Suddenly a lot of people seem to be mad at Mazda with the Protege...Why?

To start it off VPower u speak good english, its ok. Ummmm i beat my tranny every friday or almost every friday when i goto the local races. But every other day of the week i take it easy and i have yet to have problems with the tranny. Its nice and strong so far for me. So no tranny bs from me and when mine does break its going to be ok cuz i know i did it. Just gotta suck some things up. The MP3 still to this day and everyday i drive it impresses me. Sure its slow but thats why we got turbo's out and ready to be put on.
Just my thoughts
Peace,
Zane

If you think our transmissions are bad go over to Club RSX
http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=55
and check out the problems with the 6 speeds in the RSX Type S, I'm glad that my budget kept me from buying one. Just check out their problems in general.
I'm sure that their are BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Rolls Royce owners that b**** about their cars on their boards. It's human nature to complain about everything.
Bang for the buck, I love my Protege 5. It's the first Mazda I've ever owned and it won't be the last.

sjdmp5, Thanks for the link.

Man! After reading some threads of Club RSX, I felt much better about my MP3's notchy 2nd gear. I thought it was just a common Pro symptom, and would never thought that Honda trannies could be worse, cause my '88 CRX shifts so smooth even with 200k miles on it, and no tranny maintaince. Too bad the notchiness seems to be something very hard to fix, as most if not all of those RSX that had their gears replaced/serviced still have the notchiness, just no more grinding.

What happened to new cars these days??? They all seem to have problems that is either hard to spot, hard to duplicate for showing the dealer, or things that's very hard to fix. (Bushings, tranny...etc.)

Regardless the disappointment, I still love my MP3 very much, and wouldn't trade for any other car within or slightly above its price range. :)

I'd be rather worried if new cars had a lot of easy to duplicate and fix problems! That's just a sign of slopiness.

I agree 100% with StuttersC!!!! it pisses me off when every one says blah blah blah my trany is broken ...blah blah blah my bushings make nosie blah blah blah.....etc. #1 it looks like the tranny problem is not only to mazda!!! the Spec V has trany problems and so does the RSX!!!! When you abuse you trany it will break. people just don't know how to drive it. People think you just slam the into gear. They don't think that well hmmm maybe some think can break.

I have an MP3 and my trany is fine and will never have any problem. (i hope) as of right now i have 27k miles on the car and it working fine. And yes i do get up on it the car alot. The noise from the bushing. Big deal. who cares. my car still out handles every other car in its class!!!! Every one that see my car jaw drops. It seems like every one now about the MP3 and drool over it when i roll up to them. It's a great that fun to drive that has a lot of options that i love. How about Mazda didn't make the MSP or the MP3 or the P5???? you would have to go out and by a nasty Civic Si (which looks like a damn matrics/mini van) or buy a Spec V (trany problems and is ugly) or by a RSX type s ( has trany problems and is 10 k more then the MP3). HMMMMM i rather have the MP3 over any of these cars.

Plus i don't understand what your doing to break the tranies?? Linux comes on the board every day letting us how he raced this car or raced that car and the same with Smp300. The both race their cars often and have a lot more stress on there trany then these other people yet their tranny has yet to break?? HMMM maybe these other people are not shifting right or something. i Thinks it's the driver not the trany.

thats my opinion. if you don't like it. TO BAD!!!

scott42 said:
...and I don't accept that whole "its a performance suspension, its supposed to make noise" That's s***.
(lol)
every driven a 93 RX-7 R1? Yah, the real sports cars are hella noisy...the Pro5 has sporty suspension, not squishy, stay-puft marshmallow cadillac susp...hmmph...

NC_MP3 said:
The tranny is crap. I have a long list of tranny problems and alot of the people have stock cars. Both my tranny's ****** up when I was driving them normally.

#1072/1500 MP3
#72/500 Yellow

Performance Mods
-----------------------------------
FS-ZE Intake Cam
Mazdaspeed Exhaust Cam
Tripoint Engineering Flywheel
ACT Street Performance Clutch
ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
MHP Cold Air Intake
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Bosal Header
Tenzo R Muffler
High Flow Cat
2.5 Inch Mandrel Bent Exhaust From Header Back
Ground Control Coilovers
G15M-R/G25M-R Hybrid Tranny
you really want us to think that you are driving your car "normally" with a mod roll call like that? :D

this situation forces me to bring out my opinion, which I do not give to most people, but **** it--

I'm not an unrealistic mutha fucka. The Protege is a fun daily driver, but that is all. yes, I play around with it as far as cute little blinky lights, air filter, and other miscellaneous gadgets go....but the real money is being saved up for my rear wheel drive Mazdas. Sure, I could turbo Pogo and pull some decent times, but why when the same money could land 12s with Josie? I love Pogo, but all he's good for is some daily driving with a twist of occasional friskyness and Honduh whoopins.

That is all.

Well I have no problems with my tranny but I still think MY P5 SUCKS. If any of you guys had to deal with the problems I have been having you would feel the same way. I am not saying that all P5s suck just mine. And as far as Mazda. well it is like this. My dealership straight out blows and should be shutdown but Mazda Corporate thus far has done a good job trying to make up for the dealerships shortfalls. Problem is that they are not totally innocent as they built and designed the car. I do not drive this car hard and have never raced it and it has given me problems since it had 3K on it. For a 20K car that is ridiculous. My opinion now is that I will not buy another Mazda product, mainly because of FORD. That is just my opinion. If you don't agree then fine don't agree but it is not gonna make me stop complaining about this Lemon of a damn car. Oh and I did test drive it and actually was really impressed. I drove all of the other competitiors and did my research and as far as bang for the buck, and general performance the P5 was top of the heap. I bought the car knowing it was underpowered and knowing that the car had some road noise but I did not buy all of these engine problems. Just imagine how you would feel if after you took your car back in for service and they replaced a few things to the tune of $600 worth of repairs(under warranty) they told you oh yeah BTW your car has been messed up since you bought it. So since this was the only P5 I had driven . Basically came back from the test drive and signed the papers. what am I supposed to do now. Well my future mods tell you.

OK sorry for the rant but I am tired of getting lumped in with these crybabys and things that are serious problems in my book explained away as simple annoyances. Maybe you guys that are willing to overlook and deal with so much should do a self gut check and stand up for yourselves. I mean if you feel like you did not get what you paid for then do what it takes to get it resolved. Now if your are just mad because you made an uneducated unresearched purchase then shut the hell up. Oh and I do agree that I am tired of the typical my tranny sucks threads. What most of them don't say is that they probably learned to drive stick on their P5.

OK sorry for the rant, Im sure I pissed on both sides of the fence with this one but I am not looking to please anyone but myself. As a side not though this board is really the only good thing about my car right now. Hope everyone on here had a great Holiday and here is to a new year.

Nothing is ****** here Dude, nothing is ******...Come on, you're being verrrrry un-Dude... :D

Lemons happen in every brand of vehicle. even WRXs. :p

Mazdaspeedgirl said:

(lol)
every driven a 93 RX-7 R1? Yah, the real sports cars are hella noisy...the Pro5 has sporty suspension, not squishy, stay-puft marshmallow cadillac susp...hmmph...

Well put!!.....Any time you make suspension components tighter, they will creak unless you put globs of grease on them every day. After owning two RX7s ('82 GSL w/13B streetport and '91) I would say that my Protege suspension is pretty quiet in comparison. Like i've said before, if people really care that much about their creaking sway bars there is a simple fix. Just spend 15 bucks on some Energy Suspension Greasable bushings and lube them up once every few weeks. I hardly ever grease mine, because i'm used to the noisy performance suspension. OK...enough of my ranting...lol

Just for clarification Mazda girl I am not killing off all mazdas. I love 3rd gen 7's and all of the miatas but have been burned a few too many times by FORD with my truck and now that I have a P5 that is messing up I am more or less blaming it on FORD. Mazda was a good company and I can see they are trying to get back there but FORD is really screwing them up. Well thats just my opinion. Oh and I know there are lemons with every car but that is not why I am getting anouther car. The reason behind that is as above it is a ford homologated product now and not too mention the SEVICE DEPARTMENTs for MAZDA in my town suck balls. Hey I think that the P5 is still a great little car but it has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't think I could even own another one.

OH yeah and I am not just playing the whole WRX is better so I am getting one of those games. That was one of the cars that I was looking at before the P5 but the P5 won me over on the test drive. I might be feeling differently if all of this had happened with more like 30K on the odo but I am just getting ready to turn 7K and the car is only 5 months old. So basically all of my experience with it has been bad. I think I really only got to enjoy it for about 3 weeks before thing started going wrong with it. Oh well to each their own. Honestly I may end up with a 2003 Honda SI for the mere fact that my stepdad sold them for like 10 years and I can get one hell of a deal on one. A deal good enough to drive it for a couple of years and sell it and still make a good chunk of change. Basically they have a demo with only 300 miles on it and I could get it for lets just say south of 15,500 OTD. Would you blame me?

Ford has had no hand in any way, shape or form in development of present Mazda Protege...Ford has no control over Mazda dealerships.

Mazda has no real control over Mazda dealerships. A dealership pays for the Mazda brand name. If the service centers in your area suck, I'm sorry. That is really lame. But to blame Mazda for that isn't right.

mazdadan said:

Well put!!.....Any time you make suspension components tighter, they will creak unless you put globs of grease on them every day. After owning two RX7s ('82 GSL w/13B streetport and '91) I would say that my Protege suspension is pretty quiet in comparison. Like i've said before, if people really care that much about their creaking sway bars there is a simple fix. Just spend 15 bucks on some Energy Suspension Greasable bushings and lube them up once every few weeks. I hardly ever grease mine, because i'm used to the noisy performance suspension. OK...enough of my ranting...lol
ehhhh-xcellente! greasing bushings every few weeks is going the extra mile. :D

I'm still lmao@"squishy, stay-puft marshmallow cadillac susp"
(rofl)

FuNwaGoN said:
Just for clarification Mazda girl I am not killing off all mazdas. I love 3rd gen 7's and all of the miatas but have been burned a few too many times by FORD with my truck and now that I have a P5 that is messing up I am more or less blaming it on FORD. Mazda was a good company and I can see they are trying to get back there but FORD is really screwing them up. Well thats just my opinion. Oh and I know there are lemons with every car but that is not why I am getting anouther car...
*annnnnd a well deserved snip* ;)

dude, it's okay. I don't think anything bad, I just feel sorry for you in your situation. Have a coke and a smile. :D

good luck to you in whatever endeavors you choose to seek....:)

StuttersC said:
Ford has had no hand in any way, shape or form in development of present Mazda Protege...Ford has no control over Mazda dealerships.

Mazda has no real control over Mazda dealerships. A dealership pays for the Mazda brand name. If the service centers in your area suck, I'm sorry. That is really lame. But to blame Mazda for that isn't right.
Ya know, i was gonna let this thread rest, but I have to say one more thing...I totally agree with u on this 1 Chris. I can't tell you how many times a day I hear "Mazdas are Fords...". daaaaaaaaammit! this frustrates me to no END!! but, what can you do?

BTW, I was NOT lumping anyone else in this thread with the ig'nant people who say "Mazdas are Fords...". It was a general statement. That is all.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:

Ya know, i was gonna let this thread rest, but I have to say one more thing...I totally agree with u on this 1 Chris. I can't tell you how many times a day I hear "Mazdas are Fords...". daaaaaaaaammit! this frustrates me to no END!! but, what can you do?

BTW, I was NOT lumping anyone else in this thread with the ig'nant people who say "Mazdas are Fords...". It was a general statement. That is all.

There have been Fords that have shared designs with Mazda, the MX-6/Probe, the Ranger/B-Series trucks for awhile. There are still some others today as well. Those cars I admit have had some serious problems and aren't the greatest.

However, the Protege isn't one of those cars. It sucks when someon get's a lemon in the bunch, and it sucks when the dealerships are assholes. I'm sorry to see someone bail on the Protege becuase he got a bad one.

I hope you have better luck with the Scooby...

i got a 91 mx6 for my first car with like 60k miles on it
just sold it with about 160k a cple months ago

that car had NO power, somehow killed 2 trannys (automatic so it wasnt my shifting) and had virtually the entire engine replaced part by part, not to mention the suspension

yet for some reason, I have no bad words for mazda, and have been waiting in line for 6 months (msp) for my next opportunity to own one.........i think its just that I enjoyed my car soooo much when it was running well, that it made up for all the clunking and pushing around town i did in between.

:)

of course my tune will probably change if after shelling out 20k for my msp it has chronic problems....

Still loving mine after a year

I've had my Silver P5 for well over a year now and still look back at it after I get out. When it's moving it shifts so sweetly and sounds wonderful for a little car.

For it's price range it's a load of fun and an eye-catcher. Can't go wrong.................

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
Nothing is ****** here Dude, nothing is ******...Come on, you're being verrrrry un-Dude... :D

Lemons happen in every brand of vehicle. even WRXs. :p
Oh......yes.
Big Lebowski.

Well thanks for understanding guys and lady(Mazdaspeedgirl) The thing is Ford does own Mazda. They also own Mercury, Lincoln, Merkur, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover. There goal is similiar to Chrysler. Remember not to many years ago when Mercedes was not a Chrysler product and then bam Daimler Chrysler happens. It is the same way with Ford and Mazda. Although Mazda is run independently you just don't understand corporations if you don't think that they use the same designers and parts when they can. I mean Jaguar is selling an s type which is nothing more than a nice body on a taurus platform. Not saying mazda is like this but I don't think it is fair to say that Mazda is it's own company and ford has no control over them. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. And second reson for my post is that I have owned 2 ford products and am not happy with the quality or longevity of them. Ah I could go on but since I have been sitting in this chair at work since 6:30 this morning and I just saw that it is 10 to 5 I am out. Will post tomorrow if not busy as hell like today. Thanks for the kind words from all on my problem and BTW I still look back at the P5 too. I love the car but have been bite hard by it and can't bring myself back the way I was. Night all

Latest posts

Back