Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar Installation Help

:
2012 Mazda 5
I recently received a Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar as a gift. It is for the 2010+ M3. I thought it would be an easy swap but when i was just about to bolt it up i realized that it the mounting brackets were about 1 inch too wide. Since it was a gift, i kinda want to make it work. I know that I will have to remove the factory style stoppers. But after that I am unsure. Here are my questions...

1. Are the stoppers really necessary? Racing Beats instructions mention that they ground away and enlarged the hole of the outboard of each bushing. I suspect that it was too close to the bend and interfering with rotation. I was thinking that if I need to move mounts closer by 1 inch I should not have that interference problem and if I flip the bushing over so that he enlarged hole is in the inboard then the bends of the bar should keep it from moving too much. Right?

2. If i do need to replace the stoppers, how to best go about doing this? Where would I find something similar to the stopper tripoint uses? Could I use a split ring pipe clamp?

Thanks for reading!

Sorry I can't help. Is it possible to give Racing Beat a call and ask them?

Their Tech Line is 714-779-8678.

Update

To follow up...
I installed the bar. As a temp fix, I moved the original stopper using a dremel to cut the band clamp and secured it in the new location using a worm gear type clamp. So far it seems to be holding up.

web.jpg

The permanent fix will be finished this weekend using 27mm ID shaft collars I found at grainger. :)
web.jpg

Update 2

Installed the aluminum shaft collars a few days ago... It was a perfect fit. I don't think there will be any lateral movement from now on.:) I really like the way the 5 handles with the larger rear sway. There is no change in ride quality unless driving on uneven bumpy roads. Unfortunately, that's every road here in Hawaii.

web.jpg

that's pretty cool! Do you plan on auto-x ing the 5?

I just put a Addco sway bar on the rear of my '86 CRX Si. It doesn't have any 'stopper' to keep it located, but I just checked underneath after about 400 miles of driving and doesn't seem to have moved at all.
This significantly improves the cornering speed and confidence in the CRX, without much if any noticeable trade-off in ride quality.

I haven't pushed the 5 hard enough yet to want more roll stiffness on that yet lol

What other mods do you have planned?

Attachments

• CRX addco 3.jpg
    CRX addco 3.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 122
Back