Supercharged MP3 Build

:
Mazda MP3

At first it seemed that there were alot less parts to install, but it now seems that the amount of parts is very comparable with a msp type setup. The good things is that it uses the stock intake manifold, exhaust, and I already have an OBX header. I will not be using a intercooler (for now) and there are no oil or coolant lines to run. The SC also has a cluth on it that will allow me to turn it on/off with a flick of the switch. Mount the SC, connect some piping, do some electrical wiring, put on a belt..done. lol

I dont have a lot of free time so I will be editing this from time to time whenever I get the chance with more and better info.

Parts: * indicates already purchased
-*Mr. Speed Supercharger kit :
(intake piping, filter, bov, SC mounting plate,SC piping adapters, couplers, etc.)
-*Eaton M62 "clutched" supercharger off a Mercedes SLK 230
-*SSAFC V2
-*AEM Wideband
-*Reducer couplers for MAF
-*Ford probe thermostat housing
-*Sparkplugs
-*PVC valve
-*ZFR6F V-power NGK sparkplugs
-*Slim fans and controller
-*Radiaor coolant hose
-*MSP check valve
-*wrx 440 injectors

Done:
-Wire up SSAFC
-Wire up AEM Wideband
-Remove A/C
-Run vac line SSAFC
-Paint Header with high temp paint
-Cut piping to fit MAF location
-Wrap header with heatwrap
-Reinforce welds on mounting plate
-Install vac splitter block
-Reinstall stock crank pulley
-Install new sparkplugs
-Install supercharger in place
-Install intake piping and bov
-Paint piping and mounting plate
-Install slim fans
-Attach coolant hose and fill up
-Put interior plastic back in place

To Do:
-Clean up wiring and vac lines
-Clean up engine bay
-Finish tuning ssafc
-Organize this thread better

Pic1- Eaton M62 supercharger
Pic2- Inside the SC
Pic3- A pile of thing I have pulled off
Pic4- Thermostat housing off a ford probe
Pic4- A/C adapter plates. (left is off my car, right is off the probe)

*More pics on following pages.

*Short video on page 4

Attachments

• 100_0584.JPG
    100_0584.JPG
    708.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 100_0585.JPG
    100_0585.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_0581.JPG
    100_0581.JPG
    569.3 KB · Views: 434
  • 100_0579.JPG
    100_0579.JPG
    551.1 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_0583.JPG
    100_0583.JPG
    851.2 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Got the AC off today, as well as finishing up the wiring.

At the same time I have also discovered 3 problems:

1. The AC mount on the protege is different then the probe. This is where the SC will mount so the current "kit" plate will not bolt up with the holes. Luckily the bolts are in the same place in the block as in the probe, but that means I need to find the adapter plate at a junkyard or something.
2. The bottom coolant line is angled a different way then the probe. I think this will inter-fear with either the supercharger or the piping, so I will try and find the housing and hose for it from the probe.
3. The probe has a different type of sensor where the MAF is supposed to go. This is the least of my problems since it just requires cutting the piping to make it fit.

Some of the welds on the mounting plate look a little iffy, so I will probably end up re-welding them myself.

I know its hard to visualize what I'm talking about, I need to find a memory stick for my camera, hopefully by tomorrow.

why do you say that it's more simple than a turbo install?

your SC has to be dead on with the other pulleys or you'll be whipping off belts constantly.
and as you up the boost by changing pulleys, and belts you'll have to get an intercooler any ways, which will mean new charge pipes etc etc.

not to be a downer on the project as i'd like to do it myself oneday. but i'd like to know what you see the benefits as vs a snail.

js_protege, the link to pasted is the same exact kit that I will be installing minus the megasquirt, fuel injectors, and meth injection.

why do you say that it's more simple than a turbo install?

your SC has to be dead on with the other pulleys or you'll be whipping off belts constantly.
and as you up the boost by changing pulleys, and belts you'll have to get an intercooler any ways, which will mean new charge pipes etc etc.

not to be a downer on the project as i'd like to do it myself oneday. but i'd like to know what you see the benefits as vs a snail.

I never said it was a simple install, just less parts (lol2). I already have pre made mounting plates and such so alignment is not an issue. The biggest pain with a turbo setup seems to be running the oil and coolant lines. I completely agree that it starts to be a hassle when you want to up the boost. As for benefits over turbo, not much. The only thing is instant boost, that can be both a plus and minus. I will also be able to turn the SC on and off as I please, so it can run it NA or turn it on when I feel like it. In all honesty the reason I am doing this is to learn and try something different. There is a long history of trying to SC a protege, and this project kind of just fit into place. I know there are kits already made and I will not be the first, but I don't really care. My car is in the garage, I am getting bored of driving the winter beater, and I want to work on my car, what can I say.

good reason.

does the SC need oil or coolant for lubrication/cooling?

js_protege, the link to pasted is the same exact kit that I will be installing minus the megasquirt, fuel injectors, and meth injection.

I never said it was a simple install, just less parts (lol2). I already have pre made mounting plates and such so alignment is not an issue. The biggest pain with a turbo setup seems to be running the oil and coolant lines. I completely agree that it starts to be a hassle when you want to up the boost. As for benefits over turbo, not much. The only thing is instant boost, that can be both a plus and minus. I will also be able to turn the SC on and off as I please, so it can run it NA or turn it on when I feel like it. In all honesty the reason I am doing this is to learn and try something different. There is a long history of trying to SC a protege, and this project kind of just fit into place. I know there are kits already made and I will not be the first, but I don't really care. My car is in the garage, I am getting bored of driving the winter beater, and I want to work on my car, what can I say.

This SC uses a self contained internal lubrication system, meaning it has its own oil in it for the lubrication. It doesn't have anything for cooling other then being aluminum and having some heat diffuser fins.

Last edited:
this will be a cool project. but i've seen a few probes around supercharged with the fs de and there pretty worthless. lol n i hear there belts mess up alll the time.... TURBO IS THE WAY TO GO!!! hah good luck with it tho man i wana see what happens

I added a couple pics on page one if anyone is interested.

I went to the local salvage yard and got a a/c adaptor plate and a thermostat housing off a probe. Evertything fits good now, just need to clean off the parts and get a new hose for the coolant line.

should be cool, is it a daily or track car?

This is and will be my daily driver (except for winter). I also do a good amount of auto-x in the summer and plan on trying some high speed auto-x or track events. I think this will be a better setup for auto-x becuase alot of the turns require you to slow down and drops your rpm, but with this it should be instant boost instead of waiting for the power to kick in. I have seen a subaru rs with this supercharger on a cone course and it seemed to do really well.

this will be a cool project. but i've seen a few probes around supercharged with the fs de and there pretty worthless. lol n i hear there belts mess up alll the time.... TURBO IS THE WAY TO GO!!! hah good luck with it tho man i wana see what happens

never once had a problem with my supercharger belts, even with my overdrive pully....

the adapter plate should bolt to the engine block all by itself, I don't understand what your trying to say.

I would really be interested to see a comparison between the coolent pieces you changed

also would be really interested in getting more pics of the parts you pulled from the supercharger, it looks like it still had its OEM bypass setup from the benz

Last edited:
Back