How do you detail your gauge display and interior w/o scratching it?

I was going to look on the net for detailing kits for interior, but I am getting dust/dirt on the dash, the clear gauge display and smudges on the shifter bezel, etc. And I wondered, how do I not scratch and clean like new? Clay? erasers? microcloths? ANY suggestion, hints, etc, I appreciate. Also, about the nano sprays like Turtlewax, do you all see less washing? I've a 2017 w/mica blue, and want to keep it kinda clean, not car show clean. Thanks.

The plastic lenses appear to be quite soft, making it hard to keep them clean without introducing at least some minor swirl marks. I use the softest microfiber I can find, then I dampen it with a quick detailer and spray the lenses very lightly for good lubrication. Always use a clean, lightly dampened microfiber for final wipe.

You could also use those slime/jelly cleaners and roll it over the lenses to pick up as much loose dirt as possible before using the microfiber.

I use lens (eyeglass) wipes. No matter what you do you're going to get micro scratches, can't be eliminated unless you don't touch the plastic.

I recall one day years ago on my old Kawasaki Ninja with a plastic gauge, there was a smudge in the plastic and I could not for the life of me get it out no matter how much rubbing alcohol I used, as a matter of fact the smudge got worse. Took longer than I care to admit to figure out rubbing alcohol and plastic lenses are a bad mix.

I suppose that isn't much help to your problem, but if it is dust you are tackling, compressed air does wonders, or a very very soft detailing brush with a vacuum hovering slightly above. Use the brush to kick out dust and dirt from the nooks and crannies, and the vacuum sucks it up from the air from there. That is my preferred method whenever doing interior detailing on my cars, I rarely ever actually clean my gauges with any sort of chemicals/cloths.

With materials like these soft acrylics, never work dry and always use a liquid with emulsification and lubricative properties. A rinseless wash is very good for this task. I keep a gallon of DIY Detail Rinseless Wash in the garage and mix it with distilled water in the proper ratio (250:1). You could also use an interior cleaner with ceramic, such as Hybrid Solutions Inside Job.

And be aware that it is the dust causing the most scratches as it moves along.

Last edited:
Back