New BC Suspension Install

The rear is adjusted on top, but of course, you have to take out the trunk lining to get to it. BC does sell an elongated adjuster that can be passed through the plastic trim pieces.

any one have a pic of this?

PS- Order your coilovers from import image. they've got awesome prices and super fast shipping.

If you read the directions, it actually says NOT to adjust the ride height that way. You end up reducing the distance the suspension can travel

To adjust the height, you loosen the locking ring at the lower bracket, spin it up, then rotate the whole assembly. It's not "easy" but will work. You want to make sure the threads are clean, though. This is good for minor adjustments. If you're wanting to make large adjustments, it'd be easier to just take the bolts out and spin the bracket, but you'll end up needing an alignment. Unless you're sure that you haven't changed the camber.

oh, crap! i didn't read the instructions... only because they were mostly in a language that i couldn't read/understand and the little bit they translated into english was just as difficult to decipher. i'm only about a 1/2 inch below the factory setting but i did not adjust from the bottom. but if you aren't supposed to use the two locking rings in the middle of the strut then what are they for?

oh, crap! i didn't read the instructions... only because they were mostly in a language that i couldn't read/understand and the little bit they translated into english was just as difficult to decipher. i'm only about a 1/2 inch below the factory setting but i did not adjust from the bottom. but if you aren't supposed to use the two locking rings in the middle of the strut then what are they for?

Not really sure why they would give u the option if you're not suppose to but yeah, you're suppose to spin the bottom up to go lower and spin it down to go higher.

thanks. those are crazy long haha.

they really only stick out a few inches above the rear panel... they are hardly noticeable, i can't even see them in the rear view. but i must say it's really nice to be able to adjust them any time i like.

Not really sure why they would give u the option if you're not suppose to but yeah, you're suppose to spin the bottom up to go lower and spin it down to go higher.

Essentially what the instructions warn against is loosening apart the two locking rings that support the coil spring. They are used together however to adjust ride height. The lower one to raise and the upper one to lower, each locking against the other and causing the whole threaded tube assembly to rotate.
Ever used the 2 nut method to install or remove a stud? Same principle.

Essentially what the instructions warn against is loosening apart the two locking rings that support the coil spring. They are used together however to adjust ride height. The lower one to raise and the upper one to lower, each locking against the other and causing the whole threaded tube assembly to rotate.
Ever used the 2 nut method to install or remove a stud? Same principle.

whoa... i'm getting thoroughly confused now. not sure which rings should be tightened/loosened/moved and which should not and for what reason. i'm gonna have a look at my BCs tomorrow and try to sort it out.

Going from top to bottom, there are 3. 2 for the spring itself and one for the bottom where the hub bolts up. You're suppose to leave the 2 for the spring alone so the spring is under some pressure and you mess with the 3rd one so you can move the bottom piece of the strut up and down.

Going from top to bottom, there are 3. 2 for the spring itself and one for the bottom where the hub bolts up. You're suppose to leave the 2 for the spring alone so the spring is under some pressure and you mess with the 3rd one so you can move the bottom piece of the strut up and down.

ok, that sounds simple enough. but then why in god's name are the two rings under the spring adjustable? why not a fixed perch under the spring instead? and why can't you rotate the body of your strut?

No sure, maybe so you can go lower? lol.

Well I tried to just turn it with my hands but these guys are saying you need to use the spanners on the rings and turn it that way. Never tried it like that.

The top two are to adjust preload on the spring and are preset out of the box.

Greg, put some muscle into it! I raised (gasp!) my car 1/2" today just by grabbing and turning. Didn't even have to loosen the two 17mm's

I grab and turn....and sometimes spanner if needed

circuit... that 1/2 inch raise is unacceptable.....

ok, that sounds simple enough. but then why in god's name are the two rings under the spring adjustable? why not a fixed perch under the spring instead? and why can't you rotate the body of your strut?

I see what hes saying, two ring spanners under the spring; If you want to turn the WHOLE assembly to the left, and pull the damper out of the bottom cup(raise the car) U can only use the bottom spanner of the two under the spring. If your tried to turn it out by the top one, that top one wud just simply break aloose and spin by itself leaving the bottom one in place. visa versa for the top one. u grab the top one to turn the damper downwards through the bottom cup. tho I may have my directions backwards.

this fixed perched wud have to be really locked and fixed in the damper's thread, which probly isnt good for business.

Good lookin out mspeed, i never thought that..but i understood what hes saying.

Last edited:
I grab and turn....and sometimes spanner if needed

circuit... that 1/2 inch raise is unacceptable.....

Sorry =( I was rubbing my front fenders even at low speeds with only me in the car. She looked awesome, but I couldn't take corners at speed at all. She is still tucking tire in the rear (not reverse raked though). I am going to take out some camber so the wheels sit a bit more flush too.

Let's say you wanted to change your spring rate and replace the spring, but the one you order isn't the same length. This allows you to adjust the spring perch w/o affecting the ride height. This design also allows BC to use the same strut "cartridge" and just change out the other pieces from car to car. Kind of ingenious, if you ask me.

Let's say you wanted to change your spring rate and replace the spring, but the one you order isn't the same length. This allows you to adjust the spring perch w/o affecting the ride height. This design also allows BC to use the same strut "cartridge" and just change out the other pieces from car to car. Kind of ingenious, if you ask me.

whew, that actually makes sense. there had to be a reason for the two locking rings....

well yeah... without them where would the spring perch sit?? (boom01)

i was just referring to the fact that there are two adjustable rings instead of a fixed perch. obviously the spring has to sit on something...

Back