rpm idle low problem, but only at complete stop !!???

PJTSpeed said:
How many miles do you have? Have you changed the spark plugs recently? Spark plugs at the end of their life will cause the idling problems, particularly on four cylinder engines.

Around 14000 miles !!! I also noticed a tickling on my engine when he's on, but I dont know what it is (dunno) !?? Dealer says it is normal and I know Proteg are known to tickle a little more than others car, but Im sure the tickling is louder than when I bought the car !!!

Wingman21 said:
Around 14000 miles !!! I also noticed a tickling on my engine when he's on, but I dont know what it is (dunno) !?? Dealer says it is normal and I know Proteg are known to tickle a little more than others car, but Im sure the tickling is louder than when I bought the car !!!

Does your car giggle when it gets tickled?

jurgs01 said:
Does your car giggle when it gets tickled?

What do you mean by giggle ? You mean like a ruff idle !? If so, yes the idle is a little ruffer, but I think its because of the lower RPM !!!

Wingman21 said:
What do you mean by giggle ? You mean like a ruff idle !? If so, yes the idle is a little ruffer, but I think its because of the lower RPM !!!

I was joshing you man. You kept adding a l to ticked.

Edit: unless you actually meant tickling.

Wingman21 said:
couldn't be a typo, he wrote it three times

nate0123 said:
couldn't be a typo, he wrote it three times

Lol, sorry I used the wrong word (french boy (sssh) ) !!! What I meant is my motor does a kind of metalic sound, but kind remember the right word (huh) !!!

I would make sure your manifold is on tight. That happened to me when I installed my MAM manifold. I can't see the S-pipe coming loose from the turbo.

my car idles low everytime the bpv comes loose from the intake pipe, might wanna check that if you havent yet...

Wiggles422 said:
my car idles low everytime the bpv comes loose from the intake pipe, might wanna check that if you havent yet...

Ill do that, but that doesnt explain the ticked sound (dunno) !!!
Ill try to check my manifold when I get a second, but Dealer said they checked the bolt on it last time and everytime was all right (huh) !!!? But I know my car is louder than before... damn Ticking, its driving me crazy(flame) !!!

bump for update. So wierd that we have the same issue and I also have had the metal sound as well. It sounds likea cricket and if I push the gas and hold the idle at a 1000 rpm's it will go away most of the time, but not always...

I started getting the cricket sound while totally stock and didn't get the idle problem until after I installed the EBC/Boost Gauge...

I have a theory on the idle issue. I've had the problem for a while and I think it might have something to do with the electrical system. This is why:

The car only does it when I'm sitting in traffic after the car is warmed up. I've also noticed that it seems to be tied to when the radiator fans come on, which is why it waits until the car has stopped moving (there is no air pushing past the radiator, the coolant temp goes up, so the fans kick on). The radiator fans kicking on also seems to affect everything electrical in my car. Also, when you are sitting there idling a lot, the alternator isn't giving as much charge. Maybe the draw from the fans temporarily drops the voltage going to the IACV and/or the coil packs enough to cause poor combustion. So the ECU sees the RPM's drop and compensates with more/less fuel.

It's just an idea, and I'll find out soon enough. I bought a voltage stabilizer and will be getting an Optima redtop. If that doesn't take care of it, then we can rule that out.

apocman said:
bump for update. So wierd that we have the same issue and I also have had the metal sound as well. It sounds likea cricket and if I push the gas and hold the idle at a 1000 rpm's it will go away most of the time, but not always...

I started getting the cricket sound while totally stock and didn't get the idle problem until after I installed the EBC/Boost Gauge...

I think I know the cricket sound you are talking about. I get it at 3000rpm. I think it has something to do with the rear motor mount getting broken down and causing something to vibrate. Do you have just a front motor mount, and do you have a short shifter? I think that my "cricket" might be the exhaust heat shield vibrating against the exhaust because it was moved closer after installing my TWM shifter.

Spooled said:
I have a theory on the idle issue. I've had the problem for a while and I think it might have something to do with the electrical system. This is why:

The car only does it when I'm sitting in traffic after the car is warmed up. I've also noticed that it seems to be tied to when the radiator fans come on, which is why it waits until the car has stopped moving (there is no air pushing past the radiator, the coolant temp goes up, so the fans kick on). The radiator fans kicking on also seems to affect everything electrical in my car. Also, when you are sitting there idling a lot, the alternator isn't giving as much charge. Maybe the draw from the fans temporarily drops the voltage going to the IACV and/or the coil packs enough to cause poor combustion. So the ECU sees the RPM's drop and compensates with more/less fuel.

It's just an idea, and I'll find out soon enough. I bought a voltage stabilizer and will be getting an Optima redtop. If that doesn't take care of it, then we can rule that out.

Damn that sounds so intelligent. For all those posting about boost controllers being the reason or whatever I would probably have to disagree cuz I get the same problem from time to time and I have a N/A MP3 not a MSP. So I don't think its a boost related issue.

I could see this as the possible issue. I was kind of wndering that myself. I wonder if the wire I have my boost controller tied into is causing some kind of a problem. I will be installing a massive grounding kit and will buy the optima battery and see if this helps. also could somebody with an MSP provide a picture of what wires we can use to splice into for power to our devices?

MP3Architect said:
Damn that sounds so intelligent. For all those posting about boost controllers being the reason or whatever I would probably have to disagree cuz I get the same problem from time to time and I have a N/A MP3 not a MSP. So I don't think its a boost related issue.

Well, how about idling high? My car idles at 2,000rpm. when the overnight temperature drops below ~45F: 2,500rpm... its disgusting....

Latest posts

Back