Polk/MOMO 6 3/4" component speakers

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
Hey guys, another audio question!!

I have a set of Polk/MOMO MM6 component speakers, with a 1" tweeter and a 6.75" (6 3/4") midbass speaker....pulled them out of my old car today.

The tweeters fit it just fine to the sail panel enclosure in the MSP...needed a bit of trimming with a Dremel but they popped in just fine. I also wired in the crossover so I don't damage the tweeters.

Now, I still have the midbass speakers to put in.

How much of a problem will it be to fit these babies into the front doors? In my old car I had to trim a bit of metal away inside the door to allow for the larger mounting depth. What would it take to install them in the front doors?

Also, how do you get to the front door speakers? I was spoiled by my old car which just had a metal grille over them that popped right off. By the looks of it I'm going to have to take the whole door panel off. Is this so?

you pull off the door skin to get to the speakers. Then you make a wood spacer (up to 15/32" thick. You use the old speakers to make the mounting holes in the spacers (sort of...you kinda have to be as accurate as possible...using the old speakers gets you relatively close.) and counter sink those mounting holes. then you use your dremel to trim the rim of the speaker hole on the door skin. I'll get you a few pics.

Pics...Rim already trimmed:
Rim-Trim.JPG

The speaker on the spacer:
My-spk-on-RnD-spacer.JPG

that is basically what I did also. made an adapter that would bring the speaker away from the winder. I then also had to trim my door panel. same as servo did. plus the adapter not only moves the speaker out, but it makes it so you can but a round speaker in an oval hole. I also have pics. adn I have some posted. so let me know if you need to see more pics. I will search for them and give ya the link.

Thanks for the info and the pics..looks like it's going to be more time consuming than I thought. Doesn't look too hard though.

Would it be possible to install the tweeters along side the midranges? Or would that be more trouble than it's worth?

It's lots of trouble for the tweeters...but not too hard. I made the spacers big enough that I could fashion a bridge mount for the tweeters out of 8ga solid copper wire. It's cheap, but it takes time to bend then right. I made those for Matthew as a one time deal...my hands hurt for days afterwards.

You could always sell the components that you have and put the money toward some braxial components. CDT has some. the tweet is already mounted on the mid. easy to install. not cheap to buy. http://www.cdtaudio.com/Classic_Braxial.htm the cl63 series is the 6.5's. your other option is got wake sells some adapters for 5.25 in speakers. that dont help either since you have 6.5's. it is possible to make what you want, but not goingto be super easy.

Of course...if he likes his speakers then it's all worth the trouble. Matthew seems to like how his stuff turned out, as far as I can tell.

I agree. I liked my speakers so much I did not even check to see what would fit in my doors. I had not discovered this website when I did my install. I just took the door panel off and knew I was going to make them fit no matter what. and knew the trouble would be worth it cause I love my speakers. your other options are. putting the tweet up high by the sail panel. or you can put it in the door like servo did. service mount it. looks nice but you have to cut a hole in the door panel.

I think I'm going to go with the tweeters in the sail panels (where they are now) and make the mounting adaptor for the midranges in the doors.

That's the way it was installed in my old car, and it sounded great.

And yes, I really do like these speakers...they are very smooth, and it's a huge upgrade from the stock MSP speakers.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Back