Soon to be first time Mazda owner

mriber

:
Mazda CX5 Optimum 2.5L AWD w/MRCC (2016)
Hi,

I'm getting real close to a final decision to buy my first Mazda. I'm located in Denmark, so our names differs slightly from yours - but I'm looking into the Mazda CX5 2.5L Optimum w/adaptive cruise control+navigation. (I think this equals yours 2016 GT w/ tech package)
The retail pricing here in Denmark is close to 82.000USD, stupid taxes (180%)

Its very often to read on these forums, that if people in the US was able to get the Diesel version they would have gone with this - how come? Is it purely for the much higher torque?
I don't need the extra torgue - but I am looking for the most "fun" version to drive. Anyone got any experience wether to go with the Diesel or patrol.

I'll most likely going to sign the papers on wednesday and can then expect 4-6months of delivery.

Welcome aboard. I've had my CX-5 for 6 months and have not regretted it a day.

Did I read you correctly? That's $82,000 (US dollars)!

Thanks alot.

I think we have the highest taxes on cars in the world - we are paying 180% of taxes on new cars. This is however the retail pricing - I'be been able to negoiate it to ~77.000USD (517.000 Danish kroners)

I'm planning to get these add-ons as well:
Mud flaps
roof box
welcome lightning in the footwell
rubber tray in the trunk
automatic folding mirrors
Light in the trunk
LED upgraded light inside

Will also get the dealer to install the paddle shifters per this guide - will probably be expensive, but then the warranty still covers.

180% taxes is mind-boggling to me, but then again, the infrastructure and whatnot (I'm not getting political) over in parts of the EU is mind-boggling as well, so I guess it works out. Does the manufacturer offer folding mirrors over there, or is that just the dealer?

Yeah - the infrastructure in US and EU are very different.

The power mirrors are default in all of the packages - but you can convert it to auto fold when the car is locked. We also got the memory seats - but unfortunately no sunroof or roof rails (I would really want these :()

Yeah - the infrastructure in US and EU are very different.

The power mirrors are default in all of the packages - but you can convert it to auto fold when the car is locked. We also got the memory seats - but unfortunately no sunroof or roof rails (I would really want these :()

I would have paid extra to delete the sunroof here in the US but it was not possible. (argh)

Why? Because it's a very heavy option with the weight in the worst possible place (on the roof of an SUV which is already quite tall as it is). It's so heavy that CX-5's come with different strut springs depending upon whether there is a sunroof or not. This extra weight up high increases body sway during cornering, increases forward weight transfer under hard braking and reduces acceleration (and FWD traction under hard acceleration). It also reduces interior headroom by 1.5" but, fortunately, the CX-5 is quite generous in this respect to begin with.

I think you Europeans should consider yourselves fortunate that you can buy it without a sunroof! You get the better car.

WDid I read you correctly? That's $82,000 (US dollars)!
Yeah, consider we're lucky here as new cars are cheap in the US, and one of the cheapest in the world. In fact, everything is cheap here, cars, appliances, food, other than medical expenses and taxes which are so much higher!

Hi,

I'm getting real close to a final decision to buy my first Mazda. I'm located in Denmark, so our names differs slightly from yours - but I'm looking into the Mazda CX5 2.5L Optimum w/adaptive cruise control+navigation. (I think this equals yours 2016 GT w/ tech package)

Its very often to read on these forums, that if people in the US was able to get the Diesel version they would have gone with this - how come? Is it purely for the much higher torque?
I don't need the extra torgue - but I am looking for the most "fun" version to drive. Anyone got any experience wether to go with the Diesel or patrol.

I'll most likely going to sign the papers on wednesday and can then expect 4-6months of delivery.

I have the Diesel version and will happily recommend the Diesel version (128KW/420Nm version). IMHO, the much higher torque and fuel saving over petrol is worth the extra cost of Diesel. Assuming Mazda does not cheat on Diesel emmisions of course. It sounds like the top spec Denmark version (Optimum) is the same as the NZ version (called Limited) with bascially all options already ticked.

Please note that there is an known conflict with "SCBS Reverse" functionality and Mazda OE Towbar if you are thinking of getting the Mazda OE Tow Bar fitted. There is another Denmark user having the problem. Sounded like Mazda Denmark is unable to resolve the problem.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850063-SCBS-Reverse-Malfunction-Warning-Message

4 - 6 months is a long lead time. And Ouch, 180% tax. I feel for you ... !

Last edited:
I would have paid extra to delete the sunroof here in the US but it was not possible. (argh)

I usually think that I'm weird for not wanting a sunroof.

I had one in my B15 Sentra SE-R, and I mainly just used it to vent the car in the summer, which wasn't worth the extra $800 it cost. There was no sunroof optional on my Mazdaspeed3, and I don't miss having it one bit. My CX-5 GT has one, but I bought it used, so it's not like I'm the one who initially spec'd it. I don't know if I'd notice a handling difference without it, but given that I could tell the difference when I moved 35-40lbs of car battery to the trunk of my Sentra, I just might. Without knowing for sure, I'm indifferent to the sunroof at best.

The funny thing is that when I had my Miata, if it was dry and at least 55F, I'd have the top down.

I was never that much into the sunroof, more the roof rails i wanted :) But interesting to hear people's opinion on it anyway.

limleong> thanks, I've just spoken with the other guy from denmark, it seemed like it has been fixed.

I don't know if I'd notice a handling difference without it, but given that I could tell the difference when I moved 35-40lbs of car battery to the trunk of my Sentra, I just might.

If you noticed 40 lb. in your trunk, you would definitely feel the difference between sunroof/no sun roof. Imagine tying a 50 lb. bag of grain on your roof. You're going to feel it.

I guess you really wanted the Bose system? I had to order my vehicle, because the dealership only had units with the Bose+Sunroof package.
For me, the standard sound system is good enough, superior to other vehicles we own(ed). My first car had a sunroof and that was the last car I owned which had one.

If the CX-5 had a hardtop I'd remove it 90% of the time lol. Sunroof is a go for me always. Even with it on I'm still impressed with the handling characteristics I have been able to get out of this chassis and my modifications

Hi,

Good choice. You can get the lower output diesel tuned to the output of the more expensive engine (or tuned more). You should start looking at which modifications you want to put on it.

I guess you really wanted the Bose system? I had to order my vehicle, because the dealership only had units with the Bose+Sunroof package.
For me, the standard sound system is good enough, superior to other vehicles we own(ed). My first car had a sunroof and that was the last car I owned which had one.

I knew I wasn't going to be grafting an aftermarket stereo in there so, yes, I did want that. But, as I recall, I couldn't get the Technology Package without ordering the Bose/Moonroof. And I really wanted the adaptive HID headlights because I'm often on dark, wet twisty roads with no street lighting.

If I could have forgone the Bose to get it without a motorized sunroof, I think I would have.

Just called my dealer and placed the order - expected delivery around February, but I am sure it is worth the time.

Mazda CX5 2.5L Optimum (Is the danish name for the top model)
Jet black mica color
Adaptive Cruise Control
OEM Tow bar
Conversion to automatic folding power mirrors
Light in the trunk
LED Cabin light upgrade
Navigation
Mud flaps
17" Winter wheel (http://mazdaoac.palmerhargreaves.com/Image/GetImage/5833)
Additional rust protected (Necessary here in the nordics)

I have an agreement with a vinyl company, who will put vinyl on it - not quite sure about the color, probably matt black

Really looking forward now :)

Congrats mriber. Now can you answer this question. Why is it that Denmark butter cookies tastes so good!?!?!?!

Hi,

For $82K USD?

NICELY equipped: https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/x/x5/2013/start.html

How is this even a question!? You've lost your damn mind if you buy that CX-5 for $73,000 Euro

ETA: Or do you mean ANY vehicle is marked up like that? Hell, I won't lie, I'd bike.

CX-5um: thank you. Regarding the danish butter cookies, that is a good question. And to be honest - I'm not that much into them, so i think I'm really bad at answering that ;)

Unobtanium: Welcome to the danish taxes :) The BMW X5 is indeed a very nice ride - but in Denmark the cheapest model costs 168.000USD
We pay 180% taxes on cars :-(

I think Denmark (except for big cities where they are more convenient) is one of the only countries where the biggest market is mini cars, for example the Hyundai I10, 1.0l 66bhp (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5odeLpZhnPo/maxresdefault.jpg)
The Mazda3 is 10k USD more expensive in DK than the CX5 in US.

CX-5um: thank you. Regarding the danish butter cookies, that is a good question. And to be honest - I'm not that much into them, so i think I'm really bad at answering that ;)

Unobtanium: Welcome to the danish taxes :) The BMW X5 is indeed a very nice ride - but in Denmark the cheapest model costs 168.000USD
We pay 180% taxes on cars :-(

I think Denmark (except for big cities where they are more convenient) is one of the only countries where the biggest market is mini cars, for example the Hyundai I10, 1.0l 66bhp (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5odeLpZhnPo/maxresdefault.jpg)
The Mazda3 is 10k USD more expensive in DK than the CX5 in US.

What about the Mitsubishi Space Star?
2015-mitsubishi-mirage-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back