proper turbo tuning.

usman

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
hey guys, im fairly unfamiliar with this car for the most part, i just got it a week ago, and im lookin to do some turbo mangement type stuff.. what should i do, or rather in what order? here is my outlne that intend for it..

this week -HKS turbo timer
next week - Downpipe
week #3- HKS boost controller.
week #4 - HKS BOV
---
thats my plan right now for the car, each week a new part..

but here is the question, the exhaust this car has, do i need to upgrade it further? I think its pretty good, is this true or is it BS and I need to get a new full system?

I want to get my car up to the 250 range, would love the 300.. but i honestly dont see that happening without MAJOR work.

As time passes, I want to get a new intercooler as well.

what do you guys think.. please share your thoughts with me..

thanks,
usman

Mental Addiction front mount. Comes with short ram intake, better BPV, HKS SSQV (if you want it,) new radiator fans, powdercoated piping, and a nicely sized garrett bar and plate core. If you want 250ish, you are going to need a FMIC and intake for sure.

You will also want to look into some EMS, the MPI tuner or Haltech are the most popular here right now, DSMconvert also has a air fuel controller that has a good following. You can also use the greddy emanage.

You want to get rid of the cat section when you do your downpipe, just go with a full 2.5" or bigger from the turbo all the way back.

Well, the Turbo timer is always a good idea. It isnt a performance mod, but rather an insurance/good maintenance mod. After that, the downpipe would be a good step, freeing up the backpressure on the exhaust. The boost controller will also give you easy power gains, but do be careful. boost spike from MBC's have been known to cause early entry into the zoom zoom boom club. I recommend getting a good quality guage to monitor how well you are actually controlling boost along with the controller. regarding the BOV, i mean it sounds cool, and it does reduce wear and tear to the turbo, but it can be a PITA to install/recirculate. This also isnt really a performance mod either. MY $0.02 is Turbo timer, DP, boost guage (and others while youre at it), boost controller, and then BOV...

EDIT: FMIC is a great mod too... and MAM is def. top notch from what i've heard!

usman said:
hey guys, im fairly unfamiliar with this car for the most part, i just got it a week ago, and im lookin to do some turbo mangement type stuff.. what should i do, or rather in what order? here is my outlne that intend for it..

this week -HKS turbo timer
next week - Downpipe
week #3- HKS boost controller.
week #4 - HKS BOV
---
thats my plan right now for the car, each week a new part..

but here is the question, the exhaust this car has, do i need to upgrade it further? I think its pretty good, is this true or is it BS and I need to get a new full system?

I want to get my car up to the 250 range, would love the 300.. but i honestly dont see that happening without MAJOR work.

As time passes, I want to get a new intercooler as well.

what do you guys think.. please share your thoughts with me..

thanks,
usman

Last edited:
505zoom said:
You want to get rid of the cat section when you do your downpipe, just go with a full 2.5" or bigger from the turbo all the way back.

so you are saying i should go with a full system?

yesiownaskyline said:
Well, the Turbo timer is always a good idea. It isnt a performance mod, but rather an insurance/good maintenance mod. After that, the downpipe would be a good step, freeing up the backpressure on the exhaust. The boost controller will also give you easy power gains, but do be careful. boost spike from MBC's have been known to cause early entry into the zoom zoom boom club. I recommend getting a good quality guage to monitor how well you are actually controlling boost along with the controller. regarding the BOV, i mean it sounds cool, and it does reduce wear and tear to the turbo, but it can be a PITA to install/recirculate. This also isnt really a performance mod either. MY $0.02 is Turbo timer, DP, boost guage (and others while youre at it), boost controller, and then BOV...

EDIT: FMIC is a great mod too... and MAM is def. top notch from what i've heard!

awesome, im gonna look into MAM seriously for the msp then, I know rx7s pretty well.. ive been thru 2 3rd gens.. peter ferrell did all the work on those batties

usman said:
so you are saying i should go with a full system?

A full system would be a smart idea for your goals. With any turbo (as you know i am sure) less backpressure/restriction= more power in most cases. I believe the exhausts that yeild the most gains on here (about 20 whp) are either 3" all the way back or 2.5" increasing to 3" after the midpipe. 2.5" back would also be a good upgrade too though...

just my $0.02.

im gonna order the FMIC from MAM, 1500 not bad at all.. w/ the timer ill have at the end of this week, and the BOV that it comes with, and the downpipe, it should be crusing.. and then look into further stuff once i complete this.

I just want my car to be really streetable w/ the occasional track day..

usman said:
im gonna order the FMIC from MAM, 1500 not bad at all.. w/ the timer ill have at the end of this week, and the BOV that it comes with, and the downpipe, it should be crusing.. and then look into further stuff once i complete this.

I just want my car to be really streetable w/ the occasional track day..

You would be very happy with that setup. Let me know if I can help you with your order or install at all, I am more than happy to help out.

If you decide to get a boost controller, check out boostsciences. I have been running their accuboost controller on my msp for about a year and a half now, and it is very nice. Max spike that I see with my ceramic ball upgraded controllers is between 1 and 1.5psi depending on gear, and I can adjust from just above stock all the way up to 20psi with it. Definitely saves some money compared to the electronic controllers.

505zoom said:
You would be very happy with that setup. Let me know if I can help you with your order or install at all, I am more than happy to help out.

If you decide to get a boost controller, check out boostsciences. I have been running their accuboost controller on my msp for about a year and a half now, and it is very nice. Max spike that I see with my ceramic ball upgraded controllers is between 1 and 1.5psi depending on gear, and I can adjust from just above stock all the way up to 20psi with it. Definitely saves some money compared to the electronic controllers.

Sorry for the threadjack, but 505zoom: Do you know if spike is still encountered with an EBC? I have heard some that say yes and some no. Just curious. thx in advance

EDIT: Yes you would be VERY happy with this setup. It's one of the pricier FMIC kits, but definitely includes more than the rest as far as other complimentary mods.

yesiownaskyline said:
Sorry for the threadjack, but 505zoom: Do you know if spike is still encountered with an EBC? I have heard some that say yes and some no. Just curious. thx in advance

EDIT: Yes you would be VERY happy with this setup. It's one of the pricier FMIC kits, but definitely includes more than the rest as far as other complimentary mods.

Well, spike CAN be tuned out with an EBC, but first you need to understand exactly why the spike is happening. When you use a ball and spring style MBC, you can tune the spring setting (among other things) to get enhanced spool up. The way you get the enhanced spool up is by keeping the wastegate from seeeing ANY pressure until you hit your desired boost level. At that point, the controller pops open and your wastegate sees all the pressure at once and opens. This creates a tradeoff between spool up and spike. If you get it just right, then there will be minimal spike and your turbo will spool faster than stock, but if it is even just a little too stiff then you will get even quicker spool with a larger spike.

If I really wanted to, I could have a controller built at boostsciences that would have absolutely zero spike, but would not have any spool up benefits at all. I would never do this for myself though. I personally feel that a 1-2psi spike is perfect... it isn't enough to push your motor to the breaking point by itself, and it really makes the turbo spool up a lot faster.

FYI: I have the HKS EBC and do not get spike.

usman, yes I would get a full exhaust system.... might as well do it all. a 2.5 would be ok, but there are some nice 3" turbo-backs out there. MSP's have a little 's' and 'j' pipe right off the turbo, which are restrictive. Most downpipes bolt right to these.... but the best setup would replace them. The turbo-back exhausts on this forum replace those restrictions and take you all the way back.

The MAM FMIC looks really nice, and the price is good because you get so much with it. The kit comes with a BPV (bypass valve). I am sure they can get a BOV flange on there for you, and get you a deal on a BOV. I own the BPV that comes with that kit, and it works really well. I would recirculate the air with a BPV, or at least some of it. 505zoom and myself (and many others) use both a BPV and a BOV. Some of the air gets recirculated, while some of it blows off. This gets rid of the 'turkey', and the car runs good (at least mine does) without stalling.

Get a boost gauge. I forget if you said you had one or not... but get one.
#1 - boost gauge
#2 - turbo-back
#3 - boost controller or turbo timer or get both... yea thats better
#4 - MAM FMIC kit
#5 - EMS (MPI or DSMConvert AFC are popular for the MSP)

The MSP ECU sucks so you will want EMS (engine management system) sooner than later to get the most out of your ride, and better fuel economy too (I think).

You will be very happy with those mods, and a little broke. Use the search funciton on this forum and you will find just about anything you want. Dont give up, trust me, it has been discussed here. Enjoy your MSP.

Last edited:
personally i'd go turbo-back before boost controller, without that air freed up you aren't going to see as much gains

yea I agree actually.... why up boost on stock exhaust!? I edited the list.

word, so yeah im gonna do the exuhaust, gauage and (timer which ive already got comin). then the FMIC and then the engine management.

i appreciate everyone's input greatly. Its helping me learn a lot about this car.

sounds like a good plan. since our engines aren't the strongest in the world you may want to consider some new rods and pistons... MAM is making some new, amazing looking ones. Its not the most important thing in the world but once you start upping the boost it should be a consideration.

CChris704 said:
sounds like a good plan. since our engines aren't the strongest in the world you may want to consider some new rods and pistons... MAM is making some new, amazing looking ones. Its not the most important thing in the world but once you start upping the boost it should be a consideration.
completely agree. when I get that deep I def will be lookin to rebuilding the motor, startin on turbo and then if its not enough....rebuild

I have an upgraded intercooler, 3" turboback exhaust and EMS (mpi Tuner) and its a great combo, you will enjoy the setup your heading towards. Exhaust first, it makes a big difference. The car is a blast to drive now (although im still tuning it). Im only at 7psi (stock + intercooler gives a 1 psi gain) and its plenty for now (im paranoid about blowing up the car lol)

terbow said:
I have an upgraded intercooler, 3" turboback exhaust and EMS (mpi Tuner) and its a great combo, you will enjoy the setup your heading towards. Exhaust first, it makes a big difference. The car is a blast to drive now (although im still tuning it). Im only at 7psi (stock + intercooler gives a 1 psi gain) and its plenty for now (im paranoid about blowing up the car lol)
Yeah, this guys has the right attitude, but as for me, ten psi with all these mods and then some makes the car a beast!!!

Back