Mazda5 (Gen2) Aftermarket Sway Bar Options/Fitment?

I have a '12 Mz5 6MT which is due for a suspension refresh (struts, strut mounts, tie rods, and whatever else looks worn) and I was wondering if an aftermarket Mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar would fit using stock mz5 end links. I have seen other forum posts asking similar questions, however, none that I found offered a decisive yes or no. So:

- Will an aftermarket Ms3 rear bar (like Corksport or Whiteline) bolt to a 5 without any modifications (Can anyone 100% confirm that it works/does not work?)

- Given that Ms3 end links are different from both the 3 and 5, will stock 5 end links fit both holes on an adjustable speed3 bar?

- Given the first two are true, has anyone had any positive or negative experiences/tips they could offer regarding the installation process and/or potential problems after the install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going to swap in the sway bar, you would need to use beefier end link as well. I got the OEM Mazdaspeed sway bar on my car. I tried different styles of end links and ended up with OEM-like links by AC Delco. The MOOG ones look beefier, but the installation process for MOOG is not as easy as OEM style links.

Most likely, the aftermarket swaybars will be much stiffer than OEM Mazdaspeed swaybar, This kind of change will definitely need a proper end link. Our car is notorious for producing all sorts of noises and clanks from the suspension as is. Therefore, treat any modification with a buffer, for just in case.

Upvote 0
RSB: you need MS3 spec end links b/c 1) the hole on the MS3 bar is wider. IIRC, one person shimmed it to fit. Not sure how well it worked long term but in theory it should be good. Also, the MS3 end links has a slightly shorter solid shaft b/c the MS3 rides lower. You'll also need wider bushings.

FSB: IIRC, the front bar does not have a wider hole on the bar and can reuse Mz5 f. links. If you are lower, you'll prob want MS3 f. links b/c they are shorter b/c MS3 rides lower. You'll also need wider bushings and drop f. subframe to install.

TL;DR: All Mz5 and MS3 FSB and RSB are interchangeable b/c they are all based on the same fundamental chassis. Since they are interchangeable, it doesn't matter what aftermarket brand you want to use.

Upvote 0
I swapped in the beefier Mz3 rear swaybar in on the Mz5. I wonder how much beefier the Ms3 is to the Mz3? I noticed no difference in mounting.

Upvote 0
RSB: you need MS3 spec end links b/c 1) the hole on the MS3 bar is wider. IIRC, one person shimmed it to fit. Not sure how well it worked long term but in theory it should be good. Also, the MS3 end links has a slightly shorter solid shaft b/c the MS3 rides lower. You'll also need wider bushings.

FSB: IIRC, the front bar does not have a wider hole on the bar and can reuse Mz5 f. links. If you are lower, you'll prob want MS3 f. links b/c they are shorter b/c MS3 rides lower. You'll also need wider bushings and drop f. subframe to install.

TL;DR: All Mz5 and MS3 FSB and RSB are interchangeable b/c they are all based on the same fundamental chassis. Since they are interchangeable, it doesn't matter what aftermarket brand you want to use.
Thanks for the info. To clarify, do the rear MS3 links need to be shimmed to fit the mount on the suspension arm itself, or is it an incompatibility with the bar?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. To clarify, do the rear MS3 links need to be shimmed to fit the mount on the suspension arm itself, or is it an incompatibility with the bar?
The MS3 end link will fit into the Mz5 suspension arm as is, no mod needed.

You can use the Mz5 end link with the MS3 RSB IF you shim it to fit. Technically, the MS3 end link sits a bit short for the stock heigh of the Mz5.

This brought back memories... The concept is the same for front or rear sway/stay bar.

Upvote 0
Which bar did you use? Did you run stock end links? Were there any problems with installation?

Same end links. It's a direct swap. This is for the rear sway bar. I didn't do the front.
I saw a thread somewhere on it and I just got it from Mazda. Don't have the part number handy.

Upvote 0
Same end links. It's a direct swap. This is for the rear sway bar. I didn't do the front.
I saw a thread somewhere on it and I just got it from Mazda. Don't have the part number handy.
Okay, good to know. Are the MS3 links shorter than the 3/5 links? If so, does it cause problems/creaks/binding with the angle that the RSB is mounted at?

Upvote 0

Given that the MS3 and most MZ3 rear bars have the 12mm hole - Are there any aftermarket MZ3 bars that use the OEM 10mm hole? Since I drive across the country twice yearly, I'd really rather not shim anything if I can help it.

Upvote 0
Okay, good to know. Are the MS3 links shorter than the 3/5 links? If so, does it cause problems/creaks/binding with the angle that the RSB is mounted at?

No idea. I only have a Mazda 5 and Mazda 3 and just used a rear sway bar from the Mazda 3 to the Mazda 5. End links on the Mazda 3 and 5 look the same. No idea on the Mazda Speed

Upvote 0
Back