NEMOC Random BS Thread

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Same to you Chris and Amanda! And all the nemoc peeps where ever you are now!
4d5295ec08c40dd73feafc648366b5d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Weather is unseasonably warm so enjoyed some top down driving this morning. No crazy Black Friday shopping for me, needed some fake snow and electrical tape so I could finish putting out the Christmas decorations.

Bruce, are you anywhere near Corry Station? I spent a year and a half there training.

Had a great thanksgiving! We're all down in NC on lake Norman. Going to do some boating tomorrow!

Been a super holiday weekend here. Hope everyone's was the same.

Looking to get a tune from TDR in January. They have a sale on now and will buy it and get the tune later. Will phone them and see what tuning options are.

Also noticed the engine temps are creeping up. Used to be 180's and now seem to be 190's. Suspect that the tstat will need to be changed.

Sounds nice Mark. We are enjoying the warm weather here too. Initially they were calling for rain today but the sun is shining.

Yes, has been a great Holiday weekend here too. Worked my last shift at the Country Club last night so now my weekends are free! :)

Cool Bruce, I know you've been looking to get a tune. What temp gauge are you using? I've been playing around with the idea of getting one of Ben's vent mounts and a temp gauge along with an OP gauge since I found out the stock NC gauge is a dummy (imagine that). I guess as long as the needle is jumping around it's all good but if it stops jumping it's already too late.

Bought some new rubber yesterday, BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S in 205/50/16. Going to get them mounted on the Miata next week and will use them this winter. In the spring I'll swap them over to the P5 for summer use. Next year I'll start shopping for a dedicated winter set for the Miata.

Using a DashHawk for watching the temp, volts and Air Temps.

The OP is controlled by the CPU. I find it better than the Temp gauge which to me is useless. I only know the temp is not normal lately because of the DashHawk. The OP I found to be fairly good for reporting OPs. I would get a scan guage and not worry about the OP.

The intake kit I was looking at for the REPU is out of stock, and not sure if it will work with my block anyway. Lui is talking about getting everything separately and having his buddy fabricate the manifold. I'm leaving him to figure it out as I don't know how to talk the talk with this stuff and the vendors are hard to get in touch with. Essentially the plan is to install a quad throttle body, one for each intake port to maximize torque. It's a bit different than the typical dual weber style you typically see. RX8 fuel injectors. AEM smart coils (no need for ignition box, they are wired straight to ECU). Electronic crank sensor replaces the distributer. Basically completely modern ignition and fuel system all controlled by the Adaptronic ECU. Wideband, throttle position sensor, temps, all plug and play into the adaptronic harness.

We're also thinking about getting a chassis wiring harness kit. I talked about upgrading the fuse box and that lead to a number of things that need to be done We'll control an electric fan from the ECU and there are a number of other circuits that we need. Doesn't make sense to piggy back things on old fault prone wiring. There are so few electronics and we're going to do a wire tuck anyway that it just makes sense to rewire everything down to the turn signals. It will make integration with the Adaptronic easier too.

We did some quick measurements and it looks like an RX8 transmission will drop in. I would have to get an electronic to analog speedometer converter if I wanted to keep the factory gauge. That will likely be phase 2 though, when we pull the motor to port it, it will go back in with a new transmission, flywheel, clutch, etc.

So yeah, haven't ordered any parts yet...but I'm getting excited. I was out driving the other day and the carb doesn't like the cold. It starts up fine with the choke and all, but on the highway it stalls intermittently. I don't drive it much in the winter but since we haven't had any snow I'm still trying to take it out once a week. Lui expects to see us go from 115hp to about 150hp with the ignition and fuel upgrades. Not sure if I shared the dyno sheet here but it is super lean right now so just a little more fuel can go a long way. Then when we do the porting, 200hp to the wheels at 10k rpm might be possible. I think that's a little wishful thinking...but if we get anywhere close to that I'm going to drop the suspension back down and put some performance rubber on it.

Other research projects....
A REPU showed up on BringATrailer a few weeks ago. Sold for $13k. It was nice, but not nearly as nice as mine. It had Miata seats in the cab. It's got me thinking about doing something similar...but with the white/orange exterior I don't think a black interior would work. Too bad there wasn't a white interior option for the NA miata. That truck also had a steering box from an '84 B2000. It supposedly has a slightly faster ratio...and less play. So, that's another upgrade in the back of my head...not hard to find one of those steering boxes and it's probably an afternoon job.

The intake kit I was looking at for the REPU is out of stock, and not sure if it will work with my block anyway. Lui is talking about getting everything separately and having his buddy fabricate the manifold. I'm leaving him to figure it out as I don't know how to talk the talk with this stuff and the vendors are hard to get in touch with. Essentially the plan is to install a quad throttle body, one for each intake port to maximize torque. It's a bit different than the typical dual weber style you typically see. RX8 fuel injectors. AEM smart coils (no need for ignition box, they are wired straight to ECU). Electronic crank sensor replaces the distributer. Basically completely modern ignition and fuel system all controlled by the Adaptronic ECU. Wideband, throttle position sensor, temps, all plug and play into the adaptronic harness.

We're also thinking about getting a chassis wiring harness kit. I talked about upgrading the fuse box and that lead to a number of things that need to be done We'll control an electric fan from the ECU and there are a number of other circuits that we need. Doesn't make sense to piggy back things on old fault prone wiring. There are so few electronics and we're going to do a wire tuck anyway that it just makes sense to rewire everything down to the turn signals. It will make integration with the Adaptronic easier too.

We did some quick measurements and it looks like an RX8 transmission will drop in. I would have to get an electronic to analog speedometer converter if I wanted to keep the factory gauge. That will likely be phase 2 though, when we pull the motor to port it, it will go back in with a new transmission, flywheel, clutch, etc.

So yeah, haven't ordered any parts yet...but I'm getting excited. I was out driving the other day and the carb doesn't like the cold. It starts up fine with the choke and all, but on the highway it stalls intermittently. I don't drive it much in the winter but since we haven't had any snow I'm still trying to take it out once a week. Lui expects to see us go from 115hp to about 150hp with the ignition and fuel upgrades. Not sure if I shared the dyno sheet here but it is super lean right now so just a little more fuel can go a long way. Then when we do the porting, 200hp to the wheels at 10k rpm might be possible. I think that's a little wishful thinking...but if we get anywhere close to that I'm going to drop the suspension back down and put some performance rubber on it.

Other research projects....
A REPU showed up on BringATrailer a few weeks ago. Sold for $13k. It was nice, but not nearly as nice as mine. It had Miata seats in the cab. It's got me thinking about doing something similar...but with the white/orange exterior I don't think a black interior would work. Too bad there wasn't a white interior option for the NA miata. That truck also had a steering box from an '84 B2000. It supposedly has a slightly faster ratio...and less play. So, that's another upgrade in the back of my head...not hard to find one of those steering boxes and it's probably an afternoon job.

Closest OEM you can get is the light beige, but that wouldn't look right.

FWIW, you could also get a pair of miata seats and get them custom reupholstered. The Katzkin kits are reasonably priced and work pretty well. There are plenty of stock miata seats that are cheap and would fit the bill.

Closest OEM you can get is the light beige, but that wouldn't look right.

FWIW, you could also get a pair of miata seats and get them custom reupholstered. The Katzkin kits are reasonably priced and work pretty well. There are plenty of stock miata seats that are cheap and would fit the bill.

I thought about that. Forgot about Katzkin though. I'd want the ones with the speakers...and I'd wire them up :) Anyone seen the "pearl" color? Is it pretty much white? I think I'd have to redo the door panels to match.

Been awhile since I visited here; who has a Silver Mazda 3 with black wheels and exhaust that took off and we played around for a bit on 101 westbound in NH? Very nice sound. Was honestly impressed and for a second thought it was Mazdaspeed 3. I was driving a silver WRX sedan :)

Chris, sounds like a cool project you have in the works. Keep us informed as you progress.

Attended another autox, this time in New Orleans. Zephyr Stadium parking lot. Had a blast, beautiful day weather wise. Best of all beat everyone on RAW and PAX. 1st time ever for me in a SCCA event. My head is still swimming.

Still need to swap out the Tstat.

Oh and yes, a big thanks to Chris for my latest Miata hat. Mark gave it to me when we attended an autox in Ayer. THANKS CHRIS!!

I thought about that. Forgot about Katzkin though. I'd want the ones with the speakers...and I'd wire them up :) Anyone seen the "pearl" color? Is it pretty much white? I think I'd have to redo the door panels to match.

Repus are popping up all over the place.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Bridgeported 13b is nice.. But that interior needs help. The "Custom" gauge box is hideous, and the seats need to be redone.

Yeah, there were 3 decent options available last week. One on BaT, two on eBay, and a couple of rough looking examples if you wanted a project. The price on the one you posted has been dropping $1k per week. $200 for a set of miata seats, toss the gauge box, get a decal set, and it's ready to go. Maybe swap out those mirrors for some chrome ones available on eBay. The grill wasn't painted the right color...but that's easily fixed. The wheels, although they are toyota, work and I actually thought about them for a while but couldn't find a set with the right offset. Down the road I would relocate the MSD boxes so they aren't right by your feet getting kicked. Overall, it's a solid $10-12k truck but I'd really want to lay eyes on it and inspect the underside.

Oh, just noticed...it needs a new dash or it has to be recovered. That's messy, but if the body work is solid, it's not something that would prevent me from buying it. I love that color. It's my favorite of the original colors. Too bad I already have one :(

Still not bad for an almost 40 year old truck!

Even with all the required fixes, I still think you'd be under 15k in terms of overall investment. The engine with the extra goodies isn't a bad thing to have either. I'm with you.. I'm not sure I like the location of the MSD boxes. I'm also not entirely sure why there needs to be two of them. I suppose that's my unfamiliarity with the finer details of rotary engines showing.

It looked like the frame and body were in good shape. With a few bucks, that thing could be a solid truck.

One for leading and one for trailing spark. I'm going with smart coils that can be run directly from the ECU without the ignition boxes.

But yes, 14-15k all in and you have something very unique that people flock to at car shows. The only hard part about owning these cars is finding parts unique to them...but with the body sorted, that's all taken care of. From here on out its about what RX7 performance parts you want to add.

Back