The CX-5 LED Lighting Thread

Ohhh thanks. That's interesting.

I can see it being a cleaner and easier install. Though I wonder if that really fits the CX-5. Also is it a better option than a cheap $5 pair of load resistors that simply taps into place? Load resistors are proven and can be removed with ease as well.

A bit curious what the output is compared to incandescent. The price is very attractive for a Philips unit. They make very good LED's (E.G. VLED's Tritons).

Last edited:
A bit curious what the output is compared to incandescent. The price is very attractive for a Phillips unit. They make very good LED's (E.G. VLED's Tritons).

Features:

Street Legal
7443 Vision LED Red
Up to 5 times more light than halogen
12 Volts
2 Watts
Vibration resistant
Heat resistant
12 years lifetime
Sold in pairs - 2 bulbs per package.

The LED has to be brighter somewhat.
I'm only interested in the LED because it's a Phillips.Looks brighter in the Lexus pic on the url above.
Also looks like a simple plug and play as I assume the LED doubles as a taillight and brake light.

XD10 code 10% off today.
I may order a pair.

Last edited:
I've seen many websites claim their LED's to be brighter than incandescent, but they are dimmer in reality. There are a few 7443 units under $50 that can somewhat match the output of factory bulbs. A few CREE's and Samsung LED's, but all require modification to be a true dual circuit 7443.

I dug up some info on the Philips 7443. Trying to find more, but all I can find is vendor marketing from xenondepot.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276726-7443-type-Clear-bulbs

I've seen many websites claim their LED's to be brighter than incandescent, but they are dimmer in reality. There are a few 7443 units under $50 that can somewhat match the output of factory bulbs. A few CREE's and Samsung LED's, but all require modification to be a true dual circuit 7443.

I dug up some info on the Philips 7443. Trying to find more, but all I can find is vendor marketing from xenondepot.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276726-7443-type-Clear-bulbs

I don't know but these LEDs according to Philips reflect back into the mirrored reflector area.....

"Other 7443 / W21 LED bulbs on the market boast having many LEDs, and inflated lumens specs, but these 7443 LED bulbs by Philips are the ONLY ones that get the light where it actually needs to go – The only street legal 7443 LED bulb in the market."

The design is different and according to that Lexus owner has more red color..
80-80_img_3703_2d378d2b55594952d849f596b3aec976d5c288c9_d92dc15cca5a27dbdb506df7ff2008326f081e82.jpg

Last edited:
A bit curious what the output is compared to incandescent. The price is very attractive for a Philips unit. They make very good LED's (E.G. VLED's Tritons).

I emailed and asked about this LED's brightness.
I received this reply.

"Philips didn't design these bulbs to be the brightest options; rather ones that provide a road-legal beam pattern. You also get the benefit of instant on/off which stock incandescent bulbs cannot do."

Good enough for me.I ordered a pair for $37.38 shipped.I like using LEDs.

Last edited:
Let us know how the output is compared to factory incandescent. Some side by side comparison pics would be nice (one side LED one side factory).

Let us know how the output is compared to factory incandescent. Some side by side comparison pics would be nice (one side LED one side factory).
Agreed. I'm also curious how well it "fills" the reflector. Keep in mind that the purpose of red lights in the back is to be seen... not to illuminate the road, blind the person behind you, etc.

I think that was one of the goals of these Philips LED's. They point back towards the reflector (in most cars) instead of directly shining out.

Agreed. I'm also curious how well it "fills" the reflector. Keep in mind that the purpose of red lights in the back is to be seen... not to illuminate the road, blind the person behind you, etc.
This Led bulb does not glow forward. It reflects back into the reflector.
Check out it's design.
I find it interesting it lights up and off faster than the regular bulb too.

I think that was one of the goals of these Philips LED's. They point back towards the reflector (in most cars) instead of directly shining out.

Can't go wrong with bright brake lights IMO. Many new cars with LED brake lights are very bright and can be fatiguing if stared at during night time traffic jams. Otherwise, I think it raises safety by raising alert (brightness) for a short period of time during braking.

As mentioned before. Brightness is a concern, but even distribution is another. Our 7443 sits diagonally in the housing at an awkward angle, so I wonder how these rear firing units will perform.

Last edited:
The Philips site has a link for which cars this bulb has been certified. No Mazdas listed. Doesn't mean it won't work but you may not get the best results.

I went with the red VLEDS Triton 3 for stop/tail and amber for the front/rear turn signals. I've noticed reflective signs behind me will be illuminated by my rear turn signals. The Tritons were costly but well worth it. I especially like how you can adjust the lens for the emitters in/out to 'focus' the pattern.

As mentioned before. Brightness is a concern, but even distribution is another. Our 7443 sits diagonally in the housing at an awkward angle, so I wonder how these rear firing units will perform.
Do you have (or know of) a picture or image showing how the factory light sits inside the housing? I went and took a look at my own car, but it's difficult to see through the lens...

Edit: nevermind, post 21 of this thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...hting-Thread&p=6182459&viewfull=1#post6182459) seems to have a diagram. THAT bulb doesn't look like it's inserted at an angle... if there is one, how sharp of an angle is it?

Last edited:
It is definitely at an angle. A relatively aggressive one too. I would say about 35 degree south east. I'll try to get a pic of it tonight. It is more noticeable with cylindrical shaped LED units.

Where are you guys buying your load resistors? I'd assume the CX-9 and the 5 are the same in terms of using the same products and similar installation process.

Back