Off Topic PSA - JBL speaker scam

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
After recently buying speakers from JBL's website, I received what appeared to be a legitimate offer from JBL, albeit, too good to be true (and it was)

The offer was for a JBL Charge 5 Bluetooth speaker, reg sale price of $129.95 for $19.95, w/shipping included.

I know what you're thinking, you're an idiot, how could anyone fall for that?

The email that I received looked 100% authentic. No misspellings, no crazy fonts, and all the links looked correct. The link that took me to the page to buy the speaker also looked real, as did the page where the purchase info was entered. This page even fooled my browsers (MS Edge) security into auto filling my credit card info, and yes, it appeared to be a secure page since the URL began with https along with JBLs site name. I won't show you the link, unless you really want to see it? I just now received another email offer, same thing.

I'm a retired IT professional and I don't get fooled easily.

The day after I place my 'order' I still had not received a confirmation email nor had my CC been charged for the $19.95. I contacted JBL, the first person that I spoke with had no clue about this scam. She spoke with her supervisor, and, at that time, three others had fallen for the scam and had contacted JBL about this. There must be more out there, probably waiting for their new speakers.

I contacted my CC company and told them what had happened. My new CC is on its way with the old one cancelled.

As usual, Caveat Emptor!

Last edited:
Always good to be aware of these scams, especially this time of year. Thanks for bringing it to light!

Stay safe out there folks.

The fallout has settled, and I have a new credit card. It seems that the only negative left over is that my email spam filter is taking a beating. I went from an average of ~5 junk emails per day to a record high of 46. The most that I had received before this was ~10.

Back