Should you buy a Turbo CX-5?

⋯ Checking/adding a little oil is not a big deal for me as I have a nice garage full of tools and I've been working on my own cars for 50 years. So long as the oil consumption does not significantly increase I have no problem leaving things as they are.
You said your 2021 2.5T “add about 10-12 ounces of oil to bring the level back to the upper dot on the dipstick after 2,500 miles”, this means your 2.5T burns ¾ quart of oil per 5,000 miles. While it isn’t excessive to car manufactures but it is to most enthusiastic car owners especially for a new engine. My 2.5L NA burns ½ quart per 5,000 miles and I’m not really happy about it but at least I don’t have to add any oil between oil changes. For comparison, my 1998 Honda CR-V didn’t use any oil when new, and uses about ½ quart of oil in 5,000 miles right now at 191,776 miles.

Burning oil isn’t good to your expensive catalytic converter and oxygen sensors in the long run. If you don’t plan to keep your CX-5 long then you may not to worry about burning some oil at your rate. I personally would take all my effort to get those defective exhaust valve stem seals replaced under warranty if I had a 2021 2.5T. Just like I pushed my Mazda dealer to replace the defective rear disk calipers under warranty once I saw the related TSB posted here.

You said your 2021 2.5T “add about 10-12 ounces of oil to bring the level back to the upper dot on the dipstick after 2,500 miles”, this means your 2.5T burns ¾ quart of oil per 5,000 miles. While it isn’t excessive to car manufactures but it is to most enthusiastic car owners especially for a new engine. My 2.5L NA burns ½ quart per 5,000 miles and I’m not really happy about it but at least I don’t have to add any oil between oil changes. For comparison, my 1998 Honda CR-V didn’t use any oil when new, and uses about ½ quart of oil in 5,000 miles right now at 191,776 miles.

Burning oil isn’t good to your expensive catalytic converter and oxygen sensors in the long run. If you don’t plan to keep your CX-5 long then you may not to worry about burning some oil at your rate. I personally would take all my effort to get those defective exhaust valve stem seals replaced under warranty if I had a 2021 2.5T. Just like I pushed my Mazda dealer to replace the defective rear disk calipers under warranty once I saw the related TSB posted here.
Agreed. My '21 2.5T isn't burning ANY oil per 5k at present and I am over 20k miles.

Getting the valve stem seals replaced should be covered under the powertrain warranty, correct? I'm having oil consumption issues and I'm new to all of this. This is only my 2nd vehicle, my 1st never had any major issues...

Getting the valve stem seals replaced should be covered under the powertrain warranty, correct? I'm having oil consumption issues and I'm new to all of this. This is only my 2nd vehicle, my 1st never had any major issues...
Yes it should covered under 5-year 60,000-mile Powertrain Warranty (US).

Not extreme high mileage but not seeing any noticeable consumption on dipstick of my ‘15 PY-VPS (80K miles), ‘07 VQ35HR (130K miles) or ‘12 1UR-FE (83K miles)

I love my '23 Turbo Sig. You do You, I'll do me. All good.

jerry-seinfeld-popcorn.gif

Turbo should have bigger gas tank
100% agree.
I do mixed drives.
Turbo consumes more gas.. The tank is just slightly larger.
It needs to be 15% larger.
On highway, MPG might be closer.
However, I don't miss driving the N/A.

AFAIK,
Choose: (more reliable)
N/A engines w/o CD
Turbo engines after '21 (revised)

100% agree.
I do mixed drives.
Turbo consumes more gas.. The tank is just slightly larger.
It needs to be 15% larger.
On highway, MPG might be closer.
However, I don't miss driving the N/A.

AFAIK,
Choose: (more reliable)
N/A engines w/o CD
Turbo engines after '21 (revised)
You made me double check this, but the tank is not larger at all. 15.3 gallons for all trims.

A turbocharged engine still has more moving parts, connecting parts, and points of potential failure than the same engine without a turbo, right?
Some people don't get that. The other point is that while reliability is better, longevity has yet to be proven. I doubt you'll see many of these bad boys at 150k miles on an original turbocharger. It's a hard working unit spinning at high RPM and subject to high heat. Longevity is not the nature unless you're talking about a Kenworth or a Mack truck.

Last edited:
Lol. Understood. I have clashed with him many times. I think he has figured out I am not going to bow down to him...
I saw your reply on the "transmission whine" thread. Lol, he always knows everyone and every situation and millions of people to back him up. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

I have been lucky. I started driving in the early 70's and have lost count of the new vehicles I have had. I have never had one that used oil between changes. I am at 13000 miles and due for an oil change soon and oil is still full on the dipstick. this will be the 3rd oil change and will be right at 5000 miles.

Back