The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Did anyone tried any led light package on amazon canada site to replace the interior and trunk light? the one on ebay does not ship to canada

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Did anyone tried any led light package on amazon canada site to replace the interior and trunk light? the one on ebay does not ship to canada

Canadian Tire are now carrying a few LED bulbs for interior use. I have replaced my oem cargo bulb with a LED one from C.T. and love how much whiter and brighter it makes the cargo area. I can't remember the model number, but take your old bulb in with to make sure the length matches. I hope to update my dome/maplights in the near future from the selection at C.T.

Thanks for the inputs! Sometimes you would not know if the light in the cargo is lighting or not. That is one thing i want to replace

Negative, though the single CREE diode looks promising enough to provide equal if not better light compared to incandescent.

Personally, I'm done with Amazon and eBay crap (especially the iJDMtoy "brand"). They have all been either too dim, color is too blue (6000+k), and/or unreliable/overheats. With that said, I am exploring Morimoto's from TRS. Nothing but great reviews and awesome customer service from the most reputable after marketing lighting company. Great experience with their Morimoto LED Mazda projector foglight units and the price premium was well worth it.

Here's the Festoon Morimoto XB I just ordered to experiment in the cargo area.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/l...rimoto-xb-led-festoon-bulbs.html#.VsFE7lUrLnA

Also ordered a pair of these Morimoto 1157 white/amber switchbacks for the front signals. I have 102 SMD eBay switchbacks on my CX-5 now, but I'm not too happy with the amber brightness. It is only equal to OEM incandescent. Hopefully these are better without the price premium of VLED's Tritons.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/l.../morimoto-xb-led-1157-bulbs.html#.VsFE8lUrLnA

Personally, I'm done with Amazon and eBay crap (especially the iJDMtoy "brand"). They have all been either too dim, color is too blue (6000+k), and/or unreliable/overheats. With that said, I am exploring Morimoto's from TRS. Nothing but great reviews and awesome customer service from the most reputable after marketing lighting company. Great experience with their Morimoto LED Mazda projector foglight units and the price premium was well worth it.

Thats why I personally never bothered trying those for the interior lights, just went to Vleds to get them. I had one of the lights they send have issues, they send another one 2 day shipped no charge. Great customer support.

Forgot about VLED's. Another great place for LED drop-ins. I have some of their 194's I purchased years ago and they still work like new. Back then they were the only manufacturer that supplied reliable LED's that is equal or brighter than their incandescent counter parts.

Negative, though the single CREE diode looks promising enough to provide equal if not better light compared to incandescent.

Here's the Festoon Morimoto XB I just ordered to experiment in the cargo area.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/l...rimoto-xb-led-festoon-bulbs.html#.VsFE7lUrLnA

Also ordered a pair of these Morimoto 1157 white/amber switchbacks for the front signals. I have 102 SMD eBay switchbacks on my CX-5 now, but I'm not too happy with the amber brightness. It is only equal to OEM incandescent. Hopefully these are better without the price premium of VLED's Tritons.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/l.../morimoto-xb-led-1157-bulbs.html#.VsFE8lUrLnA

I actually have 2 31mm Morimoto LED from TRS... It is okay for the cargo, but still doesn't illuminate the whole cargo area of the CX-5, not much light can unless you retro something to the other side or on top.

One thing I hate is that it isn't "pure white" aka 5000k. It's more towards 5500k-6000k, white with a little hint of blue.

Since the Sylvania Zevo 6000k were too dim for my likings, I decided to swap it out with 2 of the Morimoto XB LED for the interior (center is XB LED, front/map is Sylvania), looks good, but wish I had all matching LEDs, though I tried using the XB LED for the front, it seem a little bit too big for that socket and would have been better if it was 29mm-30mm for front/map.

Note: You will need to find some metal cap or wire or something so the terminals of the Morimoto XB LED can have contact with the socket.

Slightly off topic

Has anyone removed the tail lamp assembly on a 2016 CX5? I stupidly backed into a tree branch (which was not visible on the camera) and it poked a nice gaping hole in my tail lamp. Just wondering how easy/difficult it was to remove? I'm moving with the wife and kid on Friday so I'm swamped for time this week, but I gotta get it done before the move or my in-laws will get pulled over for the broken taillight (they are driving my car 8hrs to our new place). Thanks.

Has anyone removed the tail lamp assembly on a 2016 CX5?
I've seen people swapped '15 taillight units with '16 LEDs. It seemed an easy task. But the LED taillight is expensive as it's a whole unit you have to replace. I may consider to have the insurance to cover the damage.

Slightly off topic

Has anyone removed the tail lamp assembly on a 2016 CX5? I stupidly backed into a tree branch (which was not visible on the camera) and it poked a nice gaping hole in my tail lamp. Just wondering how easy/difficult it was to remove? I'm moving with the wife and kid on Friday so I'm swamped for time this week, but I gotta get it done before the move or my in-laws will get pulled over for the broken taillight (they are driving my car 8hrs to our new place). Thanks.

If it's anything like the Series 1 CX-5's, which it should be. You need to pry off the plastic covers in the hatch area behind the taillights, disconnect the taillights, and undo the 10mm nuts. Pull the taillight unit towards you as you stand directly behind the car. It may take a bit of force.

I've seen people swapped '15 taillight units with '16 LEDs. It seemed an easy task. But the LED taillight is expensive as it's a whole unit you have to replace. I may consider to have the insurance to cover the damage.

Yeah, the unit isn't cheap, but not as expensive as I thought. For the record I paid $364 (398.00 including tax) from my dealer.

If it's anything like the Series 1 CX-5's, which it should be. You need to pry off the plastic covers in the hatch area behind the taillights, disconnect the taillights, and undo the 10mm nuts. Pull the taillight unit towards you as you stand directly behind the car. It may take a bit of force.

That's what I was hoping for. My concern was that I may need to remove the bumper cover, so I'm glad to hear that's not likely the case. I've done a few cars in the past that were setup like this and removal was pretty easy, so I'm hoping this will be similar.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

So all the connectors are plug and play if youre swapping from OEM bulb taillights to OEM LED taillights? I've been considering swapping MY14 with '16 LED tails. I haven't pulled the trigger cause I wasn't sure if the connectors are the same.

I don't know but these LEDs according to Philips reflect back into the mirrored reflector area.....

"Other 7443 / W21 LED bulbs on the market boast having many LEDs, and inflated lumens specs, but these 7443 LED bulbs by Philips are the ONLY ones that get the light where it actually needs to go The only street legal 7443 LED bulb in the market."

The design is different and according to that Lexus owner has more red color..
80-80_img_3703_2d378d2b55594952d849f596b3aec976d5c288c9_d92dc15cca5a27dbdb506df7ff2008326f081e82.jpg

Just curious if anyone has already installed this on their 2013-2015 CX5?

Car parts stores have tape (tinted Red, orange and clear) made for temp repair of tail lights, works well to prevent tickets, and will buy you some time.

Slightly off topic

I've done that in the past, so I can't knock it. But the car is only seven months old for me, so at this point in time i'm just going to replace the assembly. I'll keep the old one as a spare though, as it still works perfectly...just with a big hole in it.

Turns out that removing the old light assembly, and installing the new one is much much easier then I'd imagined. This took me about 10 minutes total, while holding a conversation with my father-in-law. Good job designing for serviceability Mazda!

...sent...

Just curious if anyone has already installed this on their 2013-2015 CX5?

Don't install those bulbs. It will wreak havoc to your vehicle's ECU. It will cause nearly all systems to act like something is wrong, making all the warning lights on your dash to turn on. I spend $120 for my local Mazda dealer to diagnose the issue. It all pointed back to these bulbs.

My personal assessment after all that is, these Philips LED bulbs are not compatible with Mazda's design of the electronics on the CX5's. Luckily for me, the merchant I purchased the bulbs from allowed me to return them for a full refund (including shipping).

I ended up buying the OEM 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT LED Taillight assemblies (Left & Right, Inner and Outer) for around $600 for the complete set. Installation was a breeze, and it was all plug-and-play. Very happy with the outcome! OEM is typically always best for form, fit and function!

Last edited:
Don't install those bulbs. It will wreak havoc to your vehicle's ECU. It will cause nearly all systems to act like something is wrong, making all the warning lights on your dash to turn on. I spend $120 for my local Mazda dealer to diagnose the issue. It all pointed back to these bulbs.

My personal assessment after all that is, these Philips LED bulbs are not compatible with Mazda's design of the electronics on the CX5's. Luckily for me, the merchant I purchased the bulbs from allowed me to return them for a full refund (including shipping).

I ended up buying the OEM 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT LED Taillight assemblies (Left & Right, Inner and Outer) for around $600 for the complete set. Installation was a breeze, and it was all plug-and-play. Very happy with the outcome! OEM is typically always best for form, fit and function!

Really appreciate your reply on this. At least now it is clear that the OEM LED Taillight is just plug-and-play. I'll order mine now. 😄 By the way, there's no problem on the harness right? It is the same as the 2015 model?

Cheers!

What year model of cx5 did you have? I am curious if you came from the old tail light model.

Latest posts

Back