Poll: Would you buy another Mazda product?

Would you buy another Mazda product?

• Total voters
:
2008 Mazda5 GT
There seem to be more issues popping up lately as the car is aging. I had this question on Mazdas desirability pop in my head so figure I poll the masses here. Note this may be bias since people look to online forums to 1) mod their car, which not many here do as this is a family car and the cricket of activity or 2) complain/diagnose/fix an issue. You never see happy owners willingly go online to give praise. That said, how does our own frugal group of Mazda 5 (again, bias as it is the econo equivalent in the segment) owners feel about Mazda products? Yes, I am using one model to gauge the overall impression of a company people do that. Does the Mazda5 experience give you favorable or unfavorable impression of Mazda? Share your thought. Everyones entitled to their opinion so any answer is a winner!

I think the question would be "Would you consider buying another Mazda product?". I wouldn't definitely buy a Mazda no matter what, but I would still strongly consider one so long as they have a product that I need with the specs I want. I've been a happy owner so far. The joy I get from driving my 5 has outweighed any potential additional repairs I might have to do with it... potential because a hair over 160k km/100k miles so far and all I've had to replace are rear shocks and a thermostat, that's pretty awesome.

Anyway my vote is a yes, definitely anyway lol but with the conditions I've stated above.

I would buy another Mazda if the need arose. I'm happy with my mz3, wife and daughter both like their mz5's. Dependable, get you where you want to go in reasonable comfort and economically, practical for our situation(s). The 5's are used to haul the 2 yr old grandson around with the necessary room for the related baby stuff. The 3, it would work hauling the 2 yr old, but much more effort getting him in/out of the car seat. I don't care for the styling of the newer 3's and 5's, so would stay with used in 2010's or earlier if in good shape but don't see a need as all of ours have low miles. My 05 3 has 62K and still in good mechanical shape with the 5's at 50K and 40K.

Well considering that this is my second used Mazda5 I would have to say that yes I would definitely buy another one. They are definitely not flawless an some aspects do feel a bit cheaper then some of my Hondas I've owned in the past, but the fun factor the uniqueness and the money for the utility of our Mazda5s not to mention the zoom zoom factor totally out weight some of the irritating issues. I also own a CX-9 and the same goes for it. Although the CX-9 is definitely much more solid and buttoned down then my Mazda5.

I would, but:

1) I think Mazda has ruined the look of the 5 both inside and outwits the current generation
2) I'm looking for either AWD or a proper 4x4 for where I've moved to...lots of snow in the winter

Other than that, I think the quality and durability is pretty darn good, better than anything I've driven from the big 3... And miles better than the Honda civic I had!!

The main thing that attracts me to Mazda is their price point.

I’m not sold on pre-Ford Mazda quality. IMO, it is lower compared to avg Japanese quality. For me, having no major issues up to 100K should be a norm, not an exception. Even the cheapest cars today can easily go pass 100K without major powetrain issues especially with all these rating/online/publication agencies ready to shoot you down and can burn rather quickly. All entry level cars will have some minor quirks that you have to live with.

My biggest gripe is material and ride quality, but I guess this is expected out of an affordable yet well handling car; there’s gotta be some trade off as you cannot buy everything for a buck. Now I better understanding why Mazda is referred to as the poor man’s BMW. But reading about the Sky principles and upcoming CX5, I am looking forward to the post-Ford Mazda (yes there’s still some sharing but in time).

I am very surprised to see no one voted ‘NO’! But then again, these people may have already sold the car and moved on. I wonder, how many original ’06-’07 owner are out there?

So far I'm really happy with my used Mazda5 apart form needing to replace my suspension system (shocks, springs, really going to get a coilover kit, and RSB). But saying that, I hate the look of the new Mazda's, only one I'm OK with is the Mazda2.

Gas prices go up... & this 6 seater becomes more of a bargain every day, since, you know, gas prices climb EVERY DAY!!
I wasn't in the 5 (I was in the 2.3T Volvo 5MT (MAN the 5 needs a turbo)) when I got stuck behind a 'Burb going 8 mph BELOW the 40 mph speed limit. Finally the string of vehicles in the other lane (led by a Corolla going 33 mph, of course) cleared up some & I could pass & I got the finger for being on the close-side of the 2-sec rule. So when I had to slow to turn left, I greeted his approach with "maybe you need a smaller engine!" 99% of the time, I can use the 5 for what 99% of SUV owners use their vehicles for. And for those times I can't, I have a 6-seat truck.

I agree with you on that. The new Mazda5, from whatever angle you look at it, is straight up strange and ugly in a way that is hard to describe. And it also looks like a bodyshop nightmare. Forget about bondo work, because I don't see how it could be done, especially on the door panels. Every door ding is calling for missing paint. I own a 2010 MZ5, bought brand new, now it has 16000 miles. I am beginning to hear squiking and rattling but I guess I can live with it. And it started fishtailing on uneven road when going into a curve, it might be the crappy factory tires. I don't know. I had to break up with one dealership because their service dept. were liars and thiefs. Now I go to another one 8 miles farther. That's OK...

I would, but:

1) I think Mazda has ruined the look of the 5 both inside and outwits the current generation
2) I'm looking for either AWD or a proper 4x4 for where I've moved to...lots of snow in the winter

Other than that, I think the quality and durability is pretty darn good, better than anything I've driven from the big 3... And miles better than the Honda civic I had!!

Well, well, well...if I must so politely...

Waiting for markuszoom5 to chime in... :)

I have cooled down over the next few months. I have found another dealership (don't trust them either) but I have to say that after machining the rotors it has been OK so far. I mean now there is more and more noises and rattles coming from the rear end and also fishtailing when going into a curve over uneven road, but I think it's the tires. In a few months when I reach 20000 miles I will replace the cabin air filter and the air filter. Oh, I forgot about the $20 rear wiper I installed (bought from Mazda dealership, the crappy one). $20 you got to be kidding. But it is OEM, fits perfectly. Old one looked like a untied shoelace after 1.5 years. How sad. I traded in a high-maintenance Jetta for it and got heck of a deal. I will keep it. My wife's 5 year old Civic is still the highlight of perfection. Everything works on it 100%. Only changed oil and one set of tires. She might trade it in for a Volvo S60. They give you free maintenance and wear-and-tear warranty for 5 years/60000. You can't beat that with any car. The car has friggin' nozzles coming out of the bumper to wash the headlights. Now that i amazing. I will keep the MZ5 so we can haul random crap in it. I like driving the MZ5. I just crank the music up to drown out the random noises.

Concerned about future Mazdas as thier global footprint is too tiny to survive alone, too concentrated on Japanese production and further cost cutting will continue to further erode thier quality (in addition to transferring NA production to Mexico).

Concerned about future Mazdas as thier global footprint is too tiny to survive alone, too concentrated on Japanese production and further cost cutting will continue to further erode thier quality (in addition to transferring NA production to Mexico).
I never though about what they are doing with manufacturing now their Ford joint venture is mostly over and no longer share manufacturing facilities. If they are moving all manufacturing to Mexico, they will be on the bottom of my short list of considerations. You can transfer knowledge and equipment but work culture and attention to detail does not go along as easily –maybe in time but not yet. A big reason why I went with the Mazda5 is due it being Mazda in Japan.

Agreed, $1.2 billion lost last year can't be a good thing, although a lot of it I'm assuming has to do with the research & development and marketing of their new Skyactiv technology. You gotta spend money to make money, they've spent a lot of money, hopefully they make a lot more.

Partially unrelated gripe... look up 2013 Mazda5 in Youtube... I can tell you those are not Mazda 5s.

Well not only R&D but the Yen has been going up and it's hurting them badly since all their cars are manufactured in Japan.

For me, the driving feel is important. I think that the Mazda products provide a good road feel, accelerate well, and handle well. There are definitley some downsides, but I think the good outweighs the bad. It is like VW's which leak, have electrical issues, crappy power windows, but they feel right when driving them. I gues that is why I have had 13 of them. My 2010 Mazda 5 is my third Mazda product.

The only reason I would have considered NOT buying a Mazda is because their fuel efficiency was slipping in comparison to other makers. Now that the Skyactive is out, Mazda is back to being my first choice. People tend to forget that 100 cars with 100 problems, on average, is a very good rating. Meaning: you will most likely have at least one problem with your car, even if it's a Lexus. Mazda replaced my PS pump, which was my one problem, having owned up to their problem, and I couldn't be happier about the way they handled it. My current Civic, not so happy. That car has a number of issues that Honda knows about and they keep dumping them out of the factories as is. My '09 Accord coupe V6: legendary POS, a real jaw dropper.

Back