Soon to be first time Mazda owner

Economically, I'd say my area is doing better. It doesn't produce the GDP of the bay area, but there is less crime, lower unemployment rates, and a higher growth rate than the Bay area (Over 200% higher over the last decade). I think actual dollar-amount GDP is the only economic area in which the Bay Area is technically stronger, and it has 7+ million people vs. the 1/2 million in my area.

Plus the Bay Area has higher average earnings. Much higher.

I understand that, and I can afford to train with $1/round ammo if I want, but...why?

Because you need to keep your skills sharp for when the Gub'mint comes to git yur guns! (rofl2)

I'm just frustrated for OP that he's paying BMW money for a Mazda, in my book.

You're not paying attention:

mriber said:
The BMW X5 is indeed a very nice ride - but in Denmark the cheapest model costs 168.000USD

That's not BMW money, that's Mazda money!

Because you need to keep your skills sharp for when the Gub'mint comes to git yur guns! (rofl2)

You're not paying attention:

That's not BMW money, that's Mazda money!

Because shooting is one of those skills that I view as valuable. A person is their own law enforcement until law enforcement arrives, should one ever need them, no? Simply phoning the police does not much accomplish until their actual arrival. I view each person as responsible for themselves. Being able to use a firearm puts that into practice, whether it be for hunting, sport, or self-defense.

It's Mazda money where OP lives, but to ME, it's BMW money, hence why I am flustered by it and OP takes it well in stride.

As to the government confiscating weapons? Well, I doubt it. Not enough officers would back the play. Look what happened in NYS. Noone registered their weapons. It was a joke and they thumbed their nose at it.

Plus the Bay Area has higher average earnings. Much higher.

Yes, and also a much higher cost of living. Let's compare. In NWA, the median household income is $47,XXX. In the Bay Area, it is (I used Santa Clara County, the highest income area, other Bay Area county's were around $67-75K) $93,500.

Adjusting income...

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

You find that where I live, I actually "make more" than if I lived in any county except Santa Clara, by a significant margin, and in Santa Clara, if I make the average median household income here, I am only about $2-3,000 shy of it equaling Santa Clara's.

All that without living in an urban maze. However, like you said...preference, some people like booming metro areas.

I guess I am kinda of progressive/liberal oddity (maybe just an independent...who knows these days)... I have a lot of guns & pistols... many are valuable antiques. I've hunted with my dad since I was 9 years years old and grew up eating game. To this day my dad is still an avid sportsman at nearly 80 years old.. I've eaten so much salmon/steelhead in my life it kinda turns my stomach when someone orders it at a restaurant. :)

I still like Elk though but would never turn down a prime piece of beef. My in-laws usually give us half a beef every year as they normally have a 75-100 head.

I used to plink a lot in my younger years but not much these days. I still maintain my CPL (since I was 21) but don't carry on a regular basis. I take a .40 with me when I goto my cabin since law enforcement is 30-60 minutes away.

I don't even thing political labels should apply. They are absurd, as unless you are a lock-stepping Nazi of a person, you are in no way going to tow a party line 100%.

There has been quite a discussion while I was asleep :)

Well, this is an above average expensive car (because if the engine (this is a big engine in DK) and the extra equipment), a normal household would probably buy a car around 30k-45k USD if they were to buy new. I'm 30 years old, don't have any kids, don't plan to have any kids for the next couple of years, my girlfriend is still studying -so until she's finished we are not going to buy a house/get kids - this is probably the best time of my live to buy this expensive car.

This car is more expensive than my current apartment (but I live at the county side, 2 hours commute, the price for living here is really low) - it is 1/3 of the budget if I were to buy a house. But yes I can afford it, otherwise I would not have done it :)

I won't go into the discussion about firearms - this is a US only thing ;-) Tried it once when I was in chicago - didn't went out well haha.

There has been quite a discussion while I was asleep :)

Well, this is an above average expensive car (because if the engine (this is a big engine in DK) and the extra equipment), a normal household would probably buy a car around 30k-45k USD if they were to buy new. I'm 30 years old, don't have any kids, don't plan to have any kids for the next couple of years, my girlfriend is still studying -so until she's finished we are not going to buy a house/get kids - this is probably the best time of my live to buy this expensive car.

This car is more expensive than my current apartment (but I live at the county side, 2 hours commute, the price for living here is really low) - it is 1/3 of the budget if I were to buy a house. But yes I can afford it, otherwise I would not have done it :)

I won't go into the discussion about firearms - this is a US only thing ;-) Tried it once when I was in chicago - didn't went out well haha.

So, out of curiosity, and it's none of my business, but what do you make? Back when I made $90K a year, I drove a C6 Z06 Corvette (MSRP 74K), and an old Infiniti (daily driver, paid off). I currently make about 3x what I owe on my CX-5. To me, that is its place. About 1/3 max of my yearly gross income is the most I could ever see myself spending on a vehicle that offered me this level of "fun" and utility.

Are you really blowing "Z06" money on a compact SUV in the class of the CX-5, or is $82K USD to you, the same as $25K USD, to me, based on income?

So, out of curiosity, and it's none of my business, but what do you make? Back when I made $90K a year, I drove a C6 Z06 Corvette (MSRP 74K), and an old Infiniti (daily driver, paid off). I currently make about 3x what I owe on my CX-5. To me, that is its place. About 1/3 max of my yearly gross income is the most I could ever see myself spending on a vehicle that offered me this level of "fun" and utility.

Are you really blowing "Z06" money on a compact SUV in the class of the CX-5, or is $82K USD to you, the same as $25K USD, to me, based on income?

Before taxes I'm getting ~92kUSD /year, out of this I have to pay ~35k USD of taxes (But this also covers social security, healthcare, paid education (you get "kind of" salary from gov. while you study etc)
So nation wide, I am a little above average salary. But for the area I live in i am almost 2x.

What my colleagues pays more in rent then I do, can actually pay my car by living 2hours from work.

Before taxes I'm getting ~92kUSD /year, out of this I have to pay ~35k USD of taxes (But this also covers social security, healthcare, paid education (you get "kind of" salary from gov. while you study etc)
So nation wide, I am a little above average salary. But for the area I live in i am almost 2x.

What my colleagues pays more in rent then I do, can actually pay my car by living 2hours from work.

What other vehicles are available for that price? I just can't see an econo-SUV with no redeeming qualities aside its reliability/fuel-efficiency as worth a year's salary. That's reserved for things your passionate about, not appliances, IMO. Crazy over there!

Also, as for taxes, when I made $96K one year, I paid $20K-ish in Federal, and around $5K in state taxes, I think. Single White Male, everything against me. Denmark be a crazy expensive place, brother!

Last edited:
Hi, I've just joined after looking for inspiration for a replacement company car (currently have a cx5 2.2 d that's reaching 3 yrs old and has gone over my 60,000 mile threshold - and trying decide between the latest cx5 and a land rover disco sport) - saw your post and staggered by the cost ..... Might be a daft question but I'm guessing you would still be hit with the tax if you went to another EU country to buy your new car ..... Thinking the Nertherlands used to be good for deals?

Also read somewhere above about sunroof option - in UK sunroof only available on the lower spec cars - I would have liked a sunroof but preferred the spec on the sport model and especially the reversing camera.

Hi, I've just joined after looking for inspiration for a replacement company car (currently have a cx5 2.2 d that's reaching 3 yrs old and has gone over my 60,000 mile threshold - and trying decide between the latest cx5 and a land rover disco sport) - saw your post and staggered by the cost ..... Might be a daft question but I'm guessing you would still be hit with the tax if you went to another EU country to buy your new car ..... Thinking the Nertherlands used to be good for deals?

Also read somewhere above about sunroof option - in UK sunroof only available on the lower spec cars - I would have liked a sunroof but preferred the spec on the sport model and especially the reversing camera.

Actually it is generally more expensive to buy a car abroad and import this to Denmark. The reason for this is because the importers of cars in Denmark pays less for the car than other importers (simply to even out some of the difference between our neighbour countries). I would still have to pay the same 180% taxes.

I currently have a Hyundai I30 2.0L, top spec as well. The lower spec versions are very common here in denmark, but because mine is top-spec I am currently looking to export this to eastern europe to get a better price than here at home (The buyer is able to deduct the taxes paid when exporting)

Gasoline is also pretty expensive here, 1.6USD/L (5.92USD/gallon) so people tend to go with cars with low gasoline consumption. And the Hyundai is not one of them, same mpg as the Mazda - but smaller engine)

I hear you my friend, 'death and taxes' and all that. Is your tax more about discouraging car use altogether? I'm still blown away by the cost. A few years ago I did this 'banger rally' where you have to buy a car for less than 250 and drive it through France Belgium Germany Switzerland Italy etc ending up in Prague ..... That seems an absolute luxury when I think of your purchase prices!!

Your petrol price is a little bit less than here actually so know all about expensive fuel. For the last few months here diesel has dropped in price just below petrol, unusually, and is about 1.11 per litre on average (this time last year it was more like 1.32). Plus we pay road tax based on emissions on top of that annually which I think most other countries in the EU don't - it's been an issue for years for the British haulage companies that continental haulage firms have an advantage by filling up on cheaper fuel before coming to the UK ... Anyway that's another topic.

Staying on theme it's the good company car tax rate of the Mazda (which is based on emissions) that is swaying me towards having another one though I really do like the up market interior of the Land Rover - my other choice is a Mitsubishi outlander phev which saves a fortune in tax but there are somethings that are putting me off it both how slow it is and lack of availability of a tester car. Things may change post VW but at the moment diesel over petrol is a no brainier when it comes to many company cars including Mazda.

The government just agreed on the new finance bill and one of the major changes here is actual a drop in the registration tax for cars.
They lowered the tax from 180% to 150% - this means a car that costs 10 in i.e. USA now costs 25 instead of 28 here in Denmark.

This law is applied immediately and since my car has not been delivered yet, means that it will most likely drop 5200 USD in price :)
However my dealer tries to get around this and benefit from it instead of me - which is illegal. But FDM (I think it is called AAA in USA) is helping me on this one.

Back