New 2017 CX-5 Grand Select owner

Just bought a 2017 CX-5 for my daughter to drive. 55k miles, Blue Mica with white interior. It's been fun learning about a "new to me" car and starting to work on it. Order (from Rock Auto) new rear pads and rotors, air filter, cabin filter, AC/alternator belt, and oil filter. Put on new wiper blades and went over a bunch of the basic stuff- how to check oil level, put windshield washer fluid in, changed wiper blades, where to find tire pressure info and check tires, etc.

Will work on some detailing once it warms up a bit more, lots of little cosmetic scratches, but she loves the dark blue and the white leather interior.

We added the CarPlay last night and it's working great.

My niece has the same car, so we discussed some of her maintenance questions, and installed the CarPlay module but her software needs updating, so will work on that shortly (I forgot to confirm she had 70.000 before we put the unit in as I had already checked it in my daughters). Nice to have a car that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to work on myself.

Any common issues I should look for, or things to do while I'm leaning about the car?

While I'm here- one thing I noticed is there's no SD card in the car. I am not concerned with not having navigation as most cars nav is very outdated compared to apple/waze, but are there any other used for the SD card that we might be missing? I notice in my nieces car every time she starts the car it downloads her contacts and that seems to take a while.

I've seen the nav card on Amazon for like $50 but if I don't need navigation/maps is there a card I can put in there with specific files to clone the OE card but not have nav? Or if there any use outside of navigation or maps I'm missing without the card?

or should I ask this in the infotainment section? :)

Congratulations on the new (to you) cx5 for your daughter. It should be a great car for her 👍

... new rear pads and rotors ...

Make sure you learn about maintenance mode for the rear brake work before you get into it. (If you hadn't already).

The cx5 is easy to work on, IMHO 😁

While I'm here- one thing I noticed is there's no SD card in the car. I am not concerned with not having navigation as most cars nav is very outdated compared to apple/waze, but are there any other used for the SD card that we might be missing? I notice in my nieces car every time she starts the car it downloads her contacts and that seems to take a while.

I've seen the nav card on Amazon for like $50 but if I don't need navigation/maps is there a card I can put in there with specific files to clone the OE card but not have nav? Or if there any use outside of navigation or maps I'm missing without the card?

or should I ask this in the infotainment section? :)
There's a setting to not import contacts, it's in the settings screen for the phone. That will speed bootup time. If you add new contacts turn it back on so it will download the new ones.
If you have the HUD the Nav SD will provide speed limits, stop signs etc until the sensors identify the signs.

Congratulations on the new (to you) cx5 for your daughter. It should be a great car for her 👍

Make sure you learn about maintenance mode for the rear brake work before you get into it. (If you hadn't already).

The cx5 is easy to work on, IMHO 😁
Thanks and I had already checked on the rear pad system. Just replaced rear pads and rotors in my car and had to do the same thing.

There's a setting to not import contacts, it's in the settings screen for the phone. That will speed bootup time. If you add new contacts turn it back on so it will download the new ones.
If you have the HUD the Nav SD will provide speed limits, stop signs etc until the sensors identify the signs.
this car doesn't have the HUD, but will check into turning off the contact refresh and see if that helps.

Niece is getting the 70.000 update done on her car at the dealer for $50. Figured they can check her car out while it's there and she can get a list of things that need to be done.

Thanks and I had already checked on the rear pad system. Just replaced rear pads and rotors in my car and had to do the same thing.
Definitely worth checking if the pads you took out were evenly worn. If not - caliper may need some work

There's no use for SD other than the nav. It is a godsend in no coverage areas

Last edited:
if you mean speed limits and stop signs - they are integral part of the nav/maps
is there something else?
Yes. They only use the nav database until they detect a sign. I know this because they changed the speed limit on one of the roads near my house from 40 to 35 and the HUD detected the change as soon as it detected the speed limit sign.

Definitely worth checking if the pads you took out were evenly worn. If not - caliper may need some work

There's no use for SD other than the nav. It is a godsend in no coverage areas
I haven't changed the pads or rotors yet. Before I bought the car I took it to the guy that works on our cars for a PPI. He gave me a few areas to look at over the next 3-6 months. Rear pads and rotors, engine serpentine belt, and further down the road there was a slight drip in the valve cover gasket. I've ordered new pads and rotors for the rear and the belt. With only 55k miles on it I probably won't do the tensioner but will check it when I replace the belt.

Sounds like if I don't need navigation, I don't need the SD card. I know on the rare occasion where I don't have cell service the OE nav might be handy so some day may pick up the SD card on amazon, but for now with waze and other apps I'm good. I have downloaded/offline maps in some other apps that I can use if needed (Gaia, LocusPro).

Yes. They only use the nav database until they detect a sign. I know this because they changed the speed limit on one of the roads near my house from 40 to 35 and the HUD detected the change as soon as it detected the speed limit sign.
Oh yes sign detection.
In my experience by the time it detects a stop sign I'm already braking. And if I'm not - it's too late.
Speed limit signs - sometimes that actually helps, but in many cases they are irrelevant (like from other lanes/side roads)

Sounds like if I don't need navigation, I don't need the SD card.
SD cards could be found for as low as $20, I think it's worth it even if it's used just once in lifetime.
But no guarantees that they're going to work so there's a risk
So many factors to consider

Back