 years will be transition years for USCR as they introduce GT3 spec to replace GTD, new GTLM cars, new prototypes, and eventually replace PC with the new European P3 spec cars.

Porsche was definitely on pace for another win this year until the late night debacle in the bus stop. I was rooting for the Falken car (it was their first 24 hour race!), but they had an engine failure that took them out Sunday morning when they were running in 3rd just a few seconds off the leader. I'm shocked the BMW was able to run the rest of the race without the rear diffuser and busted up front splitter. IIRC the damage occurred early Sunday morning in the bus stop...?

I was rooting for MSR and thought they had an awesome chance to win the race until Negri put the car in the wall in the international horseshoe on cold tires. Such a shame. That car still looked fantastic with the specialized low drag paint and the new Ligier chassis.

Overall, pretty fun race and another year of great weather! :)

20150122_124620.jpg

Without Phen to be a bad influence and force shots upon me, I was able to keep myself under control during the annual trip to the party porch for the fireworks. :) It was also 40 degrees.
IMG_0198.jpg

So where were all the Columbus people Sat morning? I was driving through around 8am but didn't see anyone. lol

So where were all the Columbus people Sat morning? I was driving through around 8am but didn't see anyone. lol

a little over 45k were here:
1ef8d974f33e2ce009dbd99a76182f63_crop_north.png

I was awake thanks to the kids, we could've got breakfast

I could see myself picking up a new 3 or 6 for a DD. I am halfheartedly seeking a stock 1st Gen RX-7 or older RX-3 or RX-2.

Last edited:
Thanks nate those 16" blizzaks may do the trick

No problem.

And all I have to say is WTF to everyone posting their MS3's for sale. I've seen about 4 on Facebook for over $20k. Don't buy what you can't afford kids!

No problem.

And all I have to say is WTF to everyone posting their MS3's for sale. I've seen about 4 on Facebook for over $20k. Don't buy what you can't afford kids!

It's that mixed with no self control or throttle control, and yes, that means wheel spin in the snow. Idiots.....

No problem.

LOL over $20k for a used Mazda that isn't an FD? Good luck! From what I've seen a lot are jumping ship for the new Fords. It's only a matter of time before we start to see "I oversteered my new Ecoboost Mustang around a tree..." stories.

Back