Powdercoated stock rims on Silver, chop'd

Here ya go clos, true red with gunmetal

EC, they're just painted stock calipers

Last edited:
SSMS3 said:
Gentlemen, black mica with gunmetal stock wheels as requested(burnout)
jjbird, thanks for the image

s*** that looks nice......I very much approve of you borrowing that pic lol.

PS -- I ran a errand yesterday in Virginia, might have a little surprise for all of you coming up the end of this week (sssh)

Interesting and HOT! I was just telling myself if they only came gunmetal. The black looks great but I prefer the gunmetal. Only thing I would do is maybe go a shade or two lighter on the gunmetal. I'm either going to install the Mazdaspeed/Rays wheels or powdercoat mine. I guess it's time to check on pricing and where I can get mine coated.

I think $80 per wheel is what I paid for a set I had done a few years ago.

DSC00975.JPG

there's a guy local to me that does it in his garage. This was several years ago so I am not sure he's still in the biz. The finish was a semi gloss and it was TOUGHER than nails. For serious. I let just about any monkey spoon tires no those wheels after the coating.

Starting this post voided 3 warranties!

Yeah, your wheel warranty...which doesn't exist. (spank)

If you had a wheel come apart after having them powder coated I seriously doubt Mazda would replace or repair anything as a result.

Other than that can't see how Mazda could void any part of your warranty

SSMS3 said:
If you had a wheel come apart after having them powder coated I seriously doubt Mazda would replace or repair anything as a result.

Other than that can't see how Mazda could void any part of your warranty

Being you are modifying the wheel from it's original state, you can kiss any warranty on your wheels bye bye. Considering the powdercoating process, I would almost 99.9% bet they would say, even though your wheel bent in a pot-hole or whatever, the powercoating weakend the wheel in the heating process...bla bla bla... therefore to bad so sad. Just know if you powdercoat your wheels, you will most likely buy a new wheel if anything goes wrong.

SwampAss said:
just make sure you use low temp powdercoating. The high temp powder coating was known to fatique cast alloys. I've not heard of the low temp stuff having much of an affect.

I've only seen 400* pc. What temp does the low-temp flow at? Is it as strong or is that the compromise?

For those interested, Eastwood Tools has a basic pc setup for $125. Instead of paying someone else big bucks to do it, why not get the gun and DIY's? The kit comes w/some basic colors, and you could always buy more specific powders for the job?
20 mins in your oven @ 400* (or as soon as it flows out) and you're done!

TGM3 said:
Heres mine with custom painted RX-8 wheels. Should give you a idea of what it will look like....
pic0056qw5.jpg

I dont have the rx-8 wheels on mine but this gave me a good idea of what mine would look like black and i plan on doing this,this summer before july 4th.
I am going with the black on my tit grey mz3...so then ill be zoomin!(yes)

elderlycoffee said:
Any of you know if this would void some type of warranty?

yes the powder adds additional weight to the wheels and voids all warranty (braindead

bbrich57 said:
I've only seen 400* pc. What temp does the low-temp flow at? Is it as strong or is that the compromise?

For those interested, Eastwood Tools has a basic pc setup for $125. Instead of paying someone else big bucks to do it, why not get the gun and DIY's? The kit comes w/some basic colors, and you could always buy more specific powders for the job?
20 mins in your oven @ 400* (or as soon as it flows out) and you're done!

You can really do it in your own oven?

Back