Supercharged MP3 Build

So I have a few questions about this. Obvious since it's a bolt on supercharger, do I have to get the specific brackets to make it fit on the FS-DE or is there somewhere it can already mount to? Also, is the belt to drive all of this easily available or is it a special order type deal?

Basically if I'm thinking of this right, you just need the supercharger which is driven by the belts, intake, header (optional) and a wideband with an SAFC. Is there something I'm missing? Why is the intake way down by the supercharger? Is there an inlet/outlet on the supercharger itself?

Also, how much power do you think you're running? Would the 5psi be low enough to run on a stock motor without worrying too much about reliability over the long run? If it's making 150ish WHP then a good tune should keep it going for awhile.

In post #89 2nd pic you can see a small portion of the mounting plate needed to install the SC. I will try to find a pic on my camera. Here you can see all the parts that came with the mr. speed kit:
dsc_0618.jpg

The flat plate shown is what you use to mount the SC. First you mount the plate to the old A/C location, then you mount the SC to the plate.

The belt needed to run the SC can be found at any auto parts store, I got mine at autozone. The belt shown in the pic will not work in the protege, it is too long. The belt goes on the crank, power steering, and then SC (previously the AC location).

The very minimum in order to run this kit would be SC itself, some kind of tuning option, some kind of BOV/BPV, intake piping, aftermarket header and slim fans. If you do not the plan on using the MSP ecu you will need different fuel injectors or find a solution yourself due to maxing out the MAF signal. Slim fans are a must because of the routing for the intake piping. I have feeling the stock header would not work due to the large front cat probably blocking your intake to the SC inlet.

The inlet/outlet is on the supercharger itself, that is why the intake piping goes down so far into the engine bay since the SC sits pretty low in the engine bay.

As far as power I would have to guess something between 150-170 whp, but torque probably close to 180 as I have it now. I plan on going to get dyno'd 1st week of May so I will post that once I get results. I have no idea about reliability, but I don't see why it shouldn't hold if you take care of it and drive smart. Having the on/off switch is very good for this because you dont' have to boost if you dont want to. For example I usually turn off the SC on the highway cruising in 5th gear since many people blow there engine in that gear either flooring it or due to high engine load. The power level is not anything crazy, but it is very sufficient. If I were ever to change the pulley (in order to raise the boot pressure) I would defiantly make some sort of intercooler setup with it.

EDIT: As far as videos, I actually took my camera yestarday in hopes my friend could get some video clips. But due to light rain the roads got wet and I couldn't get anything worth while. The car would always loose tractio nin 1st, 2nd or even 3rd due to no LSD, so it wasn't worth taping.

Last edited:
See I don't understand how the off/on switch works, I've never seen/heard of a forced induction setup with an on/off mechanism.

See I don't understand how the off/on switch works, I've never seen/heard of a forced induction setup with an on/off mechanism.

I also never heard of an on/off SC until I started researching the project, and yes it is almost the same as how the AC compressor clutch works. The reason the SC needs to be an Eaton M62 "clutched" is because only the mercedes ones used the clutch. There are other M62's, like for the pontiac bonnevilles or chevey cobalts and others, but all of the other ones dont have the special "clutch" feature, meaning they always stay on. The reason the mercedes one has a clutch switch is because the SC only engaged when the person would be going full throttle to help accelerate. There are two wires coming off the SC itself, and you simply wire a switch in between the power supply and the SC. If the switch is off, no power goes through, which lets the pulley portion of the SC freely rotate but does not transfer the rotation into the SC blades. When the switch is on, current goes through the clutch causing a magnetic attraction causing the pulley and SC blades to stick together and thereby spin together.

You should come out to Tirerack this weekend with WCMC and do some autocrossing with it ;) .

Last edited:
You should come out to Tirerack this weekend with WCMC and do some autocrossing with it ;) .

Please PM me more info about the auto x. I do plan on auto-xing, but was waiting until next weekend. But I am itching to get out and try out the sc, so I might just come by.

Also, I saw you post earlier before you edited it,lol, here is a little more explanation about the SC on/off thing.

attachment.php

The wires are hooked up to a switch in the cabin of the car, just like fog light I can turn it on/off. When it is off/ the pulley just spins freely with the engine, but the blades in the SC dont spin so it makes no pressure =NA mode. When the switch is on/ the clutch "sticks" with the pulley, which is connected to a shaft which spins the blades in the supercharger which then gives me boost = SC mode.

Attachments

• SCclutch.jpg
    SCclutch.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 528
Just wondering the clutch on/off mode, should you have 2 settings for F/I controller mode?
One for SC off and one for SC on.

Also, I saw you post earlier before you edited it,lol, here is a little more explanation about the SC on/off thing.

Ha! Yeah my first post was a bit rude, and I figured there had to be a more valid explanation for it than what I assumed. (drunk)

That is very cool! I'll PM info on the autocross. I don't know if I'll make it. I'm having some issues getting the Miata started and don't know if I'll have time tonight to figure it out...IF I do, I'll be tuning the Miata on the drive to the autocross. . .

Sorry everyone for the lack of updates, it has been a very hectic month. My SC kit might be for sale soon (as wells other parts and the car itself), it all depends on what happens in the next two weeks...

did you blow it up or is money tight?

also what kind of Fuel economy where you getting running on highway with SC off?

Neither actually. I just graduate from college and am very close to getting a potential job in Europe, just need to finish some paperwork. (rockon)

Gas millage on the highway I have been getting a constant 29-30mpg with SC off. Before I would get about 32 mpg. Mixed city and highway is about 28 now with SC on and off.

Does anything have to be adjusted when the sc is off, like does the afr change or timing or stg? Or you just dont step on it...

thanks I am getting about 34 in my probe no supercharger or ac hooked up, just wondering what it would be like if I hooked my supercharger again, I drive about 300miles a week for work

Wow, how did I miss this thread?!? Updates?

As far as updates, the kit was uninstalled and sold to HKPRO5 (he has a thread in the protege5 section about his install also). I ended up putting the car back to stock and selling it. It had nothing to do with the kit, which worked great, its just that priorities changed.

I still have some video that I have been meaning to upload, I will try to get that up soon.

It was definitely a worth while experience and a fun project. Hopefully HKPRO5 can add on to it. My only regret is that I wasn't able to get a dyno done and try it out at auto-x.

I am sure that if a supercharger was tried out about 5 years earlier, at the time when the womp kit and others were being looked into, it would have been a great success. The parts to make the kit are not that difficult or costly, and having a very easy install there would definitely be a bunch more proteges with supercharger. The low boost, but great response of the SC make it perfectly suited for the protege.

Ah that sucks... but priorities are understandable.
Reading through this thread made me think about the possibility of doing this with my build; high compression supercharged Proteg - which could still be considered NA when the switch is off - that would be interesting. Not sure my stock rods could take it, not that I'd go above 5psi or so.

Back