Powdercoated stock rims on Silver, chop'd

SSMS3

:
'13 CWP
Gunmetal and black. Black looks good and really changes the cars attitude

Last edited:
First thing I thought of when I saw it was a Hotwheels/Matchbox car.

I like it, and like the attitude change it gives. It would look good on other colors as well.

Keep Zooming!

i like the gunmetal look a lil better than the black, but still bad ass! how much does powder coating the original rims do you know?

The problem I'm seeing with generally powdercoating rims is that they weaken the life of the rims itself. Any way to prevent that and still powdercoat 'em?

Sorry for the offtopic.

I've read that some wheels have come apart after coating as well. These guys were road racers and autocrossers and they all thought it was due to the heat distressing the metal. All instances I've read about were on aftermarket wheels.

HOWEVER, many oem rims are clear powder coated and I've never heard of them breaking? Wonder if our MS3 rims are clear PC'd?

Heres mine with custom painted RX-8 wheels. Should give you a idea of what it will look like....
pic0056qw5.jpg

just make sure you use low temp powdercoating. The high temp powder coating was known to fatique cast alloys. I've not heard of the low temp stuff having much of an affect.

clos561 said:
did u lower ur car?

Yes, but 'electronically' lol

TGM3, RX8 wheels look really good on our cars and good in the darker gray

SwampAss, good to know there is a low temp process

My buddy got his MS6 wheels done in Gunmetal for $80 CDN/wheel. They look awesome in person. Mazda should have done the MS6 and MS3 wheels in Gunmetal instead of the flat silver to begin with.

SSMS3 said:
Yes, but 'electronically' lol

TGM3, RX8 wheels look really good on our cars and good in the darker gray

SwampAss, good to know there is a low temp process
what do u mean electronically?

Back