Nology Kit Available

Equinox said:
apparently most dealers sell them for about 154 or so, (sorry Captain) =p so I'm not worried about getting in on the group buy now, but I WILL get these wires, just need to spend money on turbo gauges and what not, right now

no apologies needed - i run a small operation so some of the other places out there will beat me out on some prices, some of thier prices i can beat on certain items.

i'm working with another distributor right now to get a better deal on these wires.

Captain KRM P5 said:
no apologies needed - i run a small operation so some of the other places out there will beat me out on some prices, some of thier prices i can beat on certain items.

i'm working with another distributor right now to get a better deal on these wires.
:) that will be great, I rather buy stuff from you :D

Hell Ken, I was just happy to find a vendor who sells the MSP floor mats. The fact that you're a forum member makes it all the better.

vodapas77 said:
Hell Ken, I was just happy to find a vendor who sells the MSP floor mats. The fact that you're a forum member makes it all the better.

thanks much :)

Captain KRM P5 said:
thanks much :)

yes I would feel better buying from you, but not good enough to not save 45$, maybe a diff of 15 but that's it! lol

I keep an eye on your site, and appreciate your taking the risk of products, I would buy your in dash screen but I'm paying parts of turbo pieces, I'll get it if you stay up in business tho =)

I've never seen so many people get excited about spending $150 on something that doesn't do anything. Obviously no one here has done any research into spark plug wires. Read the FAQ on Magnacore's web site or give MSD a call and ask them what they think about Nology.

Better yet, call a reputable tuner shop and ask them about Nology wires. Here's what they'll tell you:

1. Making a brighter visible flash doesn't do a better job of igniting fuel.

2. Nology wires foul spark plugs.

3. Spark plug wires only make power if the ones you're running are shot.

4. New factory spark plug wires (for $30) do just as good a job of providing spark as Nology wires.

5. Nology wires are a waste of money.

I'm don't mean this as hate, just trying to save everyone from wasting their money. Of course, If you're buying them for the colors and that's worth $150 to you, go for it!

Check these links for reference

http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/engine/all_dont_use_nology_wires.html

http://users.argolink.net/sutton/GSR.htm

Go down the page on the last one to:

Then when i took it for a test drive the car was misfiring pretty bad. Culprit: the Nology Plug wires were arching. This is probably what blew the ignition coil out in the first place. The coil was old and going to die soon, but the extra resistance from bad plug wires didn't help. Now I have custom plug wires made by Nathaniels.

Another quote:

"Nology

Nology claims in the ads that "2-5 % More Horsepower, More Torque, Higher Top Speed, Quicker Acceleration, Easy Starting, Better Running, Longer Life, No Fouling" will be available just by installing their plugs. They also go on to claim that "HotWires (TM) work on any engine and with any ignition system, and are custom-made to fit any application. (Legal for use only on racing vehicles which may never be used on a public highway.)" This is all done because "HotWires (TM) create the most powerful spark possible."

HotWires (TM) are the only spark plug wires with a built-in capacitor. This internal capacitor transforms any spark into a HotWire (TM) spark: a spark 300 times more powerful. HotWires (TM) produce horsepower. Aha, and if you believe this after reading this article, we must really talk about this bridge I know that is going for a rock bottom price. If you look at their ads we can see a) A side by side picture, one with a big, fat spark in the "Nology wire" side versus the ordinary side. Well, there is one glaring omissions in both of those pictures - we see a ground wire on one side, two pointy electrodes (a spark's best friend), and a blue high tension wire.. but no Nology wire! The pictures are true but they are showing you what would happen across a gap if you pump up the voltage 10-20X over the minimum needed to jump the gap - they are not showing actual performance of their wires under real conditions. B) A range chart of temperatures, etc., some of incredible levels. If we stop and think of these ranges for a moment we will quickly see that these kind of operating environments would immediately destroy a spark plug since it would arc out, melt into slag or simply evaporate the electrodes. What is a Nology wire finally? Just a basic solid wire, with minimal resistance, and a silicone jacket covered by a very necessary metallic ground jacket.

The "capacitor" is there, it is just akin to those "spark gaps" that JC Whitney used to sell that you clip onto plugs to help fire oily plugs - its main function is to provide some "resistance" since the wire are non-resistor and allow the voltage to build up behind it before discharging to the gap across the plug. Kinda like taking a hose, turning it on full while holding the end in a kink - when you feel the pressure, you can let go and you get a nice big splash out the end, more than what you would normally, for a short while anyway. It's not a bad idea, it just does not add any value to today's high voltage, microsecond switching ignition systems. Basically, these particular wires will work, but their Achilles heel is that they are highly dependent on having an excellent ground supplied to the wire's shield at all times or the EMF impulses will remind you, your car's ECU, your stereo and probably your neighborhood of how annoying (and probably malfunctioning to your car's electronics) spark noise is. Due to this glaring weakness, they are no better and probably worse than a standard OEM wire."

Yeah, I did a search for "nology hotwires problem". Didn't really turn up anything more. There's always going to be some complaints on any product, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern here. The way I see it is as long as performance doesn't get worse, then I'm happy with the looks and getting the coils off the valve cover, and anything else is gravy. There's probably as many complaints on our stock coilpacks/wires, and certainly more on the Sparkco wires, at least that I've read.

vodapas77 said:
scarmiglio has found some valuable information. I encourage all those considering purchasing these wires to look at the links he has posted. However, every story has two sides. So, I also encourage you to look at these threads that a google search for "Nology Hotwires" returned.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/reviews/nology/

http://www.miata.net/products/perform/nology.html

True that every story has two sides, but the first article doesn't tell us much as they were installed on a new vehicle, and the second one doesn't say much either.

The OE manufacturers are moving toward wire free ignition systems for a reason - one less part to deal with/fix/replace, etc... In a few years, I doubt any cars will have ignition wires at all. Many new cars are sold with 1 coil pack per cylinder. I haven't really heard any issues with coil packs, and I think that if the OEs are heading in that direction, there's probably a good reason. I definitely wouldn't want to relocate my coil packs and add two more spark plug wires. All that does is add two more things that can break/malfunction and need to be replacement!

I guess I've said my piece. Take it for what it's worth.

One more thing (I couldn't resist):

"CAPACITOR" EFFECT WIRES with grounded metal braiding over jacket

The most notable of exaggerated claims for ignition wires are made by Nology, a recent manufacturer of ignition wires promoted as "the only spark plug wires with built-in capacitor." Nology's "HotWires" (called "Plasma Leads" in the UK) consist of unsuppressed solid metal or spiral conductor ignition wires over which braided metal sleeves are partially fitted. The braided metal sleeves are grounded via straps formed from part of the braiding. Insulating covers are fitted over the braided metal sleeves. These wires are well constructed. For whatever reason, Nology specifies that non-resistor spark plugs need to be used with their "HotWires." In a demonstration, the use of resistor plugs nullifies the visual effect of the brighter spark.

Ignition wires with grounded braided metal sleeves over the cable have come and gone all over the world for (at least) the last 30 years, and similar wires were used over 20 years ago by a few car makers to solve cross-firing problems on early fuel injected engines and RFI problems on fiberglass bodied cars only to find other problems were created. The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue) test showed Nology "HotWires" produced no additional horsepower (the test actually showed a 10 horsepower decrease when compared to stock carbon conductor wires).

The perceived effect a brighter spark, conducted by an ignition wire, encased or partially encased in a braided metal sleeve (shield) grounded to the engine, jumping across a huge free-air gap (which bears no relationship to the spark needed to fire the variable air/fuel mixture under pressure in a combustion chamber) is continually being re-discovered and cleverly demonstrated by marketers who convince themselves there's monetary value in such a bright spark, and all sorts of wild, completely un-provable claims are made for this phenomena.

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their "HotWires" creating sparks that are "300 times more powerful," reaching temperatures of "100,000 to 150,000 degrees F" (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of "4 billionths of a second" (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use these wires if not grounded to the engine, as the grounding straps will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or body) nearby.

Unless you are prepared to accept poorly suppressed ignition wires that fail sooner than any other type of ignition wires and stretch your ignition system to the limit, and have an engine with no electronic management system and/or exhaust emission controls, it's best not to be influenced by the exaggerated claims, and some vested-interest journalists', resellers' and installers' perception an engine has more power after Nology wires are fitted. Often, after replacing deteriorated wires, any new ignition wires make an engine run better.

question... do you think that the magnacore are any better than nology?, i meen way better? because the magnacore are half the price but are only two wires. also the nology comes with a lifetime waranty(which to be honest, i havent looked into yet, so i don't know if it's bull) so if they fail I can always get new ones to replace them or sell them and get my oem back.

I think that stock wires are the best way to go. They're innexpensive and they work great! There are better places to spend money than on spark plug wires.

why did they make the lines soooo long.... the shorter the better...too much waste.

interesting idea..and if you do increase performance...in the long run the better fuel economy would pay itself off.

Back