The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

I have been impressed with quality of the VLEDS (Bellingham, WA)

Still running strong in my fogs, DRL, cargo and trailer lights....

Just to confirm, what VLED bulb are you using in your DRL...a 9005 LED I am guessing? My understanding is that the projectors in the Tech model acts as both a high and low beam and your DRL has only one brightness. Unfortunately for me in my non-Tech my DRL also acts as my highbeam, so the beam pattern from a LED replacement just won't work properly in my reflector.

I used P13W in mine but I have HIDs.

I can see how the p13w would work for just a DRL(in a Tech model like yours), BUT, I see the VLED website says " Not for use as a headlight or primary source of light for night time driving", SO, these would not work for me as a replacement for my DRL/highbeam (in my non-Tech) I am assuming.

I can see how the p13w would work for just a DRL(in a Tech model like yours), BUT, I see the VLED website says " Not for use as a headlight or primary source of light for night time driving", SO, these would not work for me as a replacement for my DRL/highbeam (in my non-Tech) I am assuming.

You are going to lose your high beam... I think it is the 9005 for the non-tech

I believe you need something like this too so LEDs aren't dim from DRL.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Sorry for the upcoming dumb question perhaps but I am bot an expert:

Is there any lighting upgrades that can be done on a 2016 GT other than the interior lighting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the upcoming dumb question perhaps but I am bot an expert:

Is there any lighting upgrades that can be done on a 2016 GT other than the interior lighting ?

License plate lights, reverse lights. Those are the two easy ones I know of. You can easily convert those to LED and give your car an even much better look. Cheap too.

You are going to lose your high beam... I think it is the 9005 for the non-tech

I believe you need something like this too so LEDs aren't dim from DRL.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

While this decoder may prevent malfunction, diming and/or flicker of the LED it would not make the LED light beam emission more compatible with the reflector, at least in my non-Tech. This is the biggest issue that non-Tech owners face when trying to upgrade their halogen oem DRL/highbeam bulbs to LED's that I have read about; the beam pattern that LED's create is just not as good as that of the oem halogens. Yes, these LED's tend to be brighter and whiter but a poor beam pattern just isn't a good tradeoff for many. I'll be the first non-Tech owner in line to buy a LED that is designed to perfectly complement my DRL/highbeam reflectors. If you or anyone else out there knows of such a LED PLEASE let me know.

P.S. I now have LED's in my fog light surround which act as my DRL's, so I have pulled the DRL fuse to disable my DRL so that only my highbeams turn on when I need them. This helps avoid the more obvious yellowish color of the old DRL's. So it's now my yellowish highbeam color I want to resolve, hopefully via a compatible LED as mentioned above.

Last edited:
License plate lights, reverse lights. Those are the two easy ones I know of. You can easily convert those to LED and give your car an even much better look. Cheap too.

I've already converted the license plate lights.

Do you know what bulb are required for reverse ?

Last edited:
I ordered those December 13th and still havent received them.

I opened an issue with seller for refund which he did

Hope they do eventually come in

EDIT: They finaly came in 2 days ago!

A post on another thread from a guy in Quebec (where as you know winter temperatures get pretty darn cold) has installed the VLED brand LED's for his foglights which he says have worked really well. I believe he has a non-Tech version so check out the following link.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-lights/h11/white-10-led-drl-fog-light-bulbs-h11-h16-1-pair.html

VLED's 5000K foglight LED bulbs would be the way to go as they produce a whiter light vs the 6000K which would give off a slightly bluish hue (so I have read).

These will be my bulb of choice to buy once the $C exchange rate improves as I live in Canada as well.
Thanks for the input. I agree that it is a good buy once our dollar goes good. Where I live the temp is pretty cold as well. Much worst than Quebec :) Can you show me where I can see the thread for the guy who live in quebec?

I also wonder what are the error codes being mentioned here?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I just bit the bullet and found some at 33$ CDN on Amazon. I believe its a good product and will last the lifetime of the car ( at least thats how i convinced myself of spending *%*@$!? 38$ tx incl. for 2 tiny light bulbs!!

Thanks for the input. I agree that it is a good buy once our dollar goes good. Where I live the temp is pretty cold as well. Much worst than Quebec :) Can you show me where I can see the thread for the guy who live in quebec?

I also wonder what are the error codes being mentioned here?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I believe it was VROOM who started a thread at:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123842433-Morimoto-HID-kit-from-TRS-review

He installed LED's in his fog lights as well as HID's in his lowbeams. He has a non Tech as well. He has some great pictures and install info on his HID light upgrades. His post #21 makes specefic reference to his fog LED light replacement.

Not sure about error codes as I don't have any of these light upgrades myself as of yet. Maybe this other thread might have some insight. I can't recall now. That's what happens when I read to many threads. Can't remember who said what, where!! (dunno)

Last edited:
I just bit the bullet and found some at 33$ CDN on Amazon. I believe its a good product and will last the lifetime of the car ( at least thats how i convinced myself of spending *%*@$!? 38$ tx incl. for 2 tiny light bulbs!!

I vaguely remember seeing Philips LED rear light replacements at Canadian Tire. I was thinking of giving these a try.

If you're talking about rear license plate lights, I use LEDs from this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) with newer and brighter 5730 chips. They're there for 3 months now and have no issues.
I take it that the 5730 chips are more robust and can handle heat better --->less issues with regards to loading/codes?
CX-5 doesn't check the burned-out bulbs. You won't have load issues and get any error codes by swapping these OEM incandescent bulbs (not halogen) for dome, map, license plate, reverse with LEDs. Newer 5730 LED chip is definitely brighter. Who knows the longevity of these eBay LEDs. They're so cheap anyway and I haven't had any issues for 4 months now.

I just use two spare LEDs came with the https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for reverse. It does change the yellowish OEM reverse light to white light which is much better looking. They're "free" and I'm not going to spend additional $30 for two reverse LEDs which are having more effective light output.

Back