rpm idle low problem, but only at complete stop !!???

I just ran a bottle of Sea Foam through the PCV and gas tank and checked all my ground wires again. It seems to be running smoother after the Sea Foam.

I checked all the vacuum lines and intake pipe connections with carb cleaner, too. There doesn't seem to be a leak anywhere. I also did the "water mist" test and my plug wires aren't arcing at all.

I had the battery disconnected again, so I'll have to see what happens over the next day or so.

Oh, and my valve cover seemed to be a little loose, so I snugged the bolts down a little (not really tight). Afterwards, my boost spikes at about 8-9, so I turned my MBC down slightly, and now it spikes at 8 and falls to 6. Before it would spike at 7.5 and fall to 7.

So far my idle has been rock solid since late yesterday. I'm not sure if it was the valve cover or the Sea Foam, but I hope it stays like this. Unfortunately it's been cooler today, so my fans don't kick on like they do when it's warm out. After work I'm going to run it hard then let it sit and idle for a while. I'll let you know what happens.

On a side note, that Sea Foam is great stuff! It reduced the valvetrain noise, and everything seems to be smoother.

Spooled said:
thanks for all the info.

That is really wierd that it didn't fix the problem, but of course you may have had more than one leak. I'm going to do some extensive "carb cleaner tests" tonight to see if I can find anything. I still haven't gotten around to replacing al the lines. Does anyone happen to have a list of sizes/lengths needed to replace all the vacuum lines? I don't feel like measuring it all if someone already did.

I was about to try the voltage stabilizer since I read this post the other day, thanks for saving me the money. My idle issues started right after my Hiboost kit went on which was diredtly after new plugs, wires homemade grounding kit and clutch which has made it a year long investigation.

I did find out one thing in my case, when I sit with my a/c on and radio off which pulls alot of juice between 2 fairly large amps and bump the steering wheel Rpms start bouncing around from around 500-1500 then settles back down after about a minute or so. I tried disconnecting the pressure sensor on the front of the power steering pump and the bouncing turned into a slight drop of about 200 rpms which is normal.

At the same time I noticed when I pull one of my vacuum lines off I would hear a vacuum leak around the throttle body (not the purge solenoid screw leak). With the power steering pressure switch disconnected the vacuum leak sound was gone. How could they be related, I'm not leaking any fluid and am still baffled!!

Back