CX-5 Reliability, cost of ownership and what's been done (personal experience)

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
I'm posting this to help potential new drivers decide whether they want to become a member of the Mazda CX-5 family.

Here is my own 2021 CX-5 signature experience in terms of reliability, cost, and what I have done to it. (Turbo model!!!)
My CX5 was purchased back in mid-July of 2021. Currently sitting at 60k miles

The cost-> MSRP was $40175 but I got it at a discounted price of $40500 with tax and everything out the door. I got the 0% finance for 60 months too. From my understanding, it could be $650 cheaper if I go with the silver color because it does not come with FRONT & REAR BUMPER TRIM PACKAGE. At this price for my package, it also comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty and $50 per call roadside assistance for a lifetime. And one free oil change is included.

Kinda a problem 1-> FRONT & REAR BUMPER TRIM PACKAGE; Beginning at 53k miles the front bumper trim package sliver paint started to peel a little from where I got rock chips. (That could be the way I drive! no rock chip no problem lol) last week when I was washing the car there were a lot of bug guts, so I hit it hard with SunJoe 1875psi pressure washer with a 40-degree tip. The paint on the front bumper trim package will come off with the bug. (That can potentially be me not careful and spraying it with the pressure washer for too long IDK. I spray them the same way as all other panels that didn't happen to others)

Kinda a problem 2 -> I notice Mazda paint will chip by rocks easier than other makes of cars regarding this issue there are numerous discussions on this forum.

problem 3 - > (This is a big deal for me!) 2.5T Oil Burning Issue; from 0-7066 miles that's when I did my first free oil change at the dealership no issues yet. 3000 miles right after that, it started with oil burning issue; moving forward around every 3000 miles low oil light will come on. (I try to do my own oil change every 5000 miles. But sometimes I didn't top off and end up with an oil change when the light comes on.) But fortunately, there is a fix for that issues right now! I had the TSB done and the issues had been fixed!!!
This oil burning issue had me regret buying this car, though of trading in the car so many times but thankfully they had the TSB out and fixed the issue. (Corrected @ 41k miles)

Problem 4 -> Mirror Folding Issue; At around 39k miles my mirror won't fold all the way in and will not unfold all the way out. I found some TSB on this forum then took the car to dealership for service and I was told that my 2021 CX-5 Sig is not covered under this TSB, but they did go ahead and put tape around the mirror motor. “Which is applying the TSB lol” But one week later issue returned. Took the car back to the dealership they replaced both mirror folding motors and the issue was gone. So Far, It's Fixed Hopefully It Does Not Return.

Problem 5 -> Brake issue. Ever since 1200 miles on the car, my brake started squeaking. At first, it was just at the beginning of each drive. Eventually, it develops into squeak on every braking. Never went to the dealership for it. Because at the beginning it was bearable (I play audio loud) but when it develops into squeaking on every brake it was too late for warranty work. I know there is a TSB for it. But I end up just replacing the brake and rotor, not a big deal.

Problem 6 ->rattle noise on the dash and left rear door. Slight rattle here and there. It comes and goes. I can probably fix door rattles I just haven’t had the time for it yet. (Probably caused by me doing soundproofing didn’t put clips back on right). Dash rattle comes and goes it's very minor I just noticed. Haven’t checked out yet.

someone told me this car might consume a lot of coolant but with 60K miles I have only added about 16 oz of coolant. That's not much ?? I used peak Asian green. Just found out yesterday that Mazda coolant is a 55/45 mix, I will just switch over when it needed to be top off next time.

IN CONCLUSION: Most of the problem that I experienced so far does not impact long-term reliability. The only thing that may have had a slight effect on the engine is the oil-burning issue, but the issue is corrected. (TBH I’m not too sure if that did anything to engine reliability.) No other problems found yet! So far, I would consider this car to be reliable but not all worry-free. If problems 3 & 4 didn’t happen, then I would consider this car to be worry-free; I heard those problems were fixed in later model years. I can’t confirm that, maybe some member here can help on this one. If I could go back and reconsider this car, I would buy it again; and definitely would buy a later model year.

gas-> This car always ran on 93 octanes; before any mod it can go 25.5mpg; With mod and Micheline PS AS4 it can go 24ish; with mod and micheline CC2 it gets bad lol 22mpg

Things that I did to the car + all maintenance (costs are at 90% accuracy)
yes, I know certain things will void the warranty and put a toll on the car.

@day one window tint cost $500

@7066 first oil change free; dust off filter; new tires Michelin pilot sport all season 4 with replacement/road hazard warranty in size 245/50/19; new 4 wheels Drag DR-80 8.5jx19; (everything was done at discount tire free finance and $250 off total cost $2300 with tax)

@12389 oil change; ($7 Mazda -mv oil filter and 6QT mobile 1 full synthetic from Sam’s Club were $28 so factor in 5.3QT oil total cost $31); free tire rotates and balance at discount tire; new intake with heatshield from corksport sport cost $335.

@16275 same oil change setup from above cost $31 added 5.3QT to help with oil consumption; free rotation and balance; dust off filter; New windshield because of a big rock chip, it was more expensive because of HUD cost $850 went with PGW brand Mazda OEM were very pricy and not to mention it takes two weeks to come in. The front set wiper cost $37.

@19110 same oil change cost $31; dust off intake; free rotation and balance; cabin air filter change from Amazon unknown brand for cost $11; road hazard tire damage cost $46. Burger tunning piggyback JB4 installed with Bluetooth app cost $670.

@23804 same oil change but the price went up on oil cost $33; free rotation and balance; dust off inner and outer filter. Corksport boost tube cost $80; BG44k added cost $27.

@28281 Same oil change cost $33; free R&B; dust intake; cabin filter change cost $11; corksport exhaust cost $650.

@32827 same oil change but -mv filter price went up cost $35; Rear wiper cost $9 Amazon; BG44k added cost $27.

@36467 Sam’s Club went up on oil price, so I went to Walmart and got a 5QT bottle of Mobil 1 extended performance for $29 per bottle. Got 2 of the 5QT bottle and the same -mv oil filter and factor in the 5.3QT that is needed for this oil change total cost $40; New set of tire MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 in size 245/50/19 costs $1470; dust off filter.

@41693 used 5.1QT Mobile 1 extended performance also could not find -mv filter so used the expensive OEM filter total cost $44; dust off filters; free R&B.

@46418 Mobil 1 EP and -mv filter cost $40; dust off filters; free R&B; spark plug from AutoZone total cost $76. From what I read Mazda turbo can only use this spark plug.

@51297 same oil change cost $40; clean intake; change cabin filter cost $11; new brake and rotor set using power stop z23 cost $526; brake bleed using 2 bottles of prestone DOT3 32oz cost $19; New wheel set Konig Ampliform 8.5jx19 cost $1400 from discount tire.

@56155 same oil change cost $40; dust off filters; R&B. Front set wiper cost $37; BG44k added cost $27;

@60541 same oil change cost $40; clean intake clean; cabin filter change cost $11; R&B.

Now I have not done trans fluid and diff. haven’t got time yet. Probably will do it very soon.

I know the cost of my ownership is expensive, but a lot of stuff are non-essential costs. Essential costs like all oil changes, filters, brake bleed, spark plug, wiper, corksport SRI (without that I will have to change engine filter often too), and one set of tires Total essential ownership costs are $2200 @60k miles this car is very cheap! It could of be even cheaper if one went with a cheaper tire set. (I didn’t include brake change cost because I changed out at 51k miles there is still half of pad life left. Changed just because of noise). Compare to my 2019 VW Tiguan it was 3x cheaper even more lol.

Edit:
just did the transmission fluid change; it was just drained and filled (Mazda FZ was used $17.5 x 4) Total of $76. I had to say the car did drive better after the fluid was replaced. About 3.8qt of fluid came out and fill in all 4qt.

I found that the OE crush washer was painted black on the outside edge. so if you planning on buying a used Mazda you can check if OE black-painted crush washer is still in place then the transmission fluid is probably not changed!

Update: as of 8/19/2023 oil consumption came back! took it to the dealership. They cant do anything about it because TSB has been done on my car

Last edited:
Kinda a problem 1-> FRONT & REAR BUMPER TRIM PACKAGE; Beginning at 53k miles the front bumper trim package sliver paint started to peel a little from where I got rock chips. (That could be the way I drive! no rock chip no problem lol) last week when I was washing the car there were a lot of bug guts, so I hit it hard with SunJoe 1875psi pressure washer with a 40-degree tip. The paint on the front bumper trim package will come off with the bug. (That can potentially be me not careful and spraying it with the pressure washer for too long IDK. I spray them the same way as all other panels that didn't happen to others)

Kinda a problem 2 -> I notice Mazda paint will chip by rocks easier than other makes of cars regarding this issue there are numerous discussions on this forum.

Pressure washing the paint on your $40,000 car? On your concrete sidewalk, sure, on water based paint, not so sure!

Surely a hose and a towel would suffice?

It could of be even cheaper if one went with a cheaper tire set. (I didn’t include brake change cost because I changed out at 51k miles there is still half of pad life left. Changed just because of noise). Compare to my 2019 VW Tiguan it was 3x cheaper even more lol.

And that's VW, a mainstream German brand. Now imagine the cost of BMW or Mercedes parts and service.

And that's VW, a mainstream German brand. Now imagine the cost of BMW or Mercedes parts and service.
Pressure washing the paint on your $40,000 car? On your concrete sidewalk, sure, on water based paint, not so sure!

Surely a hose and a towel would suffice?
didn't know it can damage car paint I used a 40-degree tip so it should be safe.

and I'm comparing the two cars because they are in the same price range. but yes i do agree german cars are more

I'm posting this to help potential new drivers decide whether they want to become a member of the Mazda CX-5 family.

Here is my own 2021 CX-5 signature experience in terms of reliability, cost, and what I have done to it. (Turbo model!!!)
My CX5 was purchased back in mid-July of 2021. Currently sitting at 60k miles
(y)

problem 3 - > (This is a big deal for me!) 2.5T Oil Burning Issue; from 0-7066 miles that's when I did my first free oil change at the dealership no issues yet. 3000 miles right after that, it started with oil burning issue; moving forward around every 3000 miles low oil light will come on. (I try to do my own oil change every 5000 miles. But sometimes I didn't top off and end up with an oil change when the light comes on.) But fortunately, there is a fix for that issues right now! I had the TSB done and the issues had been fixed!!!
This oil burning issue had me regret buying this car, though of trading in the car so many times but thankfully they had the TSB out and fixed the issue. (Corrected @ 41k miles)
This’s a problem caused by a batch of inferior valve stem seals introduced into the 2.5T engine assembly line when Mazda revised the part for unknown reason (cost cutting? vender change?) and proved to be a costly mistake. The TSB stated that the seal has been revised again and that should fix the oil consumption problem. I strongly suggest every 2.5T owner whose VIN is in the range listed in the TSB should take his CX-5 or CX-9 to a Mazda dealer to get those faulty seals replaced before the powertrain watranty expires.

Problem 4 -> Mirror Folding Issue; At around 39k miles my mirror won't fold all the way in and will not unfold all the way out. I found some TSB on this forum then took the car to dealership for service and I was told that my 2021 CX-5 Sig is not covered under this TSB, but they did go ahead and put tape around the mirror motor. “Which is applying the TSB lol” But one week later issue returned. Took the car back to the dealership they replaced both mirror folding motors and the issue was gone. So Far, It's Fixed Hopefully It Does Not Return.
At 39K miles, how did you get motors of auto folding mirrors replaced under new-car warranty?

someone told me this car might consume a lot of coolant but with 60K miles I have only added about 16 oz of coolant.
The coolant consumption issue isn’t a big deal, although you got to use Mazda FL-22 coolant or at least FL-22 compatible aftermarket coolant to top off. Mixing with non-compatible coolant with factory FL-22 coolant is really a bad idea.

In addition, you really want to watch for the coolant level more often and look for any sign of coolant leak from the back side of the engine. A TSB for the cracked cylinder head on the 2.5T has been issued. And to fix it that will cost you an arm and a leg without a warranty. This problem seems to be happening at higher mileage as we started to see such problem on older CX-9’s in past 2 ~ 3 years which started to use the 2.5T since 2016 MY.

(y)

This’s a problem caused by a batch of inferior valve stem seals introduced into the 2.5T engine assembly line when Mazda revised the part for unknown reason (cost cutting? vender change?) and proved to be a costly mistake. The TSB stated that the seal has been revised again and that should fix the oil consumption problem. I strongly suggest every 2.5T owner whose VIN is in the range listed in the TSB should take his CX-5 or CX-9 to a Mazda dealer to get those faulty seals replaced before the powertrain watranty expires.

At 39K miles, how did you get motors of auto folding mirrors replaced under new-car warranty?

The coolant consumption issue isn’t a big deal, although you got to use Mazda FL-22 coolant or at least FL-22 compatible aftermarket coolant to top off. Mixing with non-compatible coolant with factory FL-22 coolant is really a bad idea.

In addition, you really want to watch for the coolant level more often and look for any sign of coolant leak from the back side of the engine. A TSB for the cracked cylinder head on the 2.5T has been issued. And to fix it that will cost you an arm and a leg without a warranty. This problem seems to be happening at higher mileage as we started to see such problem on older CX-9’s in past 2 ~ 3 years which started to use the 2.5T since 2016 MY.
yes, they replaced it under warranty I didn't pay anything.

should I do a drain and fill on coolant? I just read about FL22 yesterday. Also, I do have a lifetime powertrain warranty idk if they would consider this issue under powertrain

yes, they replaced it under warranty I didn't pay anything.
Your Mazda dealer really treated you very well and replaced auto folding motors without new-car warranty! I would disable the auto-folding mirrors as it seems to be a problem Mazda couldn’t fix since 2012 CX-5.

should I do a drain and fill on coolant? I just read about FL22 yesterday. Also, I do have a lifetime powertrain warranty idk if they would consider this issue under powertrain
Peak Asian Green coolant definitely is NOT a FL-22 coolant although its formulation may be similar. It’d be a tough call IMO if you want to do an early coolant flush now just because you’d added ½ quart of it into the system. May be just flush the overflow reservoir if you just added it recently?

Yeh a lifetime powertrain warranty should cover the potential cracked head problem, as long as the third-party warranty company is in business.

I also heard a story that the third party warranty company wanted the car owner to pay $2,000+ diagnose fee to tear down the head and “prove” the cylinder head is cracked.

Latest posts

Back