Suddenly a lot of people seem to be mad at Mazda with the Protege...Why?

erm dont know about all this.
FOrd is owned by mazda, and they do share platforms and engines. But they are not entirely the same, and I believe there are mazda plants in japan (aka some mazdas are made in japan).
No fords are made in the land of the rising sun.

Originally posted by Lawerence
FOrd is owned by mazda,

Eh NO...

I believe there are mazda plants in japan (aka some mazdas are made in japan).

Yes they are called Protege 5's. :)

Why would they?

UHHHHH yeah check ur info again, MAZDA DOES NOT OWN FORD it's the other way around. And the guy is right why would they have a ford plant in Japan. They do have ford plants in other countries though. Oh wait I just saw that you drive a Spec V so that could account for you being slow. J/K Couldn't resist sorry Lawrence.

And I just have to say this. If you beleive that car companies do not share designs and parts and etc... with their affiliates then you are on CRACK and need to check into Bellvue. Like this example. Toyota and Lexus. hmmmmmm you can buy a air filter from Toyota for the landcruiser and pay like $30 or you can go to Lexus and buy the same part (exact same part in same bag that says Toyota on it) just different part # and about 3 times the price. Infinitis are just nicer Nissans. If it wasn't for VW then porsche wouldn't even be around today. Before you go jumping up and down screaming about something make sure you know what you are talking about. I never said that my P5 was made or designed by Ford but the fact that ford owns Mazda is enough for me. Add to that all of the problems I have had with my P5 and whola you get Me disliking ford and Mazda. I will say again though this is from my experiences not just saying what I think.

Hey BadDSM. The grinding has happened to me too when downshifting from 5th to 4th. It's hard to shift into 2nd from 1st too.

Last edited:
ok just to let every one know. my cusion drove my MP3 a couple of weeks ago and he says my tranny is better then his. He says that the throws on his tranny are so much longer then his. just thought i would let every one know this.:D

I have to say, I disagree with quite a few of the points brought up in the original post. I'll bring up two of them right now:

1) The whole "did you not test drive the car first" thing - Was I supposed to know that my bushings would need to be replaced every one-two months from a test drive? Hell no. Was I supposed to know that my entire console was going to make a hideous rattling noise during cold weather from a test drive in July? Hell no.

2) The dealer vs. Mazda thing. I agree somewhat. A dealer really has nothing to do with Mazda for service. However, when there is a known problem such as the MP3 bushings problem, you would expect the company that came up with the car to come up with a fix, not the dealer. I am still waiting for Mazda to come up with a fix for my bushings problem.

Don't get me wrong. I love my MP3. Its sexy, handles great, and everybody who knows me loves my car. I plan on keeping it until it completely dies. But do NOT tell me to sell my car because I have gripes with its problems. That is just plain ARROGANT. And do not try comparing a $20k investment such as the MSP to a piece of software that is delayed. I'm sorry, but people who are without a car after selling it, due to the delay of the MSP does NOT compare to the delay of the release of $50 Quake back in 1996. You've got to be kidding me, right? :rolleyes:

Chris

Lawerence said:
FOrd is owned by mazda, and they do share platforms and engines. But they are not entirely the same, and I believe there are mazda plants in japan (aka some mazdas are made in japan).

Ok, so Ford DOES NOT own Mazda...Ford does own 33% of Mazda, which in Japan is a controlling interest. Mazda runs Mazda, Ford does not. Ford invested the money to save Mazda so that it could become profitable once again. Which, Mazda is doing. Ford does not tell Mazda what to do, however, both car companies do share itdeas, platoforms etc...

The Protege (all forms of it) are built in Japan. In a factory outside of Hiroshima I think (check the dang FAQ to be sure).

This is my first response to this forum. Nice to chat with you all and I hope that you can help me and vice-versa.

I drive my 01' ES 2.0 for 18 months and loved it. I got a great trade in and got a 03' PR5 the 31'st of December of 02'. The only problem I noticed with my ES was the cold weather cluth chatter problem and was not that concerned with it becasue it got better after driving it for a while. Feel bad for my sales man who purchased it........the car was in great condition when i traded it in though.

I love my PR5 and already have almost 4k miles after a month and a half if driving. Seems to be the same as the sedan. Can't wait to put the stock tires back on and test the hard driving. Have snow tires and wheels on her now becuase I do a lot of skiing and driving in snow. The Dunlops suck in the snow.......

Well, just want to say I love my PR5 ands loved the sedan. You always have to remember that you will usually have problems with any kind of car you buy and problems should get fixed.

Did I mention that I do love my car and have no complaints about it except that seat heaters would bce nice........

later.......

well i didnt know mazda have alot of problem. oh well i like Protege i used to rent them and that car is a real good car with great handling and enough power to keep up with the traffic. yeah at least mazdaspeed comin. i dont see honda making any effort to bring the factory tuned car here like TYPE Rs TYPE S is a real joke.

Latest posts

Back