Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

There is another joy to driving than just a 0 to 60 sprint or 1/4 mile time. A smooth running engine and a great shifting manual transmission with a suspension that allows some cornering approaching 1g. Ed

And I think I included that in my comment...Nelson

They have more power starting in the 2019 model year.

But I entirely agree on pricing. They are just as much if not more than the CX-5 now. The whole point of a Miata was supposed to be an affordable, everyman's sportscar.

You can still get a Miata for 26K MSRP, and closer to 23-24 at the right time. The base price of the Miata in 1991 was ~$14K which is...wait for it, you will be shocked, you will be amazed, is 26K today. Go figure.

For all the Mazda owners that want to buy Macans, Stelvio and Jaguars, we are the cheapest ass bunch of people.

You can still get a Miata for 26K MSRP, and closer to 23-24 at the right time. The base price of the Miata in 1991 was ~$14K which is...wait for it, you will be shocked, you will be amazed, is 26K today. Go figure.

Interesting, and thank you for the math breakdown.

I don't know, guess my brain doesn't understand why a small car I can barely fit in costs the same as my CX-5.

Top subforum comment 2018

ou9BwrW.jpg

(rlaugh)

Good one, Chris!

I don't know, guess my brain doesn't understand why a small car I can barely fit in costs the same as my CX-5.

Couple of factors, one being cost as they produce less of them so the per unit cost of things like roof mechanisms, body panels, etc goes up because you don't have 100's of thousands of units to spread the tooling costs over. Also the things like the platform not being shared with any other Mazda makes the cost go up. The other factor is they can charge more because a Miata tends to be a second car for most (not all) people and if you are buying a small two seat convertible for a weekend car you probably have a higher disposable income and can afford to spend a little more. This is from 2014, but still relevant: https://www.wardsauto.com/dealer/average-convertible-buyer-defies-youthful-image

Couple of factors, one being cost as they produce less of them so the per unit cost of things like roof mechanisms, body panels, etc goes up because you don't have 100's of thousands of units to spread the tooling costs over. Also the things like the platform not being shared with any other Mazda makes the cost go up. The other factor is they can charge more because a Miata tends to be a second car for most (not all) people and if you are buying a small two seat convertible for a weekend car you probably have a higher disposable income and can afford to spend a little more. This is from 2014, but still relevant: https://www.wardsauto.com/dealer/average-convertible-buyer-defies-youthful-image

Yeah, I figured things like that and it makes sense. Just how my brain works lol.

These are all true, and I agree with every single one of them, but it still doesnt mean it isnt overpriced for what it is, nor that it cant be viewed that way, apparently even by people who love them, yet are still buying them, so to each their own they say...

The more power was 21 hp that basically did next to nothing (I already included it in my underpowered statement). It shaved off .1 tenth on 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 5-60mph roll numbers. That*s nothing to right home about. Sure, it revs way higher to 7600 and is more driveable, but that about it.

The car needs 225-250 hp imo. It weighs 2300ish lbs, so it would be great imo to see a 10 to 1 hp to weight ratio, so we will say 235hp. They handle great, are rwd, but they get blown away elsewhere in the sports car categories. They hang in the corners, and get ass raped by 20-30 car lengths down the straightaways. Waste of my gas to even mess with them...
While I agree a 230hp miata I
Would be awesome, the 21hp and rev increase is much more significant than a 0-60 number can suggest. The 2019 car would be much faster in autocross and road race.

A 38k Miata is too much for sure, but you can still get a manual sport st sticker for 25k before the huge discount that's available.

A 38k Miata is too much for sure, but you can still get a manual sport st sticker for 25k before the huge discount that's available.

I definitely agree there, a $25k sounds appealing as all get out, unfortunately, my mind just doesn*t work like that, bare bones and all...

While I agree a 230hp miata I
Would be awesome, the 21hp and rev increase is much more significant than a 0-60 number can suggest. The 2019 car would be much faster in autocross and road race.

I agree. We had one show up two weeks ago at an event. It revs nicely, and can be kept in 2nd gear tops the whole course, luckily...

True...just looks like the Club is the sweet spot, but it's priced what like 3k, 4k more? But I may consider a used Miata as a fun weekend car one of these days.

I think the Miata is way overpriced. I mean the nice ones are approaching $40k now...

Was really surprised to hear Unob say they were *priced right*...

I think they*re cool little cars, but no way am I ever a buyer at their current prices, and I still think they*re underpowered as well...

$33K seems just fine for what you get, when you compare it to other vehicles in and around its segment. Compare it to the S2000 (not as powerful, but way lighter, too...) or the BRZ/FRS twins (A few thousand more, but MUCH nicer). How is this out of line?
https://www.superiormazda.com/inven...f-grand-touring-rwd-2dr-car-jm1ndam73k0302568

ETA: WTF is this $38K Miata people are talking about?

Because the material cost isn't a big deal. It's the fact that yes, it still has a roof, chassis, springs, engine, blah blah blah. The only thing it's lacking is a back seat and 2 more doors, but that isn't just "dead space", it must still be filled with engineering and materials.

Think of it like this...do you think adding an extra paddy to a burger makes it 200% as expensive? Nah, it just adds a fraction of the cost to the burger stand, and a bit more to your purchase price. Well, car manufacturers have thinner margins than burger stands, so it's even less.

Then of course you have the "sale volume" vs. "Cost to develop and produce" thing, so the price actually goes up. In fact, I've heard it rumored that certain years of the Viper were seeing it as a loss-leader for the sake of the Halo car existing, and money was lost on each one sold at/near MSRP. True? I dunno, but it IS plausible.

Why is a Ferrari more expensive than a Z06? It's not faster in any way, nor does it handle better, and the interior isn't worth another $150K, so...is Ferrari pocketing $200K per? No, I doubt it. R&D costs. Low production volume vs. cost to manufacture is a beast. I see this all the time with firearm things. You want a rail for your M4 anodized a certain color? Great. Minimum order is 50. If you were to actually get someone to ano a 1-off for each customer...the price would get STOOPID. Cars are similar.

I think the Miata is way overpriced. I mean the nice ones are approaching $40k now...

Was really surprised to hear Unob say they were *priced right*...

I think they*re cool little cars, but no way am I ever a buyer at their current prices, and I still think they*re underpowered as well...

A grand-touring RF costs around $33-34, what are you talking about?

Back