The Next-Generation Mazda CX-5 Will Be Hybrid

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The Next-Generation Mazda CX-5 Will Be Hybrid - by Adrian Padeanu, motor1.com

A hybrid CX-50 is also planned.

With 153,808 units sold last year, the CX-5 was Mazda's best-selling model in North America by far. That's despite the fact the compact crossover is getting old, having been around since 2017. A new generation has now been officially confirmed. The announcement was quietly made in a document related to the company's financial results for the fiscal year ending on March 31, 2024.

The only other piece of information shared by Mazda is that the third-generation model will employ a hybrid powertrain developed in-house. The Japanese brand refrained from mentioning whether it'll be a traditional hybrid or one with plug-in capabilities. It's worth noting the company has been using Toyota's hybrid know-how for some models. In China, there's a CX-50 with the Toyota RAV4's electrified bits. In the same document, Mazda says a hybrid CX-50 is planned for other markets in the second half of 2024.

When the CX-50 came out in 2022, some wondered whether the CX-5 would be retired. But as it turns out, the two models will peacefully coexist. That makes sense considering the CX-5 was nearly three and a half times more popular in North America than the CX-50 last year.

When the CX-50 came out in 2022, some wondered whether the CX-5 would be retired. But as it turns out, the two models will peacefully coexist. That makes sense considering the CX-5 was nearly three and a half times more popular in North America than the CX-50 last year.

That said, we can't help but notice how the company's SUV range is getting crowded. The CX-70 and CX-90 have joined the portfolio on the new rear-wheel-drive platform with bigger inline-six engines. Although the attractive electric Mazda6 is also mentioned in the document, it’ll be sold only in China where a plug-in hybrid will be available as well.

What comes next? Mazda promises its first EV on a dedicated platform will be released in 2027, followed by a "full scale launch of EVs" from 2028 until 2030.

Very disappointing. Don't mind a Hybrid option, but forcing it does not sit well with me.

If it's anything like Toyota's hybrid system, removing all the accessory belts, sounds like a win. Battery replacements will be costly, but the fuel savings would more than makeup for it long term, on top of improved low-end torque for the naturally aspirated engines for a better driving experience in town.

This might be the next CX-5... get some cues from this. (Beijing Auto Show)
Arata (kanji (Chinese character) = creation)
Hybrid (2.0L + EM) or BEV (no mentioning of PHEV, but why not?)
New EV platform from Mazda.

1715632708746.png
1715632724959.png

European CX5s (all are NA engine) have hybrid option for the past year or two so its not surprising introducing it to the US market. Thats the general direction anyway.

I'd be onboard with a PHEV... I'm not ready for full electric but also am not going gas only on next vehicle for the commute.
Yeh for EV the infrastructure (charging stations) simply isn’t there yet in the US, not to mention those 1-second-for-1-km super fast charging stations which now are available in China. The EV range isn’t long enough either in the US like the 1,000km / 621.37 mile EV range which is the norm in China now due to more advanced battery technology by CATL and BYD. Now the new 102.5% tariff imposed against Chinese EVs will further prevent us to see those Chinese EVs here even though the EV sales worldwide from China now are no. 1.

Mild Hybrid is already in the UK and Europe and I've got the one since 2023.
While Mild Hybrid is nothing but marketing hype a proper hybrid with both petrol and electric engines could be nice option making this sluggish SUV more nippy. On the downside is that would lift the price of the car significantly.

My next vehicle will likely be a PHEV.
My commute is 15-mile one way. I just need 30 mile of range.
Why lugging a heavy battery around to mitigate range anxiety?
I just need a 10kwh battery pack on board, instead of a 100kwh one.

95% of my travels will be using electricity. Home charging with 240v in garage.
Totally make sense to me.

My next vehicle will likely be a PHEV.
My commute is 15-mile one way. I just need 30 mile of range.
Why lugging a heavy battery around to mitigate range anxiety?
I just need a 10kwh battery pack on board, instead of a 100kwh one.

95% of my travels will be using electricity. Home charging with 240v in garage.
Totally make sense to me.
My next new vehicle will be a PHEV too. A friend of mine has a Prius Prime for more than 7 years in San Jose area and he has only filled up the gas tank TWICE!

For EV in the US the infrastructure would still be a problem for longer road trip with EV range shorter and super fast charging stations lacking. But the weight shouldn’t be the concern as you reduced the weight without an engine and transmission. And the latest battery technology features much longer range with smaller size and lighter weight. The maintenance for an EV will be much simpler too and we moved the pollution problems to the power plants for better air quality. The only major obstacle IMO for EVs is the extremely cold weather.

Last edited:
I believe there is plenty of bulls*** around BEV and all those climate crisis panic. BEV in fact are neither better for environment nor practical if you do longer journeys. I will go to EV only when there is hydrogen infrastructure available, so it will not be BEV but EV with hydrogen cell like Toyota Mirai.
Meanwhile happy to consider PHEV option of CX-5 if available or even old-fashioned hybrid without plug-in functionality.

I believe there is plenty of bulls*** around BEV and all those panic. BEV in fact are neither better for environment nor practical if you do longer journeys. I will go to EV only when there is hydrogen infrastructure available, so it will not be BEV but EV with hydrogen cell like Toyota Mirai.
Meanwhile happy to consider PHEV option of CX-5 if available or even old-fashioned hybrid without plug-in functionality.
I used to believe climate change isn’t real like you. But after our roof totaled 3 times in 5 years with hail damage a few years ago, and the home owner insurance skyrocketed from $800 per year to $2,000 last year to $4,000 this year, I have to believe there’s climate change crisis! See how big the hail was falling near our city just several days ago, not to mention tornados:

8B8E274C-7AEA-43C0-A84D-F2CC5F55DA1B.jpeg

Hydrogen cell vehicles like Toyota Mirai? IMO I’ll wait until it’s viable especially on the infrastructure. In US even the much easier infrastructure for BEV has a long way to go. I simply can’t imagine building a infrastructure for hydrogen cell vehicles. Not in my lifetime for sure.

“The production of hydrogen using renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, is not yet commercially viable on a large scale. Storage and transportation of hydrogen is also very costly, with complex engineering and materials involved in keeping it contained.”

BTW, pretty soon you may not have a choice NOT to buy an EV even in the US as in California where the California Advanced Clean Car II Regulations announced in August 2022 which requires 35% of new-car sales to be zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) in 2026 and 68% in 2030 before reaching 100%, a total ICE ban by 2035!

Hold on, I've never believed that the climate is constant. We live in interglacial period regardless we want it or not. The only fact that I negate is that climate change is driven by CO2 emissions.

In Europe, where I live (or in the UK actually), our politicians are burning any tax payers money to combat climate change, and still asking for more and more and more. In a consequence in heavy SUVs like CX-5 manufacturers install 3 cylinder 1.0l or maximum 1.5l turbocharged engines. CX-5 with its 2.0, however NA engine, is an exception here. The next steps which are discussed now is total SUV ban and finally a ban on having a car at all as private property.

I'm absolutely sure that if Europe stopped emitting CO2 completely within one day, the climate even wouldn't notice this. It is however great business for some.

P.S.
Burning fuel internally in ICE, even if it is far less efficient than EV, is much more effective than burning fuel in the power plant, generating energy, sending it through the grid, transforming the voltage, converting AC to DC and charging the battery. They are losses in each of those steps where energy is being lost in a form of heat.

As I contemplate my next new car purchase, the odds of me buying a 3rd CX5 (had a 2014, have a 2020) just increased from near-zero (only because I like variety; I love CX5s) to maybe 85%. If I have any complaint about my 2020, it's that I think it should be better than 26 mpg lifetime. Give me 35 mpg and the seamless stop-start of a Prius, and I"m in!

Hydrogen cell vehicles like Toyota Mirai? IMO I’ll wait until it’s viable especially on the infrastructure. In US even the much easier infrastructure for BEV has a long way to go. I simply can’t imagine building a infrastructure for hydrogen cell vehicles. Not in my lifetime for sure.
Why not? Majority of energy from wind and PV we are losing because it is mainly generated when we don't really need it. Hydrogen generation requires plenty of energy, however it could be generated locally at fuel stations just using excess of the generation from renewables. In Europe there is very few stations where you can refill your hydrogen car at the moment but it may change pretty soon. The bigger concern would be replacement of all the ICEs with BEVs - especially because of huge ramp up of power demands and no infrastructure for sending this excessive power demand.

Hold on, I've never believed that the climate is constant. We live in interglacial period regardless we want it or not. The only fact that I negate is that climate change is driven by CO2 emissions.

In Europe, where I live (or in the UK actually), our politicians are burning any tax payers money to combat climate change, and still asking for more and more and more. In a consequence in heavy SUVs like CX-5 manufacturers install 3 cylinder 1.0l or maximum 1.5l turbocharged engines. CX-5 with its 2.0, however NA engine, is an exception here. The next steps which are discussed now is total SUV ban and finally a ban on having a car at all as private property.

I'm absolutely sure that if Europe stopped emitting CO2 completely within one day, the climate even wouldn't notice this. It is however great business for some.

P.S.
Burning fuel internally in ICE, even if it is far less efficient than EV, is much more effective than burning fuel in the power plant, generating energy, sending it through the grid, transforming the voltage, converting AC to DC and charging the battery. They are losses in each of those steps where energy is being lost in a form of heat.
Ha, I agree with you on almost everything you’ve said. Remember I said earlier that “we moved the pollution problems to the power plants for better air quality” by using the BEV, and “I have to believe there’s climate change crisis!” because my home owner insurance just doubled from $2,000 per year last year to $4,000 this year!

Back