Rotary in a P5

mitaccio

I was talking about the rotary engines with a friend the other day and how I had seen a Corolla that they had put a rotary in. My question is this...has anyone done this for a P5? I was thinking of getting a 13B to put in. 13B is the smallest one right? Just thought that it might be cool to have a rotary P5.

Not worth it unless you have money laying around that you just want to get rid of.

igdrasil said:
12A is the smallest but both are smaller than our 4cyl beast.

actually a 10A is even smaller but bothering with either in a p5 (converting from fuel injection to carburetion :( ) would not be worth it

i have oft heard rumors of a 13B RWD protege5. like has been said, anything is possible with money. I have seen pictures of a protege5 powered by a tricked out GLC motor and one powered by a BP-T 1.8 liter as well.

Man, by the time you spend all the money on the motor, the install, the mods that would be required, the troubleshoot... you still end up with...a Rotary on a P5. Cool, I guess.

Why not just spend a little more and get a RX-8??? Don't get me wrong, I love my P5, but that's just a dumb idea I think, or maybe I am missing the whole of point of "modding."

It's easy:

1) Buy Protege5
2) Buy subsequent rotary engine
3) Take money, throw into steel drum full of gasoline
4) Throw match into drum
5) Cry
6) Sell Protege5
7) Sell unused rotary engine
8) Buy self RX-8
9) Cry more over burned money.

jersey_emt said:
Anything is possible with enough money. Hell, people have put the SVT Cobra drivetrain into a Focus.

RWD Ford Focus

1796-3.jpg

Note the meatball in the rear? yup, that's a rear diff

1796-6.jpg

mitaccio said:
I was talking about the rotary engines with a friend the other day and how I had seen a Corolla that they had put a rotary in. My question is this...has anyone done this for a P5? I was thinking of getting a 13B to put in. 13B is the smallest one right? Just thought that it might be cool to have a rotary P5.

there's a video clip of a bunch of japanese guys and they're checking out the 3 rotor corolla, then they're following it on the highway, and it takes off, and they try to catch it and they just start screaming, it's the weirdest clip ever. (screwy)

NO!!!! to convert a p5 to have a 13B you would most likely need to convert it to rear drive. I don't think you have an idea of how much what you're thinking would cost.

The corolla they were talking about is the AE86 which is rear drive to begin with. not the current front drive corolla.

The reason people are able to make a focus rear drive is because it has a rear driveshaft tunnel for the WRC cars.

you would get much more power out of a turbo for the p5. or if you wanna be different you can get a supercharger instead.

That RWD Focus is possible because of:

1) Ford backing it up - it's a complete Ford sponsored project.
2) The base is a Focus RS. If he wanted a rotary in a Protege5 (or BJ chassis), it'd be best to go oversease and import an AWD FS-ZE Familia/Sport20 to work with.

I can't imagine the reliability being that great either.

So you folks know, the FWD Protege shares the chassis with the AWD one, so the 'tunnel' is still there. The gas tank is different, and the exhaust is routed different, as in the FWD version it's routed basically where the driveshaft goes to the rear. But it's still not a cheap project. Heh.

It could be done with a lot of money and a lot of headaches. Unless you have cash laying around to deal with all of the major and minor problems your going to run into constantly it doesnt sound like a good idea.

Well, you'd have to be specific about which 626 transmission. Since the first 626's were RWD, and the last had the same tranny as ours, the G15M-R or the G25M-R, depending on if they were from the KL engine or the FS engine.

Back